California Vintage

mikie

Quick question to the Illuminati...  has anyone here had experience or know anything about removing the linked brake set up on these California's? I know they are not strictly a linked system. Hand lever operates right from disk and foot brake operates rear brake and left front. I am considering changing to a traditional set up...

cheers

I haven't actually done a conversion, but read a lot about it. My V35 Imola has the Integral Braking Sytem, so it interests me.

The collected wisdom seems to indicate that you may be able to use the existing hand lever /master cyclinder for both front disks, but will need a smaller master cylinder for the foot brake.

The same hand master cylinder for two disks should give you a system with more travel in the lever but less effort for the same braking force. Where it can go wrong is that there might not be enough travel in the master cylinder to pump enough fluid to operate both slave cylinders adequately.

If you were to use the existing foot master cylinder for only one disk instead of two, you would  have a system with very little travel at the lever which requires a very large effort to achieve adequate braking force. The solution, as indicated above, is to change to a smaller master cylinder here.

I'm sure there is someone here who can go into more detail about specific sizes of master cylinder / slave cylinder and so on.

Incidentally, the Imola still has the integral system. I like it. The only thing I am seriously thinking about changing is the master cylinder for the hand brake. A slightly smaller one would provide a system with more feel and more braking power for less effort, at the cost of more travel at the lever.

• Like 1

Thanks!

yes I was looking at ratios and thought a new master cylinder would be required for the front brakes. I am sure I can e use something from another model in the piaggio line up. The rear brake might be more tricky to sort out. I guess I should ride the bike for a few miles to see if I like it as is..

• Like 1

Like you said, ride it more. I thought about it on my 1000S, but l liked the way she was settling her rear.

Cheers Tom 

• Like 1

Looks good, I am also curious about the Solo Seat used? 

Joe 

14 minutes ago, Coppa53 said:

Looks good, I am also curious about the Solo Seat used? 

Joe 

Hi Joe, 

when I get the details I will post up here.

I see we both have perfect taste in motorcycles :D

• Haha 2

the previous owner said he got the seat and side panel from here. 

http://motoguzzi.fassoli.com

its not easy to figure out what you would need for the website, But if anyone is interested I will give more details when I have them in my hand. Bike is being shipped just now and I am away from home..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

any electrical experts here? I was checking through my new to me Calvin and found some issues..  indicators are not working but I will look into that separately. But someone has bypassed something. Maybe start relay?fuel pump?

brown wire is direct live from battery. The 2 red are cut from the fuse block. I am looking at the wiring diagram now to see what the fuse is for. 
also there is a black wire connector removed from a component there, see below the clear jointing block with the 2 red one brown wire..

Is the component tie wrapped to the frame normally there?

IMG_2024-02-24-223744.jpeg

IMG_2024-02-24-224454.jpeg

what’s this for?

thanks for any help

cheers

The thing tie-wrapped to the frame looks like a blinker relay to me, and the "what is this for" looks like it *might* be where the blinker relay was originally mounted. The "what is this for" looks like a rubber shock mount for something. Such things are often used to contain a blinker relay.

Sorry I can't help with the wiring questions. :huh2:

• Like 1

Thanks Mick,

that is a help. I have a friend with the same model so I will go and take some photos of his. The worry is what’s the reason for the changes? Guess I will be finding out..   :blink: