Paranoid?

V11UK

I'm going to stop reading this forum :huh2:

I thought my pride and joy, a 1999 V11 first series, 30,000 miles on the clock, had been doing pretty well, with only a few minor problems to date. Now I'm paranoid because of reading about all these problems. In the future, only post good news - thank you.

Good news is no news... But I know what you mean. If you see a damaged clutch like on the pictures I posted yesterday... However the forum is of course a very good source on parts and other helpful info. And I use it like watching TV. Don't read/watch the things I don't like!

So if you have good news, like 30.000 almost problem free miles, write about it.

Guest Jeff Kelland

I have 9500 relatively trouble free miles on mine! I do try to keep this positive. As a long time dealership mechanic on Ford's (maybe I shouldn't of said that!) and other products, we see repeated failures and start thinking the product is real trouble. That's usually wrong though, as what we percieve as a huge amount of failures might only in reality effect a very small percentage of the product. I cringed when I saw the clutch failure, but I wonder if there is more to the story that we are not hearing. A failure of that magnatude, while certainly possible from a manufacturing defect, is probably extremely rare given the amount of abuse some of you, ummmmmm, I mean we, pile on these machines. Come on now, I read about the wheelies, and the oil light coming on under hard acceleration, I know, I know, we all treat these babies with utmost respect :grin:

If you read all the forums on bikes and cars you would not buy the product!  Remember, only the bad things show up here! :vomit:

Exactly John :thumbsup:

Go to any forum on any product, and you'll find the predominance of posts are in regard to observed issues, versus accolades. I suspect if a product were 100% perfect, the associated forum would be fairly vacant and quiet ^_^

...do a search and you'll find that we've had this discussion more than a couple times :D

People tend to post about the unusual things that get them stirred up, and often that is not.... "hey, I went out today and my bike started right up, and I had a great trouble free ride all afternoon!" :lol:

But then again, while sometimes disconcerting, I'm much happier to be forewarned and forearmed :)

The list is actually pretty short though, these bikes really aren't that bad.

As someone here mentioned recently, just go check the Honda Goldwing, 1800, or even VFR list. Even the much vaunted "perfect appliance" Honda products are having their share of issues :wacko:

I don't know what I'd do if this forum didn't exist. I'd still be scratching my head over any number of issues.

So keep the bad news coming! :lol:

:mg:

al

I have not heard anyone whine about parts taking forever in a long long time. :D

Knock on wood...

Speaking of which, I have had handlebar mounts on order from a non-Guzzi dealer for over a month. whiiiiine. :angry:

I got a reply from my dealer today on my swingarm I ordered three weeks ago. I had asked him if it was going to take four months to get it . To this he says, "who knows?"

I guess I' m assuming it'll take 3 months since they are apparently not stocked in the states. Very frustrating not knowing. It could be the dead of winter before I get the thing.

Well, you asked for it. I'll try the knock on wood thing to see if that helps. <_>

ouch!

I think it is too late to knock on wood.

Good luck getting it soon.

For future reference, many people swear by Agostini, and the Teo Lamers network to get things faster. Although on a part like this, it is Guzzi of Italy that will probably hold things up, or not. You would think MGNA would stock atleast 1 of every single part and be able to ship it out within 24 hours.

This topic was posted with tongue firmly in cheek. We'd be lost without forums like this. As a Buell owner of 6 six years, I fully appreciate the usefulness of knowing the potential weak points of a product - even if our own example has proven very reliable. Keep posting guys :)

@ Chris (V11UK) Use more smilies dammit :D

It would be a shame to loose an European member. We have to maintain a bit of a balance in this forum, or else we'll only see and hear about raised handlebars, lowered footpegs, hardcases, gel padded seats, etc. ;)

or else we'll only see and hear about raised handlebars, lowered footpegs, hardcases, gel padded seats, etc. ;)

Nothing of that will ever touch my bike :grin:

Garage season has begun, plans are layed,

pictures will be posted when I have something to show :luigi:

but don't hold you breath :luigi::drink::luigi::drink::luigi::whistle:

Guest captain nemo

I love this forum. It is a great help to me with answers the same day. :)

For those interested in the philosophical side of 'man and machine,' I have started my own site dedicated to the 'positive side' of Guzziness. Please feel free to drop something into it. :bier:

I have noticed here and on 'Wild Guzzi' that everyone gets mighty exorcised with MGNA. I don't blame you; those stories are not justifiable. However, I am going to try to not let a bunch of bozos and bean counters alter my primary experience with my Italian motorcycle. I just have to think that the wonderful engineers, designers and factory workers take pride in the Marque. :bike:

Guest PAULSMART

I find a lot of positive stuff - for example I learnt about Bosch relays, and was able to get these at a fraction of the price knowing the part number. Otherwise it would have been warranty claims and parts ordered from the bike dealer which equals wasted time and money.

So, I want to read it all good and bad!

Paul

It would be a shame to loose an European member. We have to maintain a bit of a balance in this forum, or else we'll only see and hear about raised handlebars, lowered footpegs, hardcases, gel padded seats, etc.

Jeez Jaap, you forgot the highway pegs and chrome, chrome, chrome! We'd still have lots to talk about! ;)

Lex