honda vfr1200,. Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I,ve been disillusioned/disgruntled with Guzzi for a while now; not regarding the V11 Le Man but rather the modern Guzzi's I own.While the 8v 1200sport is a great bike for a guzzi, I still can't help but feel that at over £9000 list I could have and indeed should have got a lot more.My biggest gripe is regarding Guzzi's complete lack of any meaningful 'customer service''and having to wait literally months for a fuel guage repair under warranty.It still hasn't arrived from Italy.

Because of this I started to look at what else I could buy to fulfil my duel sports and tourer requirements.I settled on the vfr1200 and yesterday took one for a ride.Needless to say my 1200sport is going in part ex. and i won't bother again buying a 'modern' bike from Guzzi;not at least until the bikes are 100% better and Guzzi learn how to appreciate customers.In fact I might just have managed to get the insane grin off my face following the test ride.[mind you, thats going to be a very long time indeed].

And before anyone asks, no, the Honda is still not quite as good as the LeMans, at least not in my feeble mind.

What does anyone out there think?

Andy.

Hmm VFR1200, Not exactly a looker :whistle: Make sure its not one of those with the dodgy engines (swarf). Thinking of a new bike as well. Not sure what, but i know it wont be japanese as i dont like built in blandness. What guzzi dealer are you using!! as it could be them not giving a toss. Anyway enjoy whatever you buy. :thumbsup:

Seems to me it (the 1200 sport) is the only two up sports tourer for the 'I want something different' brigade. So has it got the panniers? If yes where are you trading it in? Oh nearly forgot - Aaaberdin

Hello James

Still lusting after the 1200 sport i see (what colour is it!! a fastblack or a eberdeen red), I was impressed with them at the northern ireland meeting. Antonio,s was LOUD. I can see one in my future too :race:

Fairlie sureley

Gary

Hi Gunmetal grey V11 type. of course It'll have to be abberdeene red, unless it's another colour.....Harry phoned me to tell me about the Andywhoppit post, and there's you babbling away as well. :wacko: Just goes to show we need to get out more....Thought I saw one on the shirlaws site? Yup still can't find an alternative to add to the short list of one. Just have to find one that somebody like andy hasn't broken ;):D

James

Personally I loved the way the older VFRs made power, the V4 is a great engine, havent ridden the new one (I preferred the pre angular design) but its bound to be good, but be aware of the heat potential of this bike during the summer. Other options include the Triumph Sprint, Tiger and Ducati Multistrada, give them a test ride too. I shy away from blistering devaluation so end up with bikes a few years old. Lots of Sport Tourers out there with no mileage on em. Looks like you have enough Guzzis in the shed so you can always hop on one when you need a "fix". There never is a direct replacement, just another option. Its funny the search for another bike is just a blast, followed by reward. It really is "all good". Cheers :bier:

I have owned three different VFR's and currently have a 02 VTEC ABS.Great bike and engine.For comfortable,agile handling,great V-4 motor,it's hard to beat and they're cheap.They have had a couple of electrical issues which Honda recalled and fixed promptly and FOC to the owners.Something I'm still waiting for Guzzi to do.

The 1200 hasn't been a huge success,a lot of owners love the engine, comfort,and handling.Many complain about lack of fuel range,price and some say excessive heat.Honda targeted buyers who were going for BMW K1300S class sport-tourers who didn't mind paying premium price.A 160 HP V4 engine is anything but bland,just go test ride one.the quiet exhaust fools many.

Ive never liked Beemers style ,and going in that direction ,didn't work for me or a lot of previous VFR owners.Also the K bikes have more factory touring options.If you really want a VFR 1200, it would be a better value to wait a year or two and buy a mint low mileage example.Or go the route I did and got a loaded,mint low mileage,ready to tour 800,100hp+ bike for 4700.00,4 years ago,cheaper now.About a quarter of what you'd pay for a similar equipped 1200.Bags,centerstand,heated grips,power outlets are options.No heated seats,gps,electronic suspension,or traction control are available.Something to consider if you want some modern toys.They are coming out with a touring version next year,but don't know how different it will be.

This is the definitive site for VFR's,lotta owners reviews and thoughts,

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/forum/104-seventh-generation-vfrs/

I feel your pain. As I speak my tenni is still in France with a buggered clutch. I've since found out it had been fitted wrongly by my local garage. The bike has 20000 miles on it, and it was the 6th time I've watched it being towed to a garage.

Lack of a guzzi dealer in my country, combined with a basic(but I'd like to think improving) mechanical knowledge , has proven a big obstacle. Look at bfg's griso problems.

And I'm thinking of buying a Norge in the spring! It's bonkers.

But I can't think of an alternative that gets my attention. Catch 22.....

If anyone does want a non-Guzzi sport tourer its worth considering a Sprint ST.

Loads of character, lovely torquey triple cyclinder engine with plenty of poke and a lovely unique sound. Comfy, handles very well, lowish mass and reliable. Well specced out too- bought mine last year for £7500 new and that included panniers, gel seat, heated grips, naughty exhaust and alarm (which is crap). Tank range is 200 miles+ and its much cheaper than the Honda.

The new GT version is a bit fugly- but you can still buy a new ST in the UK.

6320_121728794815_635879815_2940730_3389348_n.jpg

Back again,

Deal done, but common sense prevailed and I went for an ex demo bike with 450miles on the clock for £2500 off list price.Red in colour and absolutely gorgeous.Full touring kit,heated grips,alarm and centre stand included.As bland as a curried haggis Gary.

Hi James, if you are interested in my 1200sport it's going to Bob Minions, Honda dealer in Derby(01332 342064 ask for Mark) It's in excellent condition,2400miles but no Panniers.The only extra fitted was a rear hugger.I have got a brand new set as well as loads of other extras(rack,tank bag,tail pack,alarm,heated grips and several carbon fibre bits) so if you do get one and are interested, give me a call.By the way it's Black, and I believe they'll be asking aroun £6500 to £6700 for it.

Thanks for the info. re. the Triumph,Guzzirider.I did consider it as it's a good looking capable machine but sadly it's got a chain drive so ruled it out.

Thanks for everyones input, and sorry you still haven't the old girl home yet Fergus.Can't you get her on a flight as hand luggage?Bit by bit.

Still haven't watched Song for Europe episode yet,in fact I think I'll go and watch it now.I let you know if I can identify your laugh.

Bye.

.As bland as a curried haggis Gary.

Well thats really bland :grin: and a heart attack maker. Congrats on the new bike, have seen the deals on offer for the vfr,good deals, chap down the road from me bought one of the first in the UK, must be kicking himself now. Thinking of a new bike myself, waiting to see the new triumph tiger 800 :food:

Gary