Rear washer

docc

So, I remember a thread on there being a washer between the right side of the rear drive (next to the nefarious needle cage) and the right swingarm. I've never had one, or it fell off in the floor at some early service.:unsure:

So, I thought I would put one in and ordered the bad boy up (GU37359005); delivered as "Rosetta" at a whopping 13.18 USD.

So, I'm glad to have it and I'll get it installed as there is a little space there otherwise and I'd like to think it will protect the flimsy needle cage.

I guess if I knew the actual dimensions, I could have bought one locally for 75 cents. Maybe the MG part has a Rockwell hardness of 60?

Still, I am devoted to the upkeep of this bike and the support of the remaining dealers. Bless them, indeed.:mg:

I wonder, though, at one of the entries on the factory packing slip: "tipo: NOR"

Do I have have a real and genuine Norwegian washer? Wow, then, it's worth the thirteen bucks to keep those guys in Vodka. :drink:

Jeez, a thirteen dollar washer - what an idiot!

Jeez, a thirteen dollar washer - what an idiot!

I don't think my bike has such a washer. I felt good knowing about the spacer between the wheel and drive! Any chance you could give that washer a measuring (thickness, inner, outer dimensions) so's I can get the $.75 version?

I don't think my bike has such a washer. I felt good knowing about the spacer between the wheel and drive! Any chance you could give that washer a measuring (thickness, inner, outer dimensions) so's I can get the $.75 version?

He'll give you that info for $6.59 :grin:

It is M 25 x 40, 1.5 mm thick ( 0.060") and the steel doesn't look anything special.

Apparently "tipo" is not where the part is made. Not sure what that means "tipo: NOR." Perhaps "normale" as in "nothing special/ just a washer."

I've heard a lot of guys say they don't have them, and don't remember anyone saying they do. It's in the diagrams, but maybe there is some reason not to fit it?.

It is M 25 x 40, 1.5 mm thick ( 0.060") and the steel doesn't look anything special.

Apparently "tipo" is not where the part is made. Not sure what that means "tipo: NOR." Perhaps "normale" as in "nothing special/ just a washer."

I've heard a lot of guys say they don't have them, and don't remember anyone saying they do. It's in the diagrams, but maybe there is some reason not to fit it?.

As "Tipo" is type in Italian I believe, I would agree that you paid a big chunk for a "Type Normal" washer.

Sorry to hear.

I don't remember seeing one or not. I just try to use all the parts I have when putting something back together. Now you are making me wonder if I need to confirm that all the parts required were used at the factory when it was first assembled.

No, I need to have faith that Guido used all the parts my bike needed when he built it. If you have faith, the bridge will not fall down.

You are talking about No 33 in this diagram. Yes it should be there. You'll have all kinds of crap going into the needle roller bearing without it. I wash out & regrease the bearing sometimes when wheel is out - it needs it. I refit washer using a load of grease & just clean off the excess.

V11 Drivebox.jpg

The original bearing on my bike lasted 20,000 miles. We'll see if my mod helps in the ever popular "failing outboard needle bearing". There is a slight depression around the bore for that bearing, in the swingarm. I got a rubber washer from my local hardware store. The O.D. is the size of that depression. Then I enlarged the hole in the middle of the rubber to the I.D. of the aforementioned steel washer, smeared grease in the the depression, both sides of the the rubber and the inside of the washer and sandwiched the rubber between the swingarm and the steel washer. It certainly seems to be sealed better from the elements but only the miles will tell... :notworthy::mg::wub:

P.S. Docc, I'm with you on the dealer support aspect. I could have easily found a washer to work (Mine was all rusty), or just sanded mine clean, or made one myself. I bought it for roughly the same price you did. Why? Because I buy from the local MG dealer whenever I can cause I want him there when I NEED something. Plus, I just like to hang out there, and ANY excuse will do.

Docc,

could you get this washer on your bike in the meantime? How did it fit?

Hubert

Looks like it belongs. Now there is a 1,5 mm washer where there was a 1,5 mm space. I really do hope it seals that needle cage a little better.

On my V11 I have neither this washer nor a gap. in other words there wouldnt be space even if I wanted to fit one.

On my sport1100 I dont have a washer either but there is most definitely a gap (there are other bits missing as well so some @#$%&**!! has had has paws on the bike.)

Maybe the manufacturing tolerances in the swing arm dictate whether a washer is needed? I wouldnt put it past :luigi::whistle:

Tom

On my V11 I have neither this washer nor a gap. in other words there wouldnt be space even if I wanted to fit one.

On my sport1100 I dont have a washer either but there is most definitely a gap (there are other bits missing as well so some @#$%&**!! has had has paws on the bike.)

Maybe the manufacturing tolerances in the swing arm dictate whether a washer is needed? I wouldnt put it past :luigi::whistle:

Tom

Hi, Tom,

I believe the rear drives are completely different on your two Guzzis. I wondered if maybe the washer was original to the 1100 series, but not needed for some reason on the V11.:huh2:

Tom

Hi, Tom,

I believe the rear drives are completely different on your two Guzzis. I wondered if maybe the washer was original to the 1100 series, but not needed for some reason on the V11.:huh2:

Hi Docc

they certainly look different but if you look in the V11 parts diagram there is this washer which has the same part number as the 1100 one. Understanding Guzzi exploded drawings is an art in itself. Not everything is where you expect it to be. Even if you bike is running perfectly there is always something to keep you busy :rolleyes: