• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the K1 looked like Venus de Milos compared to the Vincent Black Prince. Where do these guys get off designing this mess? You wold think they would get an outside opinion before throwing money and their reputation as designers off the cliff!

p.s. As progressive as BMW prides themselves on cutting edge technology,design,etc. I have seen only one new bike I would want in my posession, the F800.

The rest looks like someone was pi**ed off and wanted to sell the ugliest designs possible to the Co.

A couple that have missed the list.

For a classic, never has any manufacturer taken something so good as Norton did with the Commando Roadster and made it so bad with the "High Rider"

A short lived modern exercise in ugliness is BMW's cyclops the R1200ST.

picview.jpg

bmw_r1200st_rider.jpg

I guess this just shows beauty is in the beholder. From the lists here I've owned:

Yamaha XV920RH (Virago variant AKA the Yama-cati)

BMW K75 S (I still think a very pretty bike)

BMW R100R (OK, ugly but a great bike)

I consider exceptionally good looking:

Ducati Passo (Set trends that changed motorcycle styling)

BMW K1 (The only street bike ever designed for aerodynamics instead of looks)

K100RS (one of the most beautiful bikes ever released, especially in Madison Silver)

Everybody's got an opinion,

Lex

The BMW K1 is for sure a "function first" -- "form be damded" dseign. Not the first, or last. The Suzuki Hyabusa's shape is hugely built around aerodynamics. Where BMW went a step further was with the garish use of colors.

A couple that have missed the list.

For a classic, never has any manufacturer taken something so good as Norton did with the Commando Roadster and made it so bad with the "High Rider"

A short lived modern exercise in ugliness is BMW's cyclops the R1200ST.

Luckily with the Highrider, this can be recified easily. Serial numbers in Commando production did not designate model, so a quick change of seat, tank, and rear grab bar could restore your sorry ass Highrider to it's rightfull place as one of the most iconic bikes ever made.

The new 1200ST Beemer, yes, it fell out of the ugly tree hard!

suzuki gsxf750. ugh. might even be called a katana in some parts of the world. sob.

ducati multistrada.

honda deouville. yeah, I know that,s not how you spell it.

american virago thing(920?).

kawazaki z1300.

any full faired goldwing.

basically any bmw from 73-79.

sorry, too hung over, run out of ideas!

Anybody mention Honda Rune?

BS2006101212356_20079242029105558944-display.jpg

And (don't tell the F650 folks ;) ), the "funduro":

bmw.02.JPG

How about this one (well, maybe not, there's something cool/playful about it):

2007_KTM_Supermoto_690.jpg

Also IMO, any chopper-like cruiser with ape hangers (not to mention tassels).

How about this one (well, maybe not, there's something cool/playful about it):

2007_KTM_Supermoto_690.jpg

KTM missed the mark on that one but not by much. Get rid of the "big bird" beak and the Peterbilt smoke stacks and it wouldn't be too bad.

KTM missed the mark on that one but not by much. Get rid of the "big bird" beak and the Peterbilt smoke stacks and it wouldn't be too bad.
The "Peterbilt smoke stacks" :D supposedly come from their Dakar bikes where they must have had some rationale, though not sure I can figure it. The "beak" makes no sense.

OTOH, the new Duke looks very sexy IMO, at least from the pics.