Gas Mileage

cycdude6

On average, I get 40-45mpg consistantly and I generally don't hang about. That's with the ti' kit ecu and cans.

Fortunately, my employer is a wizard at setting-up fuel injection systems - unfortunately it's voodoo to me so all I can say is take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Hang-on, there may be a difference in US gallons and Imperial which would make the figures different??

I believe an Imperial gallon is bigger then a US gallon.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For an air-cooled, push-rod, 2 valve single plug head engine, a V-11 that get's over 35 mpg is doing very good. My 2004 LeMans has the Dynojet, K&N, head-pipe and cross-over modification but none of the money spent improved gas mileage. Improved throttle response, yes.

My Harleys also get about 35-40 mpg (also air-cooled, push-rod, 2 valve single plug head engines).

I have found that simple things like checking the air in the tires and tucking in behind the fairing will improve the fuel economy. Riding the speed limit is also a big improvement in fuel economy.

I have a friend with a hybrid car (Toyota Prius). He likes to brag that he gets 50 mph+ (that's on the freeway doing 55 mph). I commute everyday a travel at 80-120 mph and still get 35 mpg. There's no hybrid car getting 35 mpg when it traveling at 100 mph.

We make our choices.

Thanks

A modern F.I. Harley Sportster gets over 50 mpg. While 40 mpg out of a Guzzi is doing pretty good for a Guzzi, it is not good for its size. I do agree that riding style, air pressure in the tires, and state of tune/condition of the bike make a difference. But I doubt you're likely to get over 50 mpg out of a Guzzi. They are just to primative for that. But that primative nature is part of their charm.

mpg? I would like to state my fuel consumption but I am really unused to mpg value :(

all I can say, with Leo Vince SBK pipes and KN filter without any corrections I had 6 litres for 100km. Thats nearly 300km per tank! Not bad at all! But it was prety lean and was pinging nearly everytime. After adding PC commander and enriching the map I got about 7-9 litres per 100km which goes around 230-250km per tank. Mainly also thanks to fact, all my friends drives RSV or GSXRs, not easy to keep up with them but Guzzi there is nothing properly tuned Guzzi couldn't handle :PB)

On circuit I ran about 10-13 litres per 100km.

howgh

mpg? I would like to state my fuel consumption but I am really unused to mpg value :(

There is a Conversions link at the top of this forum! 6 liters/100 km equals 40 mpg US or 47 mpg imperial.

I actually get nearly 47 mpg US (56 mpg imp. or 5 liters/100 km) after carefully tuning my Sporti. And this does not make it less powerful - it gets all it wants. When cruising I never go below 4000 rpm because it's much less efficient there. I don't use my highest gear until above 120 km/h, even in steady speeds.

I actually get nearly 47 mpg US (56 mpg imp. or 5 liters/100 km) after carefully tuning my Sporti.
Raz, you're talking about setting the TPS, balancing & all?

And, yes, it's been discussed here that packing the temp sensor can help as this would likely tell the ECU that the engine is warmer, so the mixture would get leaner.

But the thing that's still annoying is that Harleys (pushrod) and Beems engines aren't probably any more modern that Guzzis, and their aerodynamics similar, and they still do better for gas mileage. Perhaps like somebody said, it's the design of the Guzzi head/combustion chamber?

Raz, you're talking about setting the TPS, balancing & all?

That too, but most importantly the whole map is tuned, from running MyECU in closed loop. Like a number of dyno runs on every possible throttle. I'm not sure what that would cost on a dyno center.

Actually my heads are so worn I wouldn't be surprised passing 50 mpg when they are overhauled.

Actually my heads are so worn I wouldn't be surprised passing 50 mpg when they are overhauled.

At 100,000 Km on the Sport, I worry about the condition of my heads also. How are you determining your heads are 'worn?'

Don't worry, adjust the valves, and ride.

#1 the head doesn't wear. Guides, seats, valve faces, cam lobes, etc. wear.

#2 unless your bike has a burnt valve or leaks compression you have no worries.

#3 I don't think M/G heads are going to give trouble except for the soft cam lobes on some bikes.

At 100,000 Km on the Sport, I worry about the condition of my heads also. How are you determining your heads are 'worn?'

I broke a header stud long and had to strip the head for spark eroding. I could measure too short springs (length at rest) and I could wiggle the valves in the guides enough for planning an overhaul.

Don't worry, adjust the valves, and ride.

#1 the head doesn't wear. Guides, seats, valve faces, cam lobes, etc. wear.

#2 unless your bike has a burnt valve or leaks compression you have no worries.

#3 I don't think M/G heads are going to give trouble except for the soft cam lobes on some bikes.

Of course the heads doesn't wear :P I used it as a collection term for valves, guides, springs and seats and thought it was obvious what I meant.

I agree I'm not in a hurry at all, this was two years ago and I've ridden 20,000 kms since. My plan is to leave them to a head shop for k-lining and new springs. Nothing more unless they see or measure that more is needed. This won't cost much.

I'm confident I could continue for tens of thousands of kms more without doing it but I also think this will be good value for little money. And those springs are fairly important when playing with the rev limiter B)

That too, but most importantly the whole map is tuned, from running MyECU in closed loop. Like a number of dyno runs on every possible throttle. I'm not sure what that would cost on a dyno center.
I remember Micha also mentioned this. When I make it to So Cal or Seattle on the bike I may go for it. It may be $$ but still like the idea.

One thing i have found these bikes like to travel above 4000 rpm on the open road. The city is not their friend.

Cheers

Bruce

p.s my mate on his fairly new KTM Superduke gets about the the same as me-16km/l and another mate on his Triumph st 1050 gets 17-18km/l

It may be as simple as removing the sensor (found on the inner rear of the R/H head) putting copper grease down the hole and puting the sensor back in, if you do a search as suggested you'll understand why.

Already done that but thanks for the idea!

John

Comparing HDs and Guzzis on mpg is like comparing apples and oranges.

The internal design follows a completely different philosophy.

HD= low revving, long stroke engine. Undersquare bore/stroke ratio.

Guzzi= high revving (for a pushrod twin), short stroke engine. Oversquare bore/stroke ratio.

Combustion chamber design is also quite different.

My V11 LeMans averages 38mpg. It gets in the low 40s at higher elevations.

Well, after reading all the posts and discussing gas mileage with several local guzzisti, it appears that the consensus would indicate that the V11's inefficient design correlates to 38 mpg, plus or minus, on average. I am giving up the chase for better mileage and i'm just going to ride and enjoy this great bike.

One thing i have found these bikes like to travel above 4000 rpm on the open road. The city is not their friend.

Despite mostly city driving, my Guzzi has run flawlessly for the 1+ year I have owned her. Agreed that you need to keep the rpm's up there. I try not to be below 3,500. Actually 3,500 is in the middle of the bouncing needle....hmm....is it really 2,000 or 5,000??????????????? :lol:

Bob