Our beloved bikes have earned most of the bad (sporting) press they've gotten, as much as I love them. BMW took abuse for a long time in the sporting world while they tried to make the boxer engine bikes go fast. They just don't cut it as a pure sports bike. So they made the S1000 and put everything else on it's ear, gaining the credit it deserved. If Guzzi made a bike that lapped everything else (I don't know that they should) then I'm sure it would get the same good press as BMW. BUT, to do it, I doubt they'd be able to use any recognizable engine set up. Shaft drive won't cut it. Air cooled is definitely not going to make the (reliable) power required. BMW built a bike that is basically the same conventional architecture as the Japanese bikes to get there.

Stateside, I've read lots of good reviews on the Stelvio and Griso, where the motor fits the machine's intended use much better.

And that new Ducati just gets uglier every time I see a new picture of it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..As for some saying that Alba was somewhat slow I would recommend to do some reading. The engine in the bike is supposedly 1420 cc with watercooled heads. It produces 165 hp with 110 lbs/ft torque. That is only a few Hp less then Ducati 1198 but way more torque. Also, Guarreschi won BOTT and Daytona on the MGS 01 with that engine.

I would recommend; forget the reading & look what's in front of you: Whilst the Big Bore (watercooled) motor is shown fitted in some of the build photos, it's not used in the bike in the track video. That has a stock-looking MG 8V air cooled motor. If you look at the video, the Alba circulates with (what appears to be) a Griso for a while, which looks pretty well matched for performance, think someone suggested it's a Griso cup bike.

As for the plastics - I have nothing particular against fairings generally - though I'd like to see the Guzzi motor - it's just imo the side panels on this bike are real ugly & their lines at odds with the rest of the bike.

KB :sun:

Yes the Alba seems to be using the standard 8v motor as stock, certainly in those pics. I think there maybe was an early version with the big bore 1400 watercooled, but that doesn't seem to be the intent.

The MGS runs a completely different (older) motor again.

That Duc is f*ing ugly.

The Fugly Duckling? :lol:

:grin:

BTW, your cat knows from ugly: if he says it is, it must be so! :grin:

Unfortunately, the Diavel can't just wait for its fur to grow out again! ;)

That Duc is f*ing ugly.

:grin:

BTW, your cat knows from ugly: if he says it is, it must be so! :grin:

Unfortunately, the Diavel can't just wait for its fur to grow out again! ;)

You boys across the pond will but them by the boatload. :food:

You boys across the pond will buy them by the boatload. :food:

Don't blame me, I was only born here! The rest of my countrymen seem unusually resistant to my efforts to educate them in the finer points of good taste. Or even the coarse points! :lol:

• 3 months later...

So, now I have to say, 'people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones'.

When it first appeared, the shock of the Diavel made it look like a ballon modeller's best effort at depicting a pot-bellied pig.

According to first ride reports, actually – it works!

Ducati has moved forwards and produced something new, innovative, in keeping with contemporary performance and delivered the proof of the pudding: it rides, it performs.

Everyone will be aware of the Diavel. In keeping with Guzzi's abysmal marketing, no-one much will know about Guzzi's version of a 'cruiser', appearing on the stage at the same time. Us Guzzi buyers know about it though, and really, I don't think that it's Ducati that should be laughed at any more.

Ducati say the new Diavel is a 'power cruiser', but where exactly does it fit in?

MCN's Phil West tested the Ducati Diavel in Spain and was blown away by the 162bhp, V-twin powered Ducati.

ducati-diavel.jpg

We’re absolutely blown away by the Diavel. It’s so light, fast and sophisticated, so good handling and fun, it completely turns on its head everything we thought so-called ‘cruisers were about until now. Or, to put it another way: the Diavel does to the cruiser bike class pretty much – if not more – what Ducati’s Multistrada did to the adventure bike class last year. It adds a degree of performance and sports ability to a class of bike where it simply didn’t exist before.

Engine

MCN rating (I'll not repeat them in each section – the ratings are full 5 stars or else 4)

Testastretta 11º engine is essentially identical to that of the Multistrada 1200. Different exhaust and airbox, however, liberates 12 extra bhp to produce a peak bhp of 162 enough for it to be quicker even than the 1198 0-100kph. Fuelling is and delivery is perfect, switchable riding modes (engine maps) allows a choice between Urban (100bhp), Touring (soft 162bhp) or Sports (sharp 162bhp) maps, making it not just fiendishly potent, but practical and versatile, too.

Ride and Handling

We can’t quite get our heads around how Ducati has managed it, considering the Diavel’s long, low cruiser gait and fat back tyre, but this bike steers and sweeps and scratches and stops almost – almost – as good as a super naked. It’s that good. It steers perfectly neutrally and holds its line without complaint or (amazingly) decking out – and boy we tried. Its ride is smooth and controlled, the suspension exuding strength and quality. And the brakes are simply awesome. Sports bikes WILL be humbled by the Diavel.

Equipment

Tons of high tech as standard, including ABS, DTC (traction control) the riding modes system, TFT instruments, top spec brakes, not to mention a ‘car-style’ keyless ignition, novel LED head, tail and ‘strip’ indicator lights, footpegs with detachable rubbers, billet mirrors and a large diameter exhaust which includes not one but two lambda sensors, a catalytric converter and an power valve. High tech? The Diavel’s certainly got it…

Quality and Reliability

Too early to pronounce on reliability, although recent Ducatis are generally much improved with extended 15,000-mile service intervals, but quality certainly impresses: all the wiring and hosing is neatly hidden away; the raised badging is mouthwateringly tactile; all the surfaces are either glossy paint, saucy carbon fibre or mouthwateringly milled aluminium; the fold-away pillion pegs and retractable grab handle are exquisite, I could go on…

Value

£13,000 for the standard version is a lot of money in anyone’s book, with the carbon versions substantially more, but we think it’s still good value, especially compared to competition such as Yamaha’s (currently £22K) VMax and Harley’s 
£14K VRod Muscle. You get an awful lot of tech, quality and style from Ducati and, best of all, performance that simply blows away anything else in the class.

Other Versions

Diavel Carbon: £15,495
£2500 extra gets you carbon fibre body panels and mudguard in unpainted black plus a black nitride coating on the forks and forged Marchesini wheels with matching, machined disc carriers – all of which trims weight by 3kg (the wheels alone are 2.5kg lighter).

Diavel Carbon Red £15,895
As the Carbon but (as tested here) with red paintjob. Carbon models will be available first, but all models are expected to be in dealers before the end of the month.