So, next week, the 18th of March, we call "Saint Patrick's Day" here in the States. Lots of us have Irish roots. Probably after being 'transported' here by the Crown for various and dubious acts.

I'm thinking me Great-Grandmother Nolan is me Irish tie. Which and whatever, the Guiness will not be be left by on the designated day.

Trouble is: what is this "Erin Go Bragh" business? Ireland duz sumpin' I'm guessin', but what??

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not 100% sure but I think Ireland does nothing with respect to USA unless they need something. However I am one who loves to be proven wrong. Perhaps Belfast will straighten out this dilemma!

Well now, if you check a previous thread on the Ulster Scotch connections with America, you may find that Ulster alone gave America something like 17 Presidents! :oldgit:

And Davy Crockett. :xmas:

So I'm sure you're eternally grateful and will consider yourself proven wrong.

>>The Scotch Irish were the servants and soldiers of the Revolution. President McKinley wrote of them that "they were the first to proclaim for freedom in these United States." President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "the men who before any other declared for American independence:''

"I think Ireland does nothing with respect to USA" – Pah! :doh:

And have you forgotten so quickly the Old Bushmills Distillery!?

:rolleyes:

PS Paddy's Day is on 17th :oldgit:

Well now, if you check a previous thread on the Ulster Scotch connections with America, you may find that Ulster alone gave America something like 17 Presidents! :oldgit: And Davy Crockett. So I'm sure you're eternally grateful and will consider yourself proven wrong.

PS Paddy's Day is on 17th :oldgit:

Er, don't believe everything you read on the internet, but, here:

"From the Scotch Irish (or Ulster Scots as they are called in the British Isles) have been drawn more than a quarter of all the Presidents of the United States including the only three first generation Americans to achieve this office as well as State Governors, generals, writers, administrators, churchmen and teachers. Several signatories of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were Scotch Irishmen from Ulster.

Ulstermen moved to the New World in such numbers that they became the most important element in the colonial population of America after the English. By the time the United States became independent one American in five was of Scotch Irish, i.e., Ulster stock.

Ideally suited for the new life by reason of their experience as pioneers in Ulster, their qualities of character and their Ulster Scottish background, they made a unique contribution to the land of their adoption. They became the frontiersmen of colonial America, clearing the forests to make their farms and, as one would expect, they had the defects as well as the qualities of pioneers. President Theodore Roosevelt described them us "a grim, stern people, strong and powerful for good and evil, swayed by gusts of stormy passion, the love of freedom rooted in their very hearts' core..." They suffered terrible injuries at the hands of the red men, and on their foes they waged terrible warfare in return. They were also upright, resolute, fearless, and loyal to their friends, devoted to their country. In spite of their many failings, they were of all men the best fitted to conquer the wilderness and hold it against all comers."

They took with them into the wilderness their love of religion and learning, building churches and schools as they established each new settlement or fort. The primitive centres of further learning such as the Log College of Neshaminy in Pennsylvania which they early established achieved a notable reputation as "mothers" of new colleges, their graduates taking the lead in founding new institutions and providing the first presidents who gave them their character. Indeed it was in the field of education that the Scotch Irish made one of their most important contributions to American life.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE WHITE HOUSE

Estimates of the number of Presidents of the United States of Scotch Irish origins vary, depending on the degree of relationship on which the claim is based. For the purposes of their search for ancestral homesteads the Ulster Scot Historical Foundation accepted only those of direct Scotch Irish descent. Even limited in this way the number amounts to eleven; a notable proportion when related to the very small group from which they sprang. They are Andrew Jackson, James Knox Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Chester Alan Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson.

This list becomes all the more impressive when it is realized that three of the ten, Presidents Jackson, Buchanan and Arthur, were first generation Americans, i.e., Presidents whose fathers were born in Ulster. The United States Constitution lays it down that the President must be American born. In the long history of the United States these are the only three first generation Americans to achieve this high office. Andrew Jackson has left it on record that he only just made it since he was born soon after the ship in which his parents sailed from Ulster reached harbour in America. Three other Presidents, John Adams, James Monroe, and John Quincy Adams are reputed to have family links with Ulster. A further two presidents Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower claimed to have "Scotch Irish" blood in their veins.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE REVOLUTION

The Scotch Irish were the servants and soldiers of the Revolution. President McKinley wrote of them that "they were the first to proclaim for freedom in these United States." President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "the men who before any other declared for American independence:''

Er, don't believe everything you read on the internet, but, here:

"From the Scotch Irish (or Ulster Scots as they are called in the British Isles) have been drawn more than a quarter of all the Presidents of the United States including the only three first generation Americans to achieve this office as well as State Governors, generals, writers, administrators, churchmen and teachers. Several signatories of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States were Scotch Irishmen from Ulster.

Ulstermen moved to the New World in such numbers that they became the most important element in the colonial population of America after the English. By the time the United States became independent one American in five was of Scotch Irish, i.e., Ulster stock.

