Well that was dumb!

polebridge

Well, after fixing that darn shift spring I put some oil into the trans and took it for a short ride (about 3 miles I guess). Seemed to shift OK so I parked it. After reading some threads on this board I figured I would go ahead and change the transmission and differential oil using Redline Heavy Shockproof. I ordered two quarts on the web.

Before it arrived I realized that I had accidentally put motor oil into the transmission case. java script:add_smilie(":doh:","smid_22") Da.... Don't know if I will suffer any consequences for that goof later on down the road. Anyway, the Redline arrived and I replaced the transmission and differential oil with that and took it for a ride today. Seems to be shifting as good as new so...I will keep my fingers crossed.

Anyone got any idea on the potential consequences (if any)?

Thanks.

At least you filled it with something.

You should hear about these Quick-lube places that would drain the gear oil on Saab 900s w/manual trans.,add 5 qts of oil and send them down the road!

No problem at all. Some transmissions use motor oil. Most bike transmissions use the engine oil to lub the tranny.

I would not give it another thought.

You should hear about these Quick-lube places that would drain the gear oil on Saab 900s w/manual trans.,add 5 qts of oil and send them down the road!

My brother tried that without help from other dilettants. Sudden front wheel lock at 70 km/h until stopped in a ditch. No-one was hurt but I can't forgive myself for not catching it when he phoned me, confused about the tiny amount of oil it took (at least he didn't overfill the engine). I helped him replace the gearbox though. Wasn't pretty.

My brother tried that without help from other dilettants. Sudden front wheel lock at 70 km/h until stopped in a ditch. No-one was hurt but I can't forgive myself for not catching it when he phoned me, confused about the tiny amount of oil it took (at least he didn't overfill the engine). I helped him replace the gearbox though. Wasn't pretty.

Front Raz?? :o

I once had a customer (many years ago) seeking help after a quick oil place had drained the manual trans on his VW Rabbit and over filled the engine. :homer: When he returned with a smoking car, they corrected the oil level and instead of refilling the gear box they poured gear oil onto the clutch / flywheel. :homer::homer: Now with a slipping clutch he did not want to go back again and showed up on our door step

When calling the quick lube owner with the news he just said fix it and send him the bill. Not even a question. I guess he was used to it. :huh2:

Guest ratchethack
I helped him replace the gearbox though. Wasn't pretty.
Yeah... on a SAAB 900. . .

You have my respect, Raz. :notworthy: I b'lieve my 900T was the only transmission-out project I ever actually hired a Pro to do on a car (out of many I did myself, including a 4-wheel drive), and once I saw it out, was even happier to pay the man. :whistle:

although valvoline is better for our trains/trans :lol:

OIL THREAD!!! OIL THREAD!!! Vigourously debate your choice of motor oil for use in your transmission. The more wild documentation, and personal taunts the better!

...I believe we are well on our way to the Winter Obsessive Phase :wacko:

OIL THREAD!!! OIL THREAD!!! Vigourously debate your choice of motor oil for use in your transmission. The more wild documentation, and personal taunts the better!

...I believe we are well on our way to the Winter Obsessive Phase :wacko:

Starting to get cold there eh? only 25 today Celsius :)

Bad boy, Murray! It's a *foul* not to show your location in your profile and taunt us with your good riding! ;)

I can say, here in Lower Middle Mule Town (of Tennessee, USA) the Guzzi loves this dry, dense 60 degree F air. She howls, she idles, she gets good fuel economy. Who could ask for more?