Unmanned aerial vehicles with Guzzi engine

biesel

I can't believe they use a Guzzi Ippogriffo engine in an airplane... heeeaaavvvyyyy! :wacko: But they do.

• Hunters are powered by two 750 cc Moto Guzzi motorcycle engines, though TRW technicians say the Army is trying to adapt a small Mercedes-Benz diesel motor to eliminate having to fuel with gasoline.

Could be because the engines are "soldierproof" :D

edit: I just read in the brochure that the Ippogriffo engine was designed for aeronautical purposes... That would be cool, flying a Guzzi airplane!

It's a shame Guzzi never put this bike into production.

I've never seen a flyer for it, so for the longest time I assumed it was an 1100 based on the transmission and the shape of the valve covers. I should have looked more closely at the block. Looks like it used the Sport rear drive as well- rather than the standard small block rear drive.

Oh well, it's cool, but not to be.

Cheers,

Jason

edit: But after reading the article (thanks for the link biesel), it looks like Spec. Dako Monzili has a bright future as a Guzzi mechanic. And I love the quote in the article:

“It’s a 1,600-pound Weedeater,” said Maj. Dennis Griffin, who commands the UAV company. :mg::drink:

"Hunters are powered by two 750 cc Moto Guzzi motorcycle engines, though TRW technicians say the Army is trying to adapt a small Mercedes-Benz diesel motor to eliminate having to fuel with gasoline."

Too bad. then it won't be as effective for kamikaze missions.

Speaking of which, how difficult would it be to convert our engines to diesels?

I seem to remember reading an article in a trade magazine about this a few years back. There was a stink about the cost overruns and the outrageous price for the motor. Something like $75,000. They were made in a small production run and the propeller drive was totally special.

Guest Jeff Kelland

dlaing, it would be virtually impossible to convert our engines to diesel without a complete redesign. As diesels are compression fired engines they need a stout compression ratio of nearly 20 to 1. The basic design of our engine would not stand the resulting cylinder loads without failing head gaskets, head bolts, cylinders etc. Interesting thought though, I have eyeballed some small refridgerated trailer compressor diesels that looked like they would fit in a bike frame, pretty low horsepower, but I bet the mileage would be great :rolleyes:

How about a two stroke conversion?!?

It could make an easy 100 RWHP.

But I never liked the sound of two strokes...

I guess that would need a whole new head and possibly a new piston as well as a new ignition and fuel system.

But it would smooth out some vibration, have no tappet noise

Guest Jeff Kelland

Nope, can't make it a 2-stroke either, that would need a redesign as well. 2-strokes need to be able to make compression under the piston, that's what forces the fuel mix up through the transfer ports into the cylinder. And we'd need to mount the carb on the crankcase with a reed valve. Unless we used a blower to force feed the mix into the side of the cylinder, then we could use both valves in the head as exhaust valves nah.... better just use it like it is :mg:

• 1 year later...
Nope, can't make it a 2-stroke either, that would need a redesign as well. .. Unless we used a blower to force feed the mix into the side of the cylinder, then we could use both valves in the head as exhaust valves ...

12702[/snapback]

Actually, the *exhaust* would be out the side of the cylinder, and you'd use both poppet valves for intake if redesigning the Guzzi mill as a compressor-inducted 2-stroke. None of which would result in more power until the engine is converted to liquid-cooling, since you'd just melt a piston or something worse until then... ;)