• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most other factories sell sports bikes

and manage to keep them up to date too, i.e. develop new versions.

Why is it more cost effective to produce a Stelvio or a Griso?

Most other factories do have money for that. And those which sell sports bikes also are setting the actual standards, like Honda or actually BMW. The cycle press wouldn't even park a "sports" Guzzi in line with them. It wouldn't make much sense anyway.

That's why I think they think a Griso or Stelvio is more cost effective to produce for them: they see a little chance at least to sell enough of them to make enough money to serve the debts.

hubert

If Guzzi produced a bike that would lap everything else, some magazine writer (poser) would find some problem with the way the kickstand touched the pavement incorrectly. He would give it the "thumbs down" and declare the motorcycle totally worthless. No one would buy it and the M G would remain where it is today.

If Guzzi produced a bike that would lap everything else, some magazine writer (poser) would find some problem with the way the kickstand touched the pavement incorrectly. He would give it the "thumbs down" and declare the motorcycle totally worthless. No one would buy it and the M G would remain where it is today.

Well I don't know about the USA but UK press aren't that biased against Guzzi & ime, usually over the last few yrs try find something good to say. Guzzi do not produce a bike that would lap everything else but if they did then the press could not ignore that - it's not the press or anyone else, it's Guzzi that shoot themselves in the foot every time.

The pace of that Alba in the video looked to be down to a decent rider who knew the track - in fact it seemed pretty slow on the straight (compared to a full on modern sports bike) as of course it would be, with stockish Guzzi motor...

Still it's great to see someone trying to do something with a Sports Guzzi, good luck to you Millepercento - just get shot of that awful bodywork (I notice they'd blacked it out on that track session...)...

KB :sun:

Most other factories do have money for that.

... at least to sell enough of them to make enough money to serve the debts.

hubert

A bit off to the side of the topic:

Italian factories - better out of Italy? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11624064

... Italian factories - better out of Italy? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11624064

" ...Fiat has been waging a bitter battle with the Italian unions over the company's plans to improve productivity through stricter working conditions and shut down a factory in Sicily. ..."

That's the standard 'Cavaliere' rant I suppose. Just think of overcapacities in the 20% range in the automotive industry and you can see what they're afraid of. The typical thing is that again the poorest shall be the first when it comes to make sure the profit of his buddies.

BTW: did you know that Castiglioni sold MV to HD for 57.5 mio usd? Then, 2 years later in 2010 and after HD had pushed another 47.5 mio usd into MV he bought the company back for exactly 3 dollars. I mean three, like 3 kids or 'I'll count to three'. Compared to the billions of dollars which vanish every now and then on their way from one bank to the next this MV deal still stands for some sort of extraordinary honourable business :grin:

BTW-2: this new Ducati will flop.

hubert

Castiglioni sold MV to HD for 57.5 mio usd? Then, 2 years later in 2010 and after HD had pushed another 47.5 mio usd into MV he bought the company back for exactly 3 dollars. I mean three,

Or as reported here: £1

– that's one GBP. I mean one, which is two less then even three.

Or, in Euros – around about 1

Harley-Davidson has announced that it has sold the MV Agusta brand to Claudio Castiglioni and his wholly owned holding company, MV Agusta Motor Holding, S.r.l. For those who aren't exactly up on their boutique Italian motorcycle history, Castiglioni is the same man H-D bought the company from back in 2008 and had been serving as company chairman ever since.

No actual financial data has yet been announced, but rumors from Italy have it that the Italian businessman isn't actually paying anything more than a single symbolic euro for the storied motorcycle manufacturer and may even be getting some additional financial support from Harley-Davidson for the foreseeable future.

Couple those reports with the realization that H-D payed $109 million for MV Agusta just two years ago and subsequently spent big money to revamp the Italian manufacturer's product lineup and it's easy to see that the Milwaukee-based company is coming out the biggest loser in this exchange.

Harley is showing no (official) hard feelings, though. "MV Agusta is a proud brand and we wish Mr. Castiglioni and the company's employees well," Harley-Davidson President and Chief Executive Officer Keith Wandell said in a statement. Feel free to peruse the official press release after the break.

... that's one GBP. I mean one, which is two less then even three...

I was tempted to write "three - like in 'you can count to three?'" :grin:

Castiglioni says the crisis actually still were not over, for the motorcycle market in general. Or in HD words:

...Harley-Davidson as a company has suffered from the economic downturn. Harley sales in the United States dropped 26 percent between 2008 and 2009, according to the company’s annual report. The company projected the number of motorcycles shipped in 2010 would fall another 5 to 10 percent. A production facility in York, PA was restructured and the number of test facilities was reduced from three to one in 2009, according to the report.

In the past two years, 50 Harley dealerships around the country have closed, Delanuez said, with another 50 headed for closing.

This new Ducati will not flop only, it has the potential to become a real disaster for them. They can only hope that Rossi at least will keep what they were promissing themselfs.

hubert

Ducati says: "the Diavel will take the man-motorcycle relationship to the next level in absolute comfort."

A comment on MCN says: "Well done Ducati! Almost wish I had saved my deposit on the V7 Racer for this beast."

I guess he must mean the Guzzi Racer. Gosh.

Well, the pics are coming out now, just before it's officially revealed (tomorrow?).

