I think my next bike should be this. . .

Took the SMT and the 990 Adventure out on Monday. Both are fantastic bikes but found that I prefered the Adventure.

The Adventure has a relaxed side whereas the SMT requires more focus all of the time.

Both bikes are very quick and are light to handle on the move, Adv has a lighter feeling front end. SMT is able to change direction with very little imput but for me did not feel as stable as the Adv. My normal day to day ride is a BMW 1200GS.

SMT was not as comfortable over time (it's a hard seat). Adv seemed to have a better fairing but that may be beacause you don't sit as close to it as on the SMT.

Both bikes have very light throttles and seemed a bit snatchy at low speeds. The Adv more so than the SMT. Think that it's more a case of being very fine with your throttle control. Dealer also advised to stay in a higher gear at low speeds which also helped smooth the snatchiness out.

I would not mind either bike but for me the Adv has the edge.

Find a dealer and get a test ride.

The sales guy at the dealership I went to told me that KTM like you to take the bikes out for long test rides as it's a lot of money for a bike and they want you to be satisfied that it's going to be right for you.

I LIKE ALLLL kinda of bikes, trust me its like women I like brunettes but I LOVE redheads so just give me a little slack if I could I'd have a nice guzzi and 2 other bikes in rotation from year to year or a garage FULL of'em I also like the BMW 1200GS but the price is nearly double in similar setup(at min 5k more) over the SM-T unless you meant the KTM adv which is only like $1k more. I wonder if I could get a bigger screen and I can't buy it this summer but I need goals, hell it took me 3 years to pull the trigger on the guzzi and I've had her 7 years now, started looking at aprilias when I was in high school back in 99 and didn't get one till 2008, I'm not a snap bike purchasing individual

Find a dealer and get a test ride.

The sales guy at the dealership I went to told me that KTM like you to take the bikes out for long test rides as it's a lot of money for a bike and they want you to be satisfied that it's going to be right for you.

THAT right there makes me like them even more, The BMW dealer by me was the same way but I hate how some dealers and brands just try and push it on you and won't let you ride them, puts me right off.

If you are still looking for a long distance bike the Adventure is probably a better choice for comfort and weather protection.

Well the Adv doesn't really light my fire plus the boxes for it are overkill, I'll give it a look when I'm able to go down and take a look at them but I also don't plan to drive to Alaska just around the state, tri-state area at most, I would think a better seat or maybe sheep skin and a larger windscreen on the SMT would solve that area

I've been lusting after the SMT since I first heard about it a few years ago.

If I had the money that's what I'd be replacing my Scura with now (but I don't).

The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the size of the saddlebags.

I've got 42 liter Givi's right now and I've gotten really spoiled.

That KTM really looks like the ideal balance of hooligan fun with practicality and comfort.

johnk

That KTM really looks like the ideal balance of hooligan fun with practicality and comfort.

johnk

THAT is what has me sold, and I'm fine with the small bags as I never take much and I'd get a tail bag as well plus I have a backpack but I don't want a big wonky bike for mostly city travel with a trip once or twice a year