clean or polish exhausts pipes

Admin Jaap

OK guys,

my exhausts pipes don't have that nice goldish color anymore but are clearly suffering from asphyxia... i.e turning blue. I want to clean or polish the stainless steel. What's the best DIY method? :luigi: And what has the best result?

Experiences and opinions please!

CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN!!!

I use blue magic metal cleaner.

But, why they are blue in the first place?

Most likely your bike is running lean, causing much heat and turning the pipes blue.

Overly rich mixtures will also heat them blue.

Are you running a PC?

Can you people with Power Commanders and custom (yes custom, not the downloaded maps) tell us if your pipes are blue?

My modded motor has that lovely honey color and no blue no matter how hard I hammer it. I think this is do to the perfect A/F ratio I'm running.

Al? others?

Or am I the only one who actually cleans my bike? :huh2:

Well mine turned blue during the pre-PCIII and fried ECU last Spring.... and I think it was because it ran too lean and waaaay too hot for a few minutes. Since then, I don't think they've gotten any more blue.

Actually, my bike is a pig right now... honestly :rolleyes: I've got it up on the shop stand, no front wheel, various body panels removed... and the heads need retorqued after my head-work... so there's a little oil weeping at the base gaskets... just a mess :P But I'll have it buttoned up in a few weeks hopefully.

But years ago, I had SS pipes on my FJ1200, and I'd just clean them with a Scotch Brite pad. The cleaned up really well, nice and silver/golden :thumbsup:

They're exhaust, so I don't expect them to look perfect after all. That being said, hypocritically, I should be getting my silver Jet-Hot'd exhaust and crossover back any day now :sun:

al

600 grit wet-dry sand paper gives the surface a really uniform shine. follow this with "semi-Chrome" polish or "mother's" for the polished almost chromed look.

Immediately they will begin to color again based on your tuning and riding style. I agree with John on the 'honey' color. That uniform bronze is a sign all is well. Any bluing makes me think the exhaust valve may be turning blue as well. :!: Worse yet when one is more blue than the other.