I'm verry sorry that Paul closed the election topic in such an offending way. For me the choosen argumentation shows a serious lack of political or even democratic selfconsciousness.

Topics should be closed because of content of bad taste or offending words or style. I don't bow to the privileges of a moderator. He closed the topic, so it's closed, but I don't like to respect this. There was no reason given for this action besides that Paul obviously didn't like the topic.

Hubert

Same here,didn't see anything that would require that the post should be closed.A little testy,but not over the top.Maybe PM warnings to those who he felt to be the offenders.

Yet this remains open,with multiple,blatant,guidelines broken,.. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14010,...

Personal attacks should not be tolerated,friendly discussions should be encouraged,... ;)

I disagree.

Paul gave a reason:

So election is over. And the topic isn't about it anymore, so I close it.

I read that to mean we can talk about the election.

So, how about that McCain and his dirty shmear campaign backfiring on him.

Do you think the selection of Palin as his running mate was a mistake?

I am so happy the color barrier got dented, but I am even happier to have a non-Republican in the White House! Yeeeehooooo!

Happy Days are here again!

(Maybe we can outlaw torture, reduce the outrageous percentage of blacks in prison, resist the temptation of war, separate church and state, balance the budget, have election reform, and have welfare for the needy(people), not the greedy (corporations))

Sharing the often mis-quoted words of Michelle Obama, for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country.

I'll bet she is even prouder now that Barack has won!

"What we have learned over this year is that hope is making a comeback. It is making a comeback. And let me tell you something--for the first time in my adult lifetime, I am really proud of my country. And not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change. And I have been desperate to see our country moving in that direction and just not feeling so alone in my frustration and disappointment. I've seen people who are hungry to be unified around some basic common issues, and it's made me proud."

• Like 1

And now our government is moving to take ownership of banks and, perhaps, some manufacturing. I suspect this is not the "change" many would find solvent and responsible in the long run. Sure, our local GM plant is laying off, but will they learn to build something of good quality that is right for the times? They, instead, closed a plant (building small, decent cars) for nearly two years to refit it building SUV-Crossovers that nobody wants. Now, We The People are going to bankroll their inept business?

If I were Italian, and it were Moto Guzzi, I would want the plant saved.

But I ain't, and it isn't, so I don't.

Did Tata (sp?) ever buy Rover and Jag? I thought that a profound irony for Britain's proud imperial heritage.

I would like the Benelli better if it weren't Chinese (although I haven't seen a Tornado or Tre-K in the Wal-Mart toy section yet . . .

1)So, how about that McCain and his dirty shmear campaign backfiring on him.

2)Do you think the selection of Palin as his running mate was a mistake?

3)I am so happy the color barrier got dented, but

4)I am even happier to have a non-Republican in the White House! Yeeeehooooo!

5)Happy Days are here again!

1)McCain lost because of his age and his associations with GWB, as well as because of BHO's superior campaining both grass-rootes and internet.

2)Palin was drawing bigger crowds than McCain and was a media sensation, so no I wouldn't call it a mistake.

3)Color Barrier dented in '08? What about Colin Powell, Condelezza Rice, Clarence Thomas, et al? And that's just in this administration.

4)That's what it's really about for you: A Democrat in the White House. It's cool, you don't have to make excuses.

5)I hope BHO makes you "feel good" about the world... And that he is successful in fending off the looming depression...

:bier:

I heard a rummor that Hummer was being sold to Mahindra of India any truth in this. All politicans are exposed for their lies it's a way of life for them.

There are all kinds of rumours flying around right now. At Chrysler, too.

Koreans may be interested in Dodge Trucks. Someone else is said to be interested in Jeep.

The US automakers next year may not look anything like they do today.

I just hope the government forces some kind of bankruptcy reorganization on the big three if it decides to hand out money. The way they've been doing business obviously doesn't work. They need to be reorganized, restructured, and probably slimmed down...

Same here,didn't see anything that would require that the post should be closed.A little testy,but not over the top.Maybe PM warnings to those who he felt to be the offenders.

