Motorcycle boots

Tom M

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Sidi Vertigo :thumbsup: , lots of protection and really comfortable on or off the bike. The only thing they are not is waterproof so i will be looking at the

Goretex version soon.

I find that the adjusting system they have means they fit over my calves, unlike just the standard zip and velcro found on most other boots.

I'm a huge fan of Chippewa boots. ...

However, finally, I think I have found the perfect boot. It's just enough "old school" biker boot to look good, and just enough "hi-tech" to work well on a sport bike.

It's the Chippewa rally boot. It has a Vibram sole, really thick leather, some padding and a smooth glove leather lining to keep it comfy. I blacked out the trim around the sole with dye.

chippewa.jpg

I'd really like to have a set of Chippewas, but I refuse to spend that kind of money on a pair of boots made for someone insecure about their stature... ;)

Seriously, has Chippewa ever considered that there are those of us out there who don't want an extra 1&1/2" lift in the heel? I know women who have shorter heels on their boots! Un-frickin'-believable that they still haven't worked out the fact that they could be selling enough boots to put Redwing out of biz if they'd just lose the lifts... I shouldn't be forced to take a brand new pair of $100+ footwear to the shoe repairman to have the heels corrected, but that's just my own opinion. Glad you like'em, I just wish someone at Chippewa would get a clue! <_>

I use "jump" style boots [lace up fronts, w/ a zipper side] because I've got funky feet [wide, high arch, somewhat narrow heel] that NO rear-entry boot can seem to accommodate, & few buckle-up models seem to fit well.

I've always wanted to treat myself to a pair of custom Bates [yes, Bates makes boots too,] ever since reading about them in a moto-rag article years ago. [sigh]

Oh yeah, I also have a pair of East German surplus Officer's boots that fit o.k. except those underfed european fellers musta had skinny calves, 'cause their boots hardly fit over mine & rub all the hair off my legs at the top of the shank. [grumble] Not too bad for $20 tho'; anyone w/ a U.S. size 11 & skinny calves want to buy'em off me? :lol:

I'd really like to have a set of Chippewas, but I refuse to spend that kind of money on a pair of boots made for someone insecure about their stature... ;)

Seriously, has Chippewa ever considered that there are those of us out there who don't want an extra 1&1/2" lift in the heel? I know women who have shorter heels on their boots! Un-frickin'-believable that they still haven't worked out the fact that they could be selling enough boots to put Redwing out of biz if they'd just lose the lifts... I shouldn't be forced to take a brand new pair of $100+ footwear to the shoe repairman to have the heels corrected, but that's just my own opinion. Glad you like'em, I just wish someone at Chippewa would get a clue! <_>

I never noticed that. I have Chippewa rally boots, engineer boots, brando boots and paramedic boots. The heel seems pretty normal to me and I do like to hang my heel on my footpegs.

I guess I can see what you mean on their logger/linesmen/workboots. The heel is kind of high. I don't know why they do that on those boots. Perhaps when drunk the high heel keeps you from falling backwards on your ass and they want to give you a chance to fall forward and break your fall with your hands.

It's a quality boot though. In my opinion, they last 3 times longer than other common brands

These days I exclusively use Altbergs. I bought my first pair several years ago:

clclass-s.jpg

I've still got them, but don't wear them much any more as they're too warm for summer use. But after several years use they are as comfortable as an old pair of slippers, tough as old boots and still completely waterproof. They provide more than enough protection (CE approved) without resorting to nasty plastic, and as they have a proper sole unit they cope very well with walking duties too, as well as providing reassuring grip on poor surfaces - unlike Daytonas.

Now I mostly wear these:

clroad-s.jpg

Similar, but lighter and a better all year round boot for the UK. All the excellent qualities of the Clubman Classic, with the added bonus that work give them to me for free. Comfortable enough to wear for twenty hours plus, including plenty of leg work and standing around. Completely waterproof, nicely made. So good I have two pairs, one pair for day to day and one pair bulled to perfection for those special occasions.

Altbergs- comfortable enough to wear all day and walk in, waterproof with reasonable protection. They can be resoled too.

I have two pairs- a thick heavy winter pair, and some lighter ones for hot summer use abroad(don't need them in Britain obviously!).

Even French blue dragonflies love 'em so they must be good.

Atour08143.jpg

Sidi OnRoad Sympatex for me.

Agreed-

Very comfortable boots, and they keep your feet dry... I've been in frog chokers twice for 100+ miles and almost 200 miles... rain was so bad that it soaked through my Roadcrafter and my body was wet, but my feet stayed remarkably dry (and warm) in the boots.

The one I've had so far and have worn for the last few years:

Sidi Champion: look good, fairly comfy, Lorica (=synthetic leather) sucks, wouldn't recommend

Oxtar Matrix Gore-Tex: leather, well made, fairly good protection, easy on/off, breathing even in heat, okay waterproofing; don't like the way they're shaped, too pointy & narrow in the toe area; there's a new version probably called whatever Oxtar's name is now.

Aero Combat Lites: I got these not long ago. IMO they're the best looking if you want boots that you can wear in almost any situation; extremely well made of thick leather; said to last forever; components can be replaced, including sole; supposedly not waterproof, though people say they've worn them in the rain after they were treated; a real pain in the a$$ to break-in--that's what I've been doing lately, so you gotta be patient. Also: sizes tend to run 1 to 1 1/2 larger. I usually wear 11 in all my footwear, but settled for 9.5 for the Comb Lites! You may check ebay or advrider for almost new ones that the original owners found to be too large.

I wear the Sidi Canyons both on & off road. They're very substantial and completely waterproof. I also have an older pair of Sidi road boots that look like the ones Tom pictured, can't recall model name though. They're very comfortable when off the bike but not as tall as the Canyon.

Sidi's are of very good quality and will offer much better ankle protection than work boots. Usually the soles are not as bulky as work boots so it is easier to move around the shifter too.

canyon_goretex_472_general.jpg