V11 Le Mans Center Stand Kit

biesel

$200? They don't even cost that brand new.

From TLM:

014300000012" CENTER STAND V11SPORT Eu 144.82 $170.65 (exhange rate 24/10/03)

I popped $100 for mine on eBay. Just finished mounting it on the Sport 1100i about an hour ago. Springs are a nuisance...

• 9 months later...

Another shot, from the rear.

Two observations/concerns though...

1) The "feet" on the stand seem quite small, and might have the same issues as a side-stand with regard to sinking into soft pavement, etc

2) There is very little reinforcement of the legs at the lower extremes, and this is a relatively heavy bike, especially if loaded for a trip. I haven't personally seen/handled this stand, so it may indeed be very very sturdy, but just from these photos, I might worry that it would be easy to bend a leg :huh2:

But on a more positive note, I am pleased how the armature/bracketry for the stand seems to well concealed.

Now, again, if we can just see a photo of the stand stowed in the "up" position, that would give everyone a good and complete "picture" of how the stand fits the bike.

70_4.jpg

This is not to provoke a controversy but merely to state the fact;

I am happy that my V11 does not have a centerstand. Even if it had I would immediately take it off and sell it to one of you guys :D .

My last bike with a factory centerstand was my old FJ1100 and yes, I took it off and threw to the garbage on a second year of ownership. I remember it was more trouble then use; dragging in turns, hitting pavement on fast bumps (weak spring I would say) etc.

In almost 40 years of riding bikes i never had a situation when a centerstand would be of any use which would offset its weight and ugliness. Some people consider a centerstand as more secure way of parking but I disagree. It seems to me that any bike is more stable on a sidestand. Just think how stable a three legged table is or how much area is covered by the two- tires- and- the- kickstand-triangle versus one-tire-and-two-ceterstand-legs-triangle. When lubing the chain (if you have one) moving the bike few feet back and forth is not more trouble then putting up and down on centerstand.

Of course it goes without saying that you need a proper shop stand in your garage. It is so much more useful combined with a front wheel stand then a centerstand!

• 9 years later...

Is there something I should know about OEM stands that makes them so valuable?

Like incredible ergonomics that would allow a mere 10 year old to waft all 500lbs onto two feet without breaking so much as a sweat?

Or is it just 'must have' rarity?

Teks all sorts...!

• Like 1

Yea, that is a pretty crazy price, but I think you hit it on the head...it's just a 'must have' rarity item... I wouldn't mind trying one out (I like the look of bikes parked on centerstands), but I think I am just going to research the best workshop stand to buy instead.