whats the best?

DeBenGuzzi

I was thinking your specification fit the latest generation Triumph Tiger "Roadie".

But, no, hey, that Valkyrie . . . nice ride! But who's the :oldgit: then?

(Kidding, DBG! Just be sure to fit a big windscreen since you'll be sitting back on your bum.)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Find a clean, low-mileage GL1500. I'd say even go for a GL1200 in good shape, but they're all at least 20 years old now, and parts are getting problematic [from my cruising eBay looking for parts for my own beater...]

Anyway, the GL1500 was the 3rd generation 'wing, and Honda pretty much had the "barcalounger on wheels" aspect down by that point. There is no better 2-wheel mile-muncher out there for slabbing it a couple of states over. Not so much fun in the twisties: both the earlier generations & the latest 1800 are better than the 1500 for that (to varying degrees.) But a good rider on a 'wing still has nothing to fear from 99% of the Harleys on the road, and the passenger accomodations are hard to beat! ;)

I'm REALLY liking the 1150RT's as they are much cheaper and many say more reliable than the 1200's I saw a bunch with about 20k on them for about 8-9k that aint shabby

Try a R1150R? They are understated, but handling wise they are great. I know. I own one. Here's the pic off the net with a touring screen and standard bags.

page1-1006-full.jpg

Very good support at http://r1150r.org/board/viewforum.php?f=2

The other option I would recommend is a low mileage R1100RT, only discernable difference from a r1150RT is a lack of a 6th gear that you do not really need and I reckon that for its age the price will be low. 3 adjustable seat heights, servo-adjustable screen and parts available from just about any BMW dealer, plus aftermarket dealers like Wunderlich.

Good luck in your search.

Cheers

you sir have a winner, I think that fits all the bills closer to anything else I've found plus goes along with my personal tastes of more nekkid and mechanical watch like yet offers decent protection and great riding position

I'm going to try and find this one when I have the dough ready UNLESS I change my mind again and get something really stupid

95812734_1thumb_550x410.jpg

I'm looking at the same choice, probably going to invest next year.

I was planning on the norge. I don't like ujms, bmws are ugly, and i couldn't abide an electra glide.

And it looks good in red!

Norge would be my choice. Most comfortable Guzzi ever, smoother engine than V11, anti-lock breaks, and handles much nicer than any full boat tourer.

Even parts and service should not be too bad if you don't crash it.

Close match to BMW in about every characteristic, but the BMWs are BORING at legal speeds, and boredom is a major factor when pounding the super slabs.

On the other hand the BMW might be a little better fit for your size, the BMW may edge the Norge out in every category but fun, and the plethora of after-market parts for Beeemers is appealing.

Thank you dlaing, I was beginning to wonder if this was guzzi site or not!

Is there something I'm missing, I mean, I'm sure the bm is a better bike, but who wants to be ewan magregor anyway. He hasn't been in a decent movie since Trainspotting, for gods'sake.

Although I wouldn't mind his salary. Not bad for a Scottish dwarf.

Is there something I'm missing, I mean, I'm sure the bm is a better bike, but who wants to be ewan magregor anyway. He hasn't been in a decent movie since Trainspotting, for gods'sake.

Although I wouldn't mind his salary. Not bad for a Scottish dwarf.

Ewan and his riding buddy regretted selecting the Beemer over the KTM.

The KTM Adventure is a great fit for someone Ben's size, no dwarf.

But if we are talking adventure bikes for touring, the Quota is a very comfortable bike for a big rider, and you could pick one up for under $5000

Protection could be better. Maybe if you fitted some V1000SP fairing lowers to the Quota.

Still for the super-slab, I'll take a Norge. With all the scooter/Guzzi shops out there, parts for the Norge should be more readily available.

Well, the threadstarter did say he wants good dealer support so I did not think about a Guzzi :) Seriously, I am sharing my knowledge about BMWs as part of the advice he sought.

For the R1150R, one will have to check the following:

(1) service records if possible,

(2) 3 major components - Hall sensor, clutch and starter; have they been replaced? The Hall sensor is a hit and miss thing; the clutch is a 50K to 100K wear-&-tear item and the starter is about 50K km change item.

(3) check the final drive for sideways play, this is a clue to worn final drive bearings.

(4) check the area between the transmission and engine, and the oil sight glass for signs of leak.

PM me if you need more advice.

