looking at a 2002 LeMans

badge502

Im looking at a 2002 LeMans... Pics look good, I havent seen it in person yet... He is asking $4000, and that sounds like a great deal to me... Its got 18,000 miles on it, and it supposedly runs great, etc... He has had to swap out the speedo, but nothing other than that... Any ideas of what I should be looking for? Ive had a couple of Guzzi's, a 95 1100 Sport, and a 98 Sport (I think)... Good deal? Walk away?

lemans.jpg

Good price in my opinion.

You would have to look at the bike and confirm its shape. 18,000 miles on a Guzzi is nothing, as long as it has been maintained reasonably.

Look thru the threads on model differences and things to watch for.

If it has the crinkle finish paint one the cases it will, eventually, peel and flake if it hasn't started to already. Cosmetic only, doesn't effect performance or reliability.

Pete

Not all: 02 Scura still good. 20k miles hardly ridden in bad weather or salt, but I don't think that's why. I think it is related to poor prep on cases or between coats (is there a basecoat/primer below the finish?) on some bikes at application. Heard a theory once blamed moisture below coating at aplication for poor adhesion.

Bike sounds good, as said above - check it all works, looks genuine, no crash damage. Why was speedo replaced? Is original available?

KB :sun:

+1 Like all the others have said. Good deal. If it is as clean as it looks in the pic and rides OK, go for it. I'd never part with my '02 for $4000.

Here's a list of what to look for written by Al Roethlisberger in a previous thread:

2002 was a bit of a double-whammy for the LeMans. It was Aprilia's first year of MG ownership, they stirred things up a bit such as consolidated/relocated much of the parts inventory that year, and was the first year for the LeMans and "long frame" bikes. With that in mind, although the V11 Sport had been in production for a couple years at that point, the new LeMans(and other V11 models of that year) had a few "bugs".

1) "fuzzy engine paint" - As you've no doubt noticed, the black engine paint introduced in ~02 tends to bubble and flake off of the drivetrain, especially in areas of higher heat. There was a "recall" some years back where MG would either provide new engine cases with ostensibly improved paint(which required a rebuild) or exchange for swag such as riding suits, etc. I suspect that this program is no longer available, or that a previous owner may have opted for the swag(and I'm relatively certain there aren't any other new cases). But most owners just chose to live with it as it isn't service affecting. Some folks also have chosen to strip off the black paint, and repaint with a different engine black or silver. Bottom line, this is a cosmetic issue.

2) Relays - As mentioned the stock relays have had issues for many, but there are several aftermarket varieties available that are much more reliable. It is often just a good idea to change out the whole batch of stock relays to avoid problems down the road.

3) Longer frame - This isn't a problem per se, although some folks were disappointed with the "slower handling" of the 02+ bikes. For some this isn't an issue, and some have said that tire choice can ameliorate the change. The same is true of the wider rear tire on the 02+ bikes. The 02 bikes carried over all the 00-01 body panels and in the case of the fuel tank was a little different "fit". It really is a cosmetic issue with the tank looking a bit "short", which was fixed with a new tank in 03.

4) Tank suck & Vapor Lock - These two related, although not necessarily dependent issues were a product of all pre 03 models and the external(of tank) fuel system, after which the fuel pump system was moved into the interior of the fuel tank. Not everyone has experienced the VL problem for a variety of reasons(which includes where the factory placed your fuel pump), but it does seem more susceptible to those in hot and higher altitude climates. For more detailed info on this issue, check out the FAQ at www.v11lemans.com. Although the vapor lock issue isn't consistent for all owners, the tank suck issue seems more prevalent and can cause tank deformation.

5) Transmission - There was a transmission recall for some 00-01 V11s, but I don't think any of the 02 LeMans fell within that recall. However some 02 and 03 bikes did receive a defective transmission side plate where the shift spring boss was 1mm too large, 16 instead of 15mm if I recall. In these examples the shift return spring would bind and eventually break, leaving the transmission stuck in the gear it was in. This is an easy fix. Early repairs were to install a heavier spring, but we soon found the mis-sized boss to be the real problem. The fix is to either get a new side cover or just grind down the boss.

You've already looked at grounding which can be a challenge as well as checking all lubrication. But other than the issues noted above, an 02 should be fine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I can think to add is that some 2002 bikes had a wrong sized spacer on rear axle can cause wheel bearings to wear prematurely

I just heard from the owner... Seems like there is an oil leak that he has sealed with gasket sealer "The oil leak was where the engine case splits open on the right side, high up "... The pics he sent look great, and he said the sealant stopped it from leaking... BUT for $4K its not going to be a concourse bike...

I just heard from the owner... Seems like there is an oil leak that he has sealed with gasket sealer "The oil leak was where the engine case splits open on the right side, high up "... The pics he sent look great, and he said the sealant stopped it from leaking... BUT for $4K its not going to be a concourse bike...

trying to picture that...where the tranny splits off? sealant in the oil? my motor has an oil weep somewhere up front, like the timing cover gasket.. it gets oil all over the block up there but never goes down on the dip stick. I should get into it this winter.

trying to picture that...where the tranny splits off? sealant in the oil? my motor has an oil weep somewhere up front, like the timing cover gasket.. it gets oil all over the block up there but never goes down on the dip stick. I should get into it this winter.

Good sign that the owner mentioned it.

I'd guess it is the timing cover gasket. Quite a few have leaked. I noticed mine before a planned ride and did the same thing. Cleaned it and injected sealer into the seam as a quick, temporary fix until I'd have time to pull the cover. I forgot about it and the leak hasn't come back.

The proper repair is now on my winter maintenance list.

Thanks for making extra work for me. :D

Good sign that the owner mentioned it.

I'd guess it is the timing cover gasket. Quite a few have leaked. I noticed mine before a planned ride and did the same thing. Cleaned it and injected sealer into the seam as a quick, temporary fix until I'd have time to pull the cover. I forgot about it and the leak hasn't come back.

The proper repair is now on my winter maintenance list.

Thanks for making extra work for me. :D

Sorry about that! I'm trying to figure out a way to get up there and take a look at it now... He sent some big pics, and it looks very nice, and is $2500 cheaper than another one for sale locally... I remember the sport motor, and thought that was the best motor of any bike I had ever ridden on, but then lost my job and had to sell it...

I also remember the 1100i Sport, and what a crippling SOB that riding position was... That was about the longest stretch to the handlebars Ive ever seen on a bike. Im pretty sure the LeMans is a bit more upright... I remember sitting on one over in Houston when they first came out, and falling for it then...

Leak does sound like timing cover gasket. This is common & I suspect due to poorly fitted gaskets on assembly. Mine did it - I think I just tightened up the case screws. Whatever, not a major issue.

But...check for any evidence of crash damage - If the leak is near the front right motor mount bolt, vulnerable in a crash on the V11, you should check for casing damage around the boss. There have been a few who have broken cases here even in low speed mishaps - but most likely it is the gasket.

Did vendor explain speedo replacement - got original?

Did vendor explain speedo replacement - got original?

This is a private seller, not a shop... I asked him if the bike had ever had a tip over, and he said it had not... Not sure about the speedo... Ill check