1200 Sport 4V

biesel

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent some good seat time on this bike, an '08, not the newest engine, but hey, who's kidding, it's the same bike. I like the looks of this bike, although cosmetic additions have to be done properly, and I'm sorry, but to me, those side pods could have/should have been eliminated with this model. They simply do not work styling wise. Anyways, The new EFI is a nice system, the bike makes all the correct sounds, feels great really. This bike has but one fault for me, and for me it is a fatal one. The sitting position is inexcusable. They put nice lower bars on it, but did nothing with the footrests or seat to compensate for the reach forward. So you end up with feet that are too forward, and even short term riding time comfort is very unacceptable.

I'm sorry, but they missed the mark on this bike with these two points. That these are relatively easy points that could have been addressed when this bike was put together 3 yrs ago is a real head shaker.

Steve

I'm disappointed with this model evolution.

This breva-based styling must go, especially now that the V12 engine is producing a street legal 110+hp. Put that motor in a MGS-01 chassis with naked styling...

http://ridethetorquecurve.blogspot.com/200...d-bodywork.html

I totally agree with you on this.

There are times when I come across a bike that I find myself forcing to like. All of the current machines at Moto Guzzi fall into this catagory. I don't hate them, I kind of think they're ok, but I'm trying to like them too much. It's not working. The things are not selling at the 2 dealers where I live. There's an '07

Breva sitting there, what a showroom dog!

Heck, it would not take hardly any amount of engineering to place MGS body panels on either the Griso frame or Breva frame. They could call it the MGS - 02, or the MGS Mk11. It's a no brainer, just on visual presence alone!! Look at the bodywork Gezzi Brian fixed up, it can't be that hard, really!

Steve

I'm disappointed with this model evolution.

This breva-based styling must go, especially now that the V12 engine is producing a street legal 110+hp. Put that motor in a MGS-01 chassis with naked styling...

Carc won't fit the MGS chassi, and just how do you end up with naked MGS styling the half fairing is most of the styling of the MGS.

Carc won't fit the MGS chassi, and just how do you end up with naked MGS styling the half fairing is most of the styling of the MGS.

I did not write anything about the CARC swingarm/shaft drive of the V12 or the styling of the MGS-01. I mentioned putting the V12 engine in the MGS chassis with Naked styling.... Nothing about the MGS-01 styling. Doesn't the photoshop picture within the link depict the V11 Naked bodywork placed on the MGS-01 chassis ?

What would it take to build a bike that contains:

the wheelbase, rake/trail, light weight wheels, the swingarm & rear suspension geometry taken from the MGS-01 and apply them to the now street legal engine?

Are you saying this new engine & transmission will not accept anything but the CARC shaft drive/single-sided swingarm? If so, it doesn't seem like an engineering or financial leap to put a different gearbox and swingarm on what would be a more sporting bike.

The CARC swingarm setup is not the most stylish execution either. Why go with a single-sided arm with a right-side drivetrain and an exhaust system that needs replaced in order to see any of the styling? I'd rather go with a more traditional swingarm that is probably lighter (there are some attractive traditional swingarms out now)

That's the whole frustration with this new Sport. It has zero styling. Now that we have a better motor, there's nothing there for the "Sport" to reach its true sales potential or continue the timeless style of the V11 Sport.

it's not that a traditional swingarm is impossible for Guzzi to make, they won't do it I think.

The new 8v engine gives a colision between frame and alternator when fitted to the v11/mgs01 frame.

However when you want to diy one yourself, it is possible, see the result here,

v11 frame, modified

other very small alternator

rsv factory forks

8v engine

Carc

This could be done more easy with v11 gearbox and rear.

Made by CP racing Roma

:

8v_1.JPG

8v_2.JPG

Thanks, Paul.

It would be nice for the factory to engineer a new frame that has very similar geometry as the MGS-01 (wheelbase, rake, trail) and mate it to the new motor.

The hp and torque are now there from the factory, just complete the deal with a chassis. (and scrap the breva styling when it comes to the sport model line....the Breva is good for its intended purpose)

The alternator is the big issue in a lot of ways. On most of the *new* bikes its location puts weight up high and it radically reduces space that coud be used for a decent sized airbox.

Given we are talking about a 'Sportsbike' why not, as on the Belagio, crank mount the alternator once more? one of the main points of using the location they do was to give the corn-cob pipe and suspender crowd 600W to play with so they could run their satnavs, heated seats and self warming indwelling catheters without the battery going flat! Yes it does allow the motor to be forward mounted a bit more so the weight bias is a bit better but we're still talking about a HUGE, HEAVY motor with a HUGE, HEAVY gearbox and final drive on the back. I'd think that quite cheaply you could design a frame that would work well and allow a bigger airbox and maybe even greater fuel capacity as well, (The 8V motor is quite thirsty, not something that worries me. if I was after thrift I'd be riding a Honda CT110! Once again it seems to be of concern to the pipe and 'spenders brigade though.). Use modern steering geometry and shorten up the wheelbase a bit, add some 'Praying Mantis' type styling for you blokes who like that sort of thing and Bob's yer uncle.

Personally I wouldn't want one because I'm far too old and fat to be comfortable on one for more than about 30 seconds, that is true of all modern 'Sports' bikes unfortunately and I think the Griso is the best looking bike to come out of Italy for decades, (with the possible exception of the 916 but thats a Ducati so it doesn't count as its a shitheap :lol: ) its a bike that if the factory had been asked to produce a machine specifically for ME they couldn't of done a better job! I love it, but I'm not so one-eyed as to think that it is going to be everyones' cup of tea.

I'm sorry, but the 1200 'Sport', with or without the 8V motor is still a mouse studying to become a rat. It's trying too hard to live up to being something it patently is not. If Piagio don't produce a 'Sporting' model with the 8V powerplant I'm afraid it will further confirm my suspicions about both the company and their motives. It would also be VERY sill of them not to as the MARKET, even in these tough times, is out there. They don't have a very good record on this sort of simple observation though....

Pete

What's with the Cali Vintage? It has the new engine, not? And a 5-speed gearbox, what is that, the old usual one from '72? Where is the alternator mounted? It definitely does have a good old swing arm, eh... doesn't it? I don't really know but I really assume it has.

Doesn't that mean we could put any of the usual gearboxes, with a swing arm, on a new style 8V Guzzi engine and put that plant in an MGS-01 frame? Without actually doing a lot of conversions. I do not know, I'm just asking.

The most tricky part in that project would be to find an MGS-01 frame :rolleyes: