V11 Sport Registry?

Steve G.

Happened to notice that we all have our own little sub group-hug areas,,,,,,Scura, Tenni, Rosso Corsa, etc,,,,,. What about the original machine that spawned off all these sub-models???

Steve

Yeah I am with you. Feeling a bit left out here. Lets have a regsiter for the mothership ! They are as rare as hens teeth in this neck of the woods

The notion that someone views their V11 special and somehow more rare because Mother Guzzi chose to give it a different paint scheme and sometimes even a plaque with a number on it is lost on me. I don't get it. Guzzi's entire production is a fraction of what Honda would settle for with one model. They are ALL rare. The newer ones are slightly more common but it is hard to say if that is because they are making more of them of if it is attrition reducing the numbers of older models.

I run into people all the time who say they USED to own a Guzzi years ago, but I never see the Guzzi all these people used to own. My wife and I joke that it is one Guzzi with thousands of ex-owners. Where is that Guzzi now?

Sorry for the rant.

Whoa, hang on there GuzziMoto - you seem to be gittin' a little pissed off about having the normal

garden variety. And there ain't much wrong with that! I was about to buy one myself - until I came

across the Scura R.

My heart instantly fell for its looks but my head calculated how much adding Ohlin's might cost

somewhere down the road - and also, that it was the last of the V11's made which (it was rumoured)

had many of the previous hiccups wrinkled out - and also, Luigi or Franco etc., was taking a little

more care in assembling it under Aprilia's improved working practices...

And also, I'm a 'lil tart who just loves shiny black paint with a red-back spider stripe and a red

seat and gold shocks and only a handful were made and, and... any other excuse will do. :bbblll:

Whoa, hang on there GuzziMoto - you seem to be gittin' a little pissed off about having the normal

garden variety. And there ain't much wrong with that! I was about to buy one myself - until I came

across the Scura R.

My heart instantly fell for its looks but my head calculated how much adding Ohlin's might cost

somewhere down the road - and also, that it was the last of the V11's made which (it was rumoured)

had many of the previous hiccups wrinkled out - and also, Luigi or Franco etc., was taking a little

And also, I'm a 'lil tart who just loves shiny black paint with a red-back spider stripe and a red

seat and gold shocks and only a handful were made and, and... any other excuse will do. :bbblll:

No offense meant. and it was not specifically directed at anyone. I think your Scura R is just as cool as any other V11 sport. No, it does not have the better red frame (just kiddin') but it does (like many other "special" guzzis) have ohlins suspension which is definitely a good thing. Owning a bike, Guzzi or otherwise, that "speaks" to you is awesome. My wife has owned her '01 V11 since new and it is her pride and joy. I was just commenting on the irony of considering any Guzzi rarer then the rest. They are ALL hand built exotics that are rare where I live.

They are ALL rare, you do not have to subdivide them based on paint scheme and or suspension types to make it rare.

And as I said, where is this mysterious Guzzi that everyone says they used to own????

That something has different factory colour or a ltd edition plaque or an owners certificate - it's all just marketing. I love the looks of my Scura, but I don't get excited cos it's rarer than another type of V11.

It's arguable what may be regarded in future as the most desirable of the V11 series. What will be the LM1 to the LM11 or 111? Hard to be objective, but my guess is that the first series bikes & one of the Ohlins models may come to epitomise the line?

It's interesting to watch recent developments in values of earlier Tonti sports bigblocks. I'm surprised particularly how S3 value have gone thru the roof. Less surprised at big money being paid for LM1.

KB

across the Scura R.

While I understand the reasoning to buy a Scura [to avoid the early "niggly's] , I'm sure you are aware that the Scura, Tenni, and other series were issued [some say cursed] with the single plate clutch system, which, unlike the easy retrofit of upgraded relays on the 1st series V11's, the potentially destructive consequences of the underdesigned "single plater's" is something nobody should ignore.

Again, not defending the 1st series, but trumping Aprilia's improved working practices is a bit of a laugher! Ohlins suspension, ok, I'll give you that one, but I think the biggest improvement in handling from the factory was the extension of the wheelbase and angle of the headstock in early '02. And of course, the visual appearance of these things is always a personal thing, one man's "Suzuki Madura" is another man's " MV Agusta 850". I think my favourite looking Spine frame post 1100Sport Guzzi is the Rosso Corsa followed closely by the classic red framed green V11, then the Tenni, but in the interest of single clutch avoidance, it's got to be the Corsa.

Steve

...Strange, indeed. It's been the poorest of its kind...

I think it's just the way the market works: V7Sports become recognised classic, prices rocket, so buyers later to the market move on to next model along, hence S3 prices rocket...etc etc

KB :sun:

. . . I run into people all the time who say they USED to own a Guzzi years ago, but I never see the Guzzi all these people used to own. My wife and I joke that it is one Guzzi with thousands of ex-owners. . .

Now, that's funny!:D Now I know what to say to those guys: "Yeah, I used to own that bike, too!"

Otherwise, it would be unfortunate for much of the general discussion to fragment off into subforums since just about all the experience applies across the range of models.

Plus, you just can't have a subforum for the early bikes. Those RedFrame guys are like herding cats.B)

... so buyers later to the market move on to next model along, ...

If they had technical brains (or first hand experience) and not money only they'd go, in this case, for a LMII instead.

This said you cannot say what branch of the V11 family will be regarded as the most distinguished in 20 years or so. Personally I'd look for one that looks well when well aged, so to say. Not these luxury mares like the Tennis or Coppa Italias. Those had to be pristine then I guess. Not so a Scura or a maybe all its lifetime hard working Redframe :) "It's the dirty guys that make the women happy" they say.

hubert