What was, do you think, the "controversial issue central in the minds of the voters?"

It has surprised me the number of forum members from other countries interested in discussing these US developments. I do agree this thread should be moved to "banter" and I think we're riding on thin tires. :o

For instance, in the closed thread a poster suggests the (US) Constitution "is just a fudge you guys need to face up to things can't be sorted at the end of a gun barrel." And that, allow me to paraphrase, American have " never heard of debate."

Historically, it is notable that we were subjects of the British crown for some 180 years. Only after King George refused to address the repeated entreaties and petitions for redress did the King and his General Gage decide they had better gather up the colonists' arms. It then got worse before it got better.

Frankly, I had avoided this thread and missed all the back-and-froth on gun ownership on the preceding pages. But, it's notable that the statement I referenced above was made AFTER both he and the moderator had stated that the discussion of guns should be avoided or the thread closed.

Isn't that a bit like waiting for your marriage counselor to say,"Well, time is up and haven't we had a very nice session today." To which you reply, "Yeah, and she's a bitch, too."

I also feel that an opportunity was missed by closing the Election thread.....

Yes, exactly. It seemed to become some sort of experiment. A very interesting experiment with rather interesting content, nice ideas and well overthought statements. Such experiments shouldn't be ended by just smashing the petri dishes. This was what made me complain.

The more as the realy boring part of this forum is not the one or other gun debate. Mostly it's the technical section where threads should be closed if not even erased right after the question was put (no smiley here).

BTW, a moderator has also the possibility to edit posts of intolerable or unwanted content. Maybe with "erased - see forum rule xy" or similar. How about that?

Hubert

Not all moderators have the option of editing posts. Erase, yes. But not edit.

Such things could be solved, I guess.

BTW, someone interested in a German gun debate? How about talking about speed limits and their social impacts?

Hubert

Yes, exactly. It seemed to become some sort of experiment. A very interesting experiment with rather interesting content, nice ideas and well overthought statements. Such experiments shouldn't be ended by just smashing the petri dishes. This was what made me complain.

The more as the realy boring part of this forum is not the one or other gun debate. Mostly it's the technical section where threads should be closed if not even erased right after the question was put (no smiley here).

BTW, a moderator has also the possibility to edit posts of intolerable or unwanted content. Maybe with "erased - see forum rule xy" or similar. How about that?

Hubert

Hubert, I see what you mean, and I agree with some of your points, especially about the intolerable or unwanted content. But If I really want to run a tight ship like World-of-Guzzi or V11Sport.de, I have to put in much more time than I want to, and I guess the same goes for the other mods.

I really like the "laissez faire" style on V11LeMans. And when people really get upset, they should first contact the offender off-board, and when the offender still behaves like an ignorant pig, a moderator can be contacted to offer a solution.

I only close/delete threads when it really is necessary. And the moderators can do the same without consulting me.

Now stop whining and start a new thread on the election! :D

I do love :wub: the Hooters thread, yet, also, I wonder about what is really going on in Europe and Australia (and Bavaria and Canada and New Zealand) . If you think you must know me because I am an American, or this, or that, I think you should come by and let me change your plugs, my wife make manicotti' and we will have single malt together. I think we are not so different after all!

This is what makes this site more interesting than others is the diversity of opinion from all over the world regardless of content. The majority of users do not like the gun threads so stay away from that subject it is too inflamitory. If we are civil towards each other there is no harm in well thought out debate. I thought that the election thread in most had well considered opinion, that was my reason for posting it in the first place I wanted to jugde people's thought's from around the globe. Shame some of the rambling abusive posts of the past had not been closed as quickly as this one.

Such things could be solved, I guess.

BTW, someone interested in a German gun debate? How about talking about speed limits and their social impacts?

Hubert

Here we seem to have speed limits to raise money. Most policemen give a good margin above, but they are always very busy writing these tickets. I have heard that there are limits in places on the Autobahn now; Or maybe there have been for a long time(?)

Automobile magazine referred to them as "revenue producers". The unfortunate way they function bothers me. If EVERYONE obeyed every highway rule, these uniformed people would be out of work. Then a new set of laws would be legislated to get the money flowing again..

Here we seem to have speed limits to raise money. Most policemen give a good margin above, but they are always very busy writing these tickets. I have heard that there are limits in places on the Autobahn now; Or maybe there have been for a long time(?)

I think half of the German Autobahn lenght has speedlimits, 100, 120 or 130 kmh. And the debate if not all germany should have limits starts each time new politicians have the power. Unil now the carcompanys have blocked it. And for germans it's a bit like the freedom to wear guns. Freedom to drive as fast as your BMW/merc/ etc can take you.

Here we seem to have speed limits to raise money. ....

They make money with it, yes, but I doubt it is much. Policemen and all the necessary equipement costs, too.

Actually we don't have too much Autobahn left unrestricted. The point is: "Free Drive For Free People" still is valid, nevertheless how many speed limits the people have to respect. It's just the feeling that there is some free space, some wilderness left for them. Until today this is really a holy thing: don't touch the Autobahnen! Unfortunately it seems that we can't keep things like that very much longer.

Early in the 30ies the Nazis sacked all speed limits, but could keep this for some years only. Too many deads and losses for economy and army. Right after the war the reinstallation of speed limits in 38 or so was the first Nazi law remembered by the new government and as such had to be cancelled at once! Just to show what great importance this topic always had here, and how irrational important things often are dealt by politicians.

Hubert

Hubert,

When I lived there (West Germany) back in the 70's the lack of speed limits was also a very hot topic. The government even tried imposing a 'voluntary' speed limit of 130km/hr. Of course no one seemed to obey it, unless your car couldn't go that fast. It was partly related to company cars. Seemed that instead of receiving more pay (which was heavily taxed) employees received other benefits, like company cars. The higher in the company the 'better' the car. Hence, it became part of the job to be able to drive faster. Not sure if the same is true now that East and West are joined.

I suppose you are beginning to suffer from the same 'class envy' we have here in the US. It is no longer 'correct' for rich people to be able to drive faster than poorer people. So, put in speed limits to make everyone equal. Of course the politicians who make those rules also make themselves exempt because they know they are more important than everyone else.

charlie