Yet this remains open,with multiple,blatant,guidelines broken,.. http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14010,...

Personal attacks should not be tolerated,friendly discussions should be encouraged,... ;)

Yes it remains open. Jaap has issued a public reminder. No one has posted further on it.

In my opinion the only post now that realistically warrants posting on it is a Stelvio ownership report by TX, but he may feel a new thread is more appropriate.

Yes it does contain homophobic and racist content. Should they be deleted or left in the open where they can be seen for what they are.

Short bullet posts can often me interpreted to mean far more than the poster intended. But if we expand so that there can be no doubt to exactly what we intended. We end up with long verbose boring unread posts. Like the one I'm desperately trying to avoid here.

The way I see it the forum is principally a technical resource, but it needs the social side to encourage the traffic that gets the technical queries answered quickly. Here already we complaints that a thread has been closed and another hasn't. This throws up the debate for firstly the need for moderation and then at what level it's pitched. Then we add in the "Us and Them" factors cultural differences personal experiences etc...It's difficult moderating, in any single forum you have the Moderator and the two Admins (Paul & Jaap) who can take action. You can influence our decisions. I will take note especially if I get a third party complaint, I could well have missed a nuance or even thought it within acceptable boundaries. We're just a PM away and a couple of time zones.

You are right friendly discussion should be encouraged, especially as mentioned elsewhere you can get to see yourself through another's eyes, and gain a greater understanding.

I'm very interested in hearing about the politics in other countries. Its good to know which way the winds are blowing. This board is comprised of probably 99.5% adult males so I think we can have a certain amount of foul language & silly pictures without offending anyone too badly. Of course there IS a line of common decency & politenes that we should treat each other with, hence the moderators. I think the general rule of thumb be that you shouldnt say something in here that you wouldnt say to someone in public.

I often read this board with my 2.5 yr old daughter in my lap. She can't quite read yet, but I am still wary of which threads I open. There's a certain thread (something to do with owls?) that I just avoid in her presence.... :rolleyes: 99% of the stuff posted here is just fine and fun to read.

But really, whether you agree with Paul's decision or not- it's his decision. While I appreciate the variety of viewpoints here, my understanding is that Paul and Jaap own/run the board, so as far as I'm concerned, they can shut anything down that they want. They don't like oatmeal cookies? Don't post on oatmeal cookies. End of story. I can live with that. Whether I like it or not is irrelevant.

"24/7 V11" is for bike related stuff?

This topic (& any unrelated to bikes) should be in "Special Place for Banter & Silly Remarks", which Jaap created to avoid some of the issues raised here. If we stuck to posting stuff under the right headings we can more easily avoid stuff likely to bother us.

KB :sun:

I also feel that an opportunity was missed by closing the Election thread. For the first time we were dealing with a contentious area in a fair and respectful manner that really did credit to all the contributors and this forum. Contentious issues are only properly dealt with when everyone can see the all the factors clearly and I thought we were making a good start. The contoversial issue was absolutely central in the minds of many of the voters and therefore well within the scope of the thread. I do feel the topic was closed because a number of people and JRT did not like dealing with the issue (that is his right).

The 'TX Redneck back on a Guzzi' did end up making me smile. TX talks of balance at the end of his posts and to this end I had the temerity to say that I did not hope he returned to the forum and that I did not miss his posts. Sadly this was the one thing that the 'witty' (Pete's word) erudite, popular though obviously shy and retiring TX could not stand and therebye we are ALL deprived of the wonderful experiences of TX on a Stelvio. I think I may be still laughing at Christmas.

If I can stop laughing I of will of course return to eating the TX recommended and Jaap sanctioned (sic) bowl of (cover JRT's daughters eyes) @#$$#!. :D

I see you rate the topic as meaningfull and respectfull. I didn't weigh each post, but reading accoss it I did see the old gun debate, and the rest looked to me like nothing new to the theme. And closing it, was to close it before it got out the lines. Not because of one special post.

• Like 1