No more Metzeler Sportec

belfastguzzi

I liked this tyre. It just doesn't last long enough, going too thin between 3,000 - 4,000 miles.

3782167777_b487580a22.jpg

3782976882_7120ab6c8a.jpg

Metzeler M3 Sportec rear is well and truly done at 4,000 miles. (Though, as always, it's the middle of the tyre that is gone, while there is plenty of rubber elsewhere.) Final 'nail in the coffin' is a big hole as shown, but inspection of the tyre in soft state shows that there are tears all around the middle circumference, which feels very thin. The steel cord can be seen when these tears are teased: see blue cable tie pic.

3782168395_fe49f84b22.jpg

3782168993_5501dd3e27.jpg3782979814_777d716b89.jpg

Only a sliver of rubber is left over steel cord belts. These can be exposed under the nicks and tears in the tyre.

What goes on as replacement will depend upon what is in stock. Something sport-touring of course. Z6 was good on Scura. Diablo Strada, Dunlop Roadsmart...

3782170139_729e9c4842.jpg

I had the previous gen Z6 on my Griso. Worked very well and got good mileage out of it but it was a very noisy tire. Have not tried the new Z6. Currently I have Conti Sports on. Decent tire but nothing special (except the price, great deal).

That 2nd photo (w red can) - could be just the pic angle but profile looks odd - triangulated like a front might wear, but one side only - usually rears just flatten out across middle. If it really is that shape, handling must have gone pretty weird? Check http://www.motoguzziclub.co.uk/forum for tyre chat - they're always discussing tyres Sports/Touring tyres for the new bikes - tho tend to favour those with UK names! Like Guzzi Moto, I found Continentals decent tyres & great price. KB

PS Why do tyres pick up more punctures when worn ?

KB :sun:

Baldini, it must be the photo perspective. It was wearing flat across the middle.

I guess that worn tyres puncture more easily just because there is less rubber and so less resistance. The (deflated) tyre felt really thin and weak across the middle, while the rest still feels robust.

I suppose I can't really complain, in a relative way, about getting 4,000m from the M3. Just in a detached, old-fashioned way.

I do like the Z6 (fitted on my Scura) and the supplier this morning had the Interact, as well as an original Z6 in stock. He also had the Roadsmart and others.

I went for a Pirelli Angel, as he said that it is the replacement for the Diablo Strada. I haven't heard of it.

I'll just look it up now......

Telegraph.co.uk test:

That's why there's fierce competition to attract riders' attention – and the Angel ST is certainly going to do that. It's a novel detail that makes it memorable: the tread pattern forms a stylised angel, but as the tyre wears, after 600 or 700 miles, it changes to a devil. This is, of course, completely irrelevant to its performance, but I love it for its cleverness and originality. It's a sports-tourer tyre with two distinct personalities.

I tried the Angel ST on a variety of bikes, including BMW K 1300 GT, Moto Guzzi Sport and Honda CBF600S, and on every one the improvement in straight-line stability at speed was noticeable. At the same time, agility – usually sacrificed at stability's altar – is enhanced and the ride quality is outstanding. The tyres also warmed up very quickly to offer good feel and grip almost from the outset – I was very impressed.

Pirelli says tyre life matches the old Diablo Strada, which the Angel ST replaces. This will vary enormously from bike to bike and rider to rider, but 5,000-9,000 miles should be typical for a rear. The gains are in grip and, especially, wet-weather performance, where Pirelli claims to be class leader.

And even if you buy them for the novelty tread, you'll still be getting the best sports-touring rubber available. And the marketing's right up there, too...

– That looks ok

I know you're in the Emerald Isle but is the inside of your CARC _meant_ to be that rusty?

Yes it is.**

I posted that pic cos I knew someone would post about the rust.

I expected that it would be the Spanish Inquisition though.

** This may be the only feature of my Griso that is functioning as it is meant to.

Stradas don't make more than 5000 on my bike / my style. 5000 km! 10.000 miles is some word, really! The guys here actually are quite enthusiastic about Pilot Sport 2CT front and Pilot Road 2CT rear. This combo promises about 10.000 km, still far away from 10.000 miles.

Hubert

Pirelli press release - www.motorcycle-usa.com

Pirelli Angel ST Sets World Duration Record

Pirelli and international journalists recorded a new 24-hour World Duration Record at the Nardò Technical Center aboard a 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa, covering a distance of 5135.071 km (3190.8 mi) at an average speed of 213.96 km/h (132.9 mph) using only one set of Pirelli’s new Angel ST sport-touring tyre, a road tour simulation equal to 12,000 km (7,500 mi) at normal speeds of 80-100 km/h (50-65 mph).

Like Guzzi Moto, I found Continentals decent tyres & great price. KB

KB :sun:

I just wore out a set of Conti Road Attacks. I liked them better than the Z6's I had on there before, but I only got barely 5000 miles out of the Conti's while the Metz's were good for 8k. Next up: Roadsmarts.

Let us know how the Pirellis work out for you BFG. The quest for the perfect tire continues..

PS Is that an ABS sensor on your carc?

I just wore out a set of Conti Road Attacks. I liked them better than the Z6's I had on there before, but I only got barely 5000 miles out of the Conti's while the Metz's were good for 8k. Next up: Roadsmarts.

Let us know how the Pirellis work out for you BFG. The quest for the perfect tire continues..

PS Is that an ABS sensor on your carc?

It's only the speed sensor (as far as I know), Tom.

The tyre man wasn't very happy about Dunlop, not because they aren't good tyres, but because they are expensive and Dunlop put their prices up by 20% overnight, without any warning.