England and Wales

Admin Jaap

Guy, know the pub, nice pint. If you/Jaap do arrange to meet up I'd like to get along too. Did you ever get my email re Mid Wales few months back?

KB :sun:

Good idea! A nice, quiet :rolleyes: evening in a pub would be great. Guy, when will you be there?

Hi Jaap,

If it's any use to you, we are in rural Mid Wales (Orson's pic Snowdonia S Entrance is not far from here)- you could stay over if it suits - I know the roads round here pretty well & up to Holyhead - you might want to go up through Snowdonia which is pretty spectacular. I could most likely take a bit of time off work. There's also decent walking to be had in the hills, cycling, pub etc. In fact there's a bunch of us going walking in the mountains (Cnicht in Snowdonia) on 27th if you fancied that. Some nice roads on the way over from NEC too, esp if you drop a little South, head W on A44 then come up through Wales...SE England is pretty congested, esp N of London ... a direct route Colchester - NEC doesn't look very interesting but there are good, quieter, interesting roads if you stay off the main rat runs - needs a bit of luck/local knowlkedge tho. You might head N & W from Colchester if you have the time,across the fens (although perhaps nothing exciting in them for a Dutchman - flatland, dykes etc...) & go on to the Peak District - visit the Cat & Fiddle road - probably the most famous/notorious bike road in Britain :unsure: ...

If we narrow exact areas down a little, I'm sure there's a bunch of interesting sites/roads/cafes/pubs etc. etc that others & I could suggest, I'd be happy to suggest roads, places I know enroute & can do a bit of thinking....

Keith, thanks for the offer! Keep in mind we are three (Antonio, Jens and myself). If possible we would like to meet and stay over, but we don't want to overextend your hospitality. We have tents with us, maybe that's a possibility?

After visiting the BMM, we were thinking of touring in Wales for a couple of days and then hop over to Ireland. Maybe you have some places / roads in Wales we just have to do?

Cheers!

Yes I would book ferries in advance just in case- may be cheaper too. It is also Bank Holiday weekend so there will be a lot of travellers heading for the ferries.

When I have a bit more time I will give it some more thought and come up with some ideas, but at the moment I am thinking Peak District / Mid Wales.

I was at the National Motorcycle Museum a few weeks ago- very interesting collection of British bikes- I would stay away from the area in rush hour though- maybe aim to get there late morning, and get away early afternoon- it is on the busy outskirts of Birmingham.

Maybe I could get a day off work and meet up with you- we are heading to a campsite at Dinas Mawddwy at the bank holiday weekend ourselves- there is a nice pub called the Red Lion where you can stay if you like- nice roads around there with little traffic.

Red Lion

Guy, we would love to meet you and maybe your travel partners (Helen or/and Mal) at the place you named.

I have no idea where that is, But for Jens, Jaap and me would be great to meet each other and have a few drink. :bier:

Have you plans to go there and stay in a tent or B&B?

We have a tent and if you go to some camping we will hook up. :thumbsup:

Yes I did get your email Keith- sorry if I did not reply probably lost the plot while I was working away- we did not go in the end due to the snow, but will be there from Friday night if you want to meet up.

Dutch guys- I can't get any time off work- but if you are within striking distance I may be able to meet you somewhere in the evening. Antonio- you were asking about a campsite / B & B near Birmingham- well Birmingham itself is not a pleasant place to camp- its a big busy industrial grey city (sorry Brummies!)but I will try and find you a nice campsite nearby- if you camped North of Birmingham you would be in the Peak District, which is on the way to Wales anyway.

Keith, thanks for the offer! Keep in mind we are three (Antonio, Jens and myself). If possible we would like to meet and stay over, but we don't want to overextend your hospitality. We have tents with us, maybe that's a possibility?

After visiting the BMM, we were thinking of touring in Wales for a couple of days and then hop over to Ireland. Maybe you have some places / roads in Wales we just have to do?

Cheers!

Hi Jaap, which day you at BMM & which day you sailing for Ireland? As I said, I'm walking Thursday, but otherwise fairly flexible, let me know dates & we can sort something. I'll pm you.

Keith, you have 2 PM's.

Our itinerary so far:

Monday: Colchester to South Wales (Brecon Beacons)

Tuesday: Scenic tour in Wales (Start and finish in Brecon Beacons region - if you know some nice roads, let us know!

Wednesday: Going North and maybe stay at Baldini

Thursday: Short run to Holyhead through Snowdonia - ferry to Dublin

Friday to Sunday: Ulster meet (Sheep Island view)

The BMM is still an option; we decide on that on Sunday evening in Colchester, if so, Guy, we have your number! :thumbsup:

Hi Jaap, haven't got the hang of new pm workings yet... :rolleyes: I keep missing them cos they come into seperate folders or something... But just pm'd you with my phone no's - give me a ring? It'd be easier to discuss in real time? Cheers, Keith

Keith, you have 2 PM's.

Our itinerary so far:

Monday: Colchester to South Wales (Brecon Beacons)

Tuesday: Scenic tour in Wales (Start and finish in Brecon Beacons region - if you know some nice roads, let us know!

Wednesday: Going North and maybe stay at Baldini

Thursday: Short run to Holyhead through Snowdonia - ferry to Dublin

Friday to Sunday: Ulster meet (Sheep Island view)

The BMM is still an option; we decide on that on Sunday evening in Colchester, if so, Guy, we have your number! :thumbsup:

fastest way from Colchester to Brecon is 249 Mls or 402 km. If we want we could! We can also put our stuff there in Brecon, and next day ride back to Birmingham and visit the BMM. BMM it's about 150 km from the place we could stay in Wales.

I think it's a good option Jaap.