Scary bike crash on the news

I just got this and thought I should share it. Can't even think how one could avoid it. I wouldn't be surprised if that moron was texting.

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/terrifying-motorcycle-crash-caught-on-camera/6euszy9?rel=msn&cpkey=c0cc4133-bd5e-4b47-a683-6fac8370ea56%7CCrash%7Cmsn%7C

Jeeezuz Christ! One lucky pal he is. And "thanks" to Susan Moore In Her 4x4 for the 'entertainment'..... NOT!

Søren

It's been an interesting deal here in Dallas...an unlicensed driver..without insurance...is left off with only tickets.

Now, to the rider...he made about 5 mistakes in five seconds. What the video DOESN'T show, but what was quoted in the Dallas Morning News was the rider noted that the driver that hit him wasn't paying attention and was "playing around and acting foolish"...yet, he not only passed the driver, but got in front of her. His second mistake was his lack of ability to brake properly...notice the tire smoke? Third was that he was set up in the middle of the lane leaving himself no escape route. Fourth was that he wasn't checking his mirrors or his blind spots for drivers not paying attention.

Yea, another driver hit him...but it's his responsibility.

Bullshit.... So I can hit you & it's your fault ?

Well theres the thing about being right and being "dead" right. When you're on a motorcycle its always on you to do everything you can to not get hit. People do stupid crap, drive distracted and generally dont pay attention to their surroundings. Its always your responsibility to spot these types of drivers and then avoid them at all cost. You all know that when you pass someone thats not driving right that you have to put space between you and them. If they hit you it may be their fault, but you're the one going to the hospital....or worse.

Well theres the thing about being right and being "dead" right. When you're on a motorcycle its always on you to do everything you can to not get hit. People do stupid crap, drive distracted and generally dont pay attention to their surroundings. Its always your responsibility to spot these types of drivers and then avoid them at all cost. You all know that when you pass someone thats not driving right that you have to put space between you and them. If they hit you it may be their fault, but you're the one going to the hospital....or worse.

I agree that as riders we should do all we can to prevent bad stuff from happening and we shouldn't rely on "being right" or on drivers. Maybe the Dallas rider could have avoided being rear ended (sure, the tire skid isn't good but I don't think that contributed to the hit). But I think that the problem is also that the law lets drivers who cause serious or fatal accidents get away with a slap on the wrist. If drivers like the one who rear ended that guy, for instance, knew that they were going to get jail and perhaps not be allowed to drive ever again if the send somebody to the hospital, they would be likely to pay more attention. Plus penalties for texting, talking, etc. Again, this isn't to say that riders should not try to do their best to avoid any risks.

The lucky one who stood up after being hit might (just might) have avoided that by not stopping in the center of the lane. And there's a video of a cop being rear ended to his death while waiting at a traffic light in bright daytime.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply...kinda forgot about the thread!

In a word..."YES", you can be hit and it can be your fault. As someone has noted, you can be right or you can be dead right. This rider was unskilled and made several mistakes that put him in the path of a driver that the rider himself knew was a danger.

No, legally he's not at fault. In the court of "riding and physics" he's absolutely at fault. Riding any other way gives you an "out". Ride and be 100% responsible for what happens to you and you'll be a better, safer rider.