Ideally suited for the new life by reason of their experience as pioneers in Ulster, their qualities of character and their Ulster Scottish background, they made a unique contribution to the land of their adoption. They became the frontiersmen of colonial America, clearing the forests to make their farms and, as one would expect, they had the defects as well as the qualities of pioneers. President Theodore Roosevelt described them us "a grim, stern people, strong and powerful for good and evil, swayed by gusts of stormy passion, the love of freedom rooted in their very hearts' core..." They suffered terrible injuries at the hands of the red men, and on their foes they waged terrible warfare in return. They were also upright, resolute, fearless, and loyal to their friends, devoted to their country. In spite of their many failings, they were of all men the best fitted to conquer the wilderness and hold it against all comers."

They took with them into the wilderness their love of religion and learning, building churches and schools as they established each new settlement or fort. The primitive centres of further learning such as the Log College of Neshaminy in Pennsylvania which they early established achieved a notable reputation as "mothers" of new colleges, their graduates taking the lead in founding new institutions and providing the first presidents who gave them their character. Indeed it was in the field of education that the Scotch Irish made one of their most important contributions to American life.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE WHITE HOUSE

Estimates of the number of Presidents of the United States of Scotch Irish origins vary, depending on the degree of relationship on which the claim is based. For the purposes of their search for ancestral homesteads the Ulster Scot Historical Foundation accepted only those of direct Scotch Irish descent. Even limited in this way the number amounts to eleven; a notable proportion when related to the very small group from which they sprang. They are Andrew Jackson, James Knox Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, Ulysses Simpson Grant, Chester Alan Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson.

This list becomes all the more impressive when it is realized that three of the ten, Presidents Jackson, Buchanan and Arthur, were first generation Americans, i.e., Presidents whose fathers were born in Ulster. The United States Constitution lays it down that the President must be American born. In the long history of the United States these are the only three first generation Americans to achieve this high office. Andrew Jackson has left it on record that he only just made it since he was born soon after the ship in which his parents sailed from Ulster reached harbour in America. Three other Presidents, John Adams, James Monroe, and John Quincy Adams are reputed to have family links with Ulster. A further two presidents Harry S. Truman and Dwight D. Eisenhower claimed to have "Scotch Irish" blood in their veins.

THE SCOTCH IRISH AND THE REVOLUTION

The Scotch Irish were the servants and soldiers of the Revolution. President McKinley wrote of them that "they were the first to proclaim for freedom in these United States." President Theodore Roosevelt described them as "the men who before any other declared for American independence:''

Sniff . . . it makes me justly proud. I think I'll have a pint.

As if my folks weren't stern and dour enough they married in with Germans. My dad, a military bomb disposal expert, didn't joke around much, but if he did, it was wise to laugh. He apparently disliked motorbikes, reportedly having dumped a Harley rather indelicately pulling up to the Officer's Club.

Yes: the 17th! (The 18th was my late mother's birthday). :blush:

Erin Go Bragh : Ireland Forever

And why isn't there (or is there?) St. Andrew's Day for the Scots?

"St. Andy's Day" . . . has a nice ring . I'll have another pint. :drink:

And with some proper Scottish slogan, like: "Touch Not the Cat, Lest I Do Something Ugly to Yer Bike's Wiring Harness." (or however that comes out in Gaidhlig).

And why isn't there (or is there?) St. Andrew's Day for the Scots?

"St. Andy's Day" . . . has a nice ring . I'll have another pint. :drink:

And with some proper Scottish slogan, like: "Touch Not the Cat, Lest I Do Something Ugly to Yer Bike's Wiring Harness." (or however that comes out in Gaidhlig).

They've got Burns Night, wot they do make much ado about.

"Touch Not ma Haggis, Lest I Do Something Ugly to Yer Bake, Chum... Wi' a Hammer." (rough translation from the Gaidhlig).

St Andy? This is for Søren:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONO0bkpiXhM

If anyone in England dares celebrate St Geroge's Day they are obviously a racist!

I take it you are disappointed not yet to have been included on the list of appointments to the Order of the Garter? :P

I am dual-citizen of the US, born in Germany of a German mother, but my father came from a long line of impoverished Kentucky dirt farmers. Their County Tyrone forebears were apparently so poor they came to America (Baltimore) in 1662, i.e., they couldn't wait 190 or so years for the Potato Famine!

The St. Patricks Day drunkfests here are a bit much, but maybe they get a few people to think about how darn hard the Irish had it here for centuries.

Oh, well, it's going to rain tomorrow; think I'll go put in a few extra miles on something neither German nor Irish, but Italian. :race:

Docc, maybe we can talk about all of this on that "Raid recon" at the end of the month. Cam Lay is of English stock, so I'm thinking about asking for reparations ... in the form of bourbon. :bier:

Bill [O']Hagan