Seems there are two versions

A standard version and an uprated Diavel Carbon, with carbon fibre bodywork, traction control, ABS and ride mode selector, lighter Marchesini forged wheels, an engine derived from the new Multistrada 1200 and a claimed 162bhp. It will tip the scales at 210kg dry. Wheelbase is 62.6 inches with Ducati promising 41-degree lean angles. Rear tyre is 240/45 profile.

Ducati General Manager Claudio Domenicali:

“We are here at EICMA this week with a series of important innovations that are totally in line with our strategic industrial plan and the Diavel is, without doubt, the most exciting innovation in our 2011 line-up because it represents a new concept of motorcycle. It is a naked because it is essential, light and agile; a cruiser because it is imposing and also comfortable with a passenger; and a sports bike because it has a powerful heart, muscles, and levels of performance that take your breath away.”

“Until now, no segment has ever captured these characteristics in just one bike. We are extremely satisfied with the Diavel, it represents the very concept of ‘sport’ and celebrates all that Ducati has achieved in recent years. If the Multistrada 1200 represents the perfect synthesis between functionality and performance, the Diavel creates a new interpretation of performance, this time combined with technology and design."

diavel-1.jpg

diavel-5.jpg

diavel-4.jpg

05-Diavel.jpg

08-Diavel.jpg

Ducati%20Diavel.jpg17-Diavel-Carbon.jpg

14-Diavel.jpg

That Duc is f*ing ugly. I really doubt that it will have a lot of following but you never know. As for some saying that Alba was somewhat slow I would recommend to do some reading. The engine in the bike is supposedly 1420 cc with watercooled heads. It produces 165 hp with 110 lbs/ft torque. That is only a few Hp less then Ducati 1198 but way more torque. Also, Guarreschi won BOTT and Daytona on the MGS 01 with that engine. In fact it blew Ducati away. I would love to buy such a bike. Actually considering prices of the bikes now, $18-22 would be acceptable for such a machine. As for someone complaining about fairing, all I could say is that you should buy HD and get a complete piece of sh*t . At least it will not have any fairing homer.gif. Just because someone owns a Guzzi should not be considered old and think that Guzzi is for old fart though the crowd that owns these is definitely older then the average sport rider. I, for one, uy a bike without some fairing. Fairing adds a lot of elegance.

I think Alba should rework an upper fairing to complete smothness of the bike and rework a little bit side fairing. By the way that BB1 engine is available for sale. Its 10000 Euros, plus you would need to provide your donor engine. In addition you would need to get a radiator and new ECU

Well I don't know about the USA but UK press aren't that biased against Guzzi & ime, usually over the last few yrs try find something good to say. Guzzi do not produce a bike that would lap everything else but if they did then the press could not ignore that - it's not the press or anyone else, it's Guzzi that shoot themselves in the foot every time.

The pace of that Alba in the video looked to be down to a decent rider who knew the track - in fact it seemed pretty slow on the straight (compared to a full on modern sports bike) as of course it would be, with stockish Guzzi motor...

Still it's great to see someone trying to do something with a Sports Guzzi, good luck to you Millepercento - just get shot of that awful bodywork (I notice they'd blacked it out on that track session...)...

I must say I like what I see. The Alba looks ace and I wouldn´t mind having one parked in my garage. Wonder if a certain Chief Whip on this particular forum has inspired the Millepercento guys?? Much similarity between Jaap's new moneypit and the Alba. Have you become a stockholder, Jaap?? :whistle::grin:

And I agree with BFG, FalcoLion and Baldini: The bike looks much better sans all the plastic bits. IMO the V2 Guzzi engine is one of the most beautiful engines in the world so why wrap it in cling film? Doesn't make sense. Let it all hang out, for Gods sake!

As for the general slamming of Moto Guzzis I've also noticed that especially the UK bike magazines like Fastbike and Performance Bike really fancy the MG's. One of the magazines ran a test on the 1200 Sport and they were head over heels. In fact the editor stated that some of the test riders had begun to talk about transversal mounted V2 engines, shaft drives, vibrations and stuff. Still hope out there, I presume :rolleyes: Only hiccup was that the 1200 Sport had more front than Blackpool and Jordan together...You get the pic :-)

The new Diavel seems like Ducati's attempt to sweet talk potential (American??) Harley V Rod buyers to look the Italian way. A Diavel won't make much sense here on European highways yet alone on A- and B-roads. Too bulky. And it is by far one of the most butt ugly bikes to set foot on Earth. Must be a Ducati designer apprentice who went berserk on the pc while the rest were having lunch. My goodness it's ugly...

All in all I wish all the luck in the world to Millepercento. If it wasn't for guys like them we would all be riding bog standard bikes. Hail the bodgers! :drink:

BR

Søren

...As for some saying that Alba was somewhat slow I would recommend to do some reading. The engine in the bike is supposedly 1420 cc with watercooled heads. It produces 165 hp with 110 lbs/ft torque...

I would recommend; forget the reading & look what's in front of you: Whilst the Big Bore (watercooled) motor is shown fitted in some of the build photos, it's not used in the bike in the track video. That has a stock-looking MG 8V air cooled motor. If you look at the video, the Alba circulates with (what appears to be) a Griso for a while, which looks pretty well matched for performance, think someone suggested it's a Griso cup bike.

As for the plastics - I have nothing particular against fairings generally - though I'd like to see the Guzzi motor - it's just imo the side panels on this bike are real ugly & their lines at odds with the rest of the bike.