The BMW and the Guzzi are similar in many ways, but the V11 is so much more, well, "raw" when ridden. That can be a bad or a good thing.

Cheers

well yea its a good thing for driving in the metro area but anything outside of toolin around town it is even less comfortable than the aprilia with zero wind protection vibey ride and engine braking stronger than the rear brembo it gets tiring on a longer ride I've done a 2 hour ride on the guzzi and a 4 hour ride was easier on my aprilia and its a supersport!!! so for touring in comfort and ease it seems natural that BMW is one of the best and honda makes some good offerings as well unless I want to go straight up cruiser harley-esq then its harder on my back and I don't like that but I won't rule them out either, more test rides are in order

OK Ben you asked for opinions,...

Does value matter?Do you want to spend 20k+ ?

Norge would be cool,but,,..9kish used to 14k new,unproven reliability over time,and known problems with other 4/8v,...I have been holding off.Now if someone wanted to give me one,....

Rented an R1100 several years ago in Ca. Great bike,handled great,unimpressive power.Nice build quality.Sort of like a Guzzi,with less power(if that's possible),a little more comfortable than a higher bared,RichMauded V11, and no soul to speak of.

LT,GS,GT'S ,all great bikes,comfortable,reliable,..but dollar to smile formula a little lop-sided to the dollar.

Would love a Duc ST,but not a serious long mileage bike,weekends ,week or two couple thousand miles would be it's comfort zone.And then reliability and service,...

Goldwing, hell ya!Smooth,comfortable,no maintenance,reliable and a great handling bike believe it or not.But price does factor in if you want a relatively late model.

I think the best value ,that includes 2 -up comfort,reliability,a little bit o soul and price is,.....a Honda ST1100!

I have owned my 1993 model since 2001.No problems,only tune-ups and tires.Cost $3900.00 used.Now at 86K miles,X country,many trips in all kinds of weather.Still get comments from people on how nice she looks and they can't believe it's a 13 year old bike.

If you get a post -96 model they changed to a 40 amp alternator that can handle as many farkles that you can throw at it.GPS,heated grips,vests,radar detector,...no matter,lotta DC volts to keep up,...unlike a v11 ^_^

Got a sweet V-4 ,transverse-mounted,shaft-drive,kinda like a Guzzi.Don't let the detractors(most have never owned one,or even ridden one)tell you they're bland.The quiet exhaust not only fools Johnny Law that your a nice,polite,law-abiding motorcyclist,it fools many bikers that this is a boring bike.Well if you miss fixing bikes by the side of the road, I guess it its boring.I always let my biker friends visiting ride her and they can't believe how the thing handles.

It's got tons of torque from 2k up.A good rider will have no problems keeping up with squids in turns.In the Black Canyon in Colorado fully loaded side,top,tank and camping gear on pass seat,I kept passing a GSXR in the twisties.Yes ,a much weaker rider,but about a 400lb weight advantage just shows how great a bike it is.

You could probably get a sub 50k mile ,loaded,mint one for later model 2001-02 in the 5-7 K range.

My 3 cents,...

Happy hunting!

ST1100___Woodstock.jpg

I've owned BM's over the years mainly as winter bikes and that includes a K12LT (Total shi*e) Now I use an old Guzzi as a winter bike. This year I did a 12 country 5000 mile tour on my Breva, it performed well and did everything expected of it. Last year I done a Euro tour of 4000 miles on a Norton Commando, the Commando still has it as the best toring bike out there as long as your handy with the spanners if not a Breva's a close second. In my opinion BM's are overpriced overhyped unreliable bits of machinery with no soul.

No I'm not mad!!

There is a kit now available for the Buell Uly, "rider comfort kit" I think they call it. Apparently it helps with the heat problem, and is adaptable to the older bikes. It is a heat shield, a fan duct, and a modified fan control logic, maybe other stuff? I've read good things about it, and it largely solves the heat problem I understand.

But I wouldn't know, I ride a Norge. Which, by the way is a great choice for you with the obvious exception of the lack of dealers. I think the Norge is one of the most comfortable sport tourers out there, good wind protection, heated grips, great range (250+ mi.) and now avaiable for dirt cheap because it is a Guzzi and isn't "collectable". I frequent varous Guzzi sites, and really there don't appear to be many problems with the Norges. Mine has been super reliable over 20k miles, and I think that is the norm. The thing just runs!