Compatible Forks

Karl Von

My brother was sitting at a gas station in Miami when a crazed driver ran into his Rosso Mandello, while she was trying to get to a open pump. Is forks are bent. Does anyone know if any of the Aprilia froks can be swaped out with the V11 Sport forks. I thought I remember that some models shared the same front ends.

His front wheel for scared up, fender cracked, forks bend, clip-one bent and tank scratched !! She had insurance, be he is afraid they will total the bike, so he is trying to make a deal with them to keep the bike

Rosso.jpg

They will total the bike for liability reasons. There are two different Marzocchi fork designs. You will have to purchase Marzocchi forks or Ohlins forks and just about everything is exclusive to each system. Unless you can access this stuff used you are in for a big price tag on getting this thing running.

I've read about some guys using gsxr forks.try a search for old posts.Theres a guy on ebay guzzitech

that might be a good source for info.search ebay for the i believe they were gsxr750 forks.do a google search

you should be able to find some images on cafe bikes posted to get an idea of what others have done.

Sounds like your brother is OK ,since you didn't mention any injuries ,so that's the most important thing here.

That's a shame,Rossos are in my opinion the prettiest V11 out there. :thumbsup:

I had a front end crash many years ago on a VFR and decided to keep her and rebuild, but you always find something that needs fixing and/or replacing that you didn't see at first adding to the cost.May be a better option to keep and part out and try to find a mint one in the classifieds as they show up every few months on EBay,Cycle Trader,Craigslist,etc.

Never had an Ohlins till I bought the Scura,best suspenders Ive ever had.Think they'll slip in .Believe the fender is different,not sure about the wheel.If you go this way though you'll want to upgrade to rear to match the quality of the front,adding to the cost.

Michael

Well the adjuster is telling him the bike is worth 4200 dollars. I told him to tell the insurance company to go and buy him a replacement for 4200 then. He is in South FLA and we do not even have a guzzi dealer in the state. He took it to a Italian bike shop down there and they are doing the write up on it. KBB had the Rosso at 5300 and with the magni fairing, power commander and extra carbon that might push the value to 6500 which is more realistic. I am not sure of the extent of the damage yet.

I few years back I had a issue with my 62 Triumph. The adjusters book only went back to 78, so that was the value he used. A 78 Bonnie is listed at 3500 dollars or so back then. I told them they were out of their mind. That is like comparing the price of a 62 vette to a 78 vette. I now have Hagerty on all my old stuff, so there is no issue with that anymore. I just hope he can save the bike. He lives in TN and works here in FL. I told him to see if TN issues salvage titles on totaled bikes. If they do total it, he may be able to buy it back

Absolutely have the bike shop remove the tank and check to see if the spine is bent where the front engine mount frame attaches. If there is any bending, collapsing, twisting or folding evident, the bike frame is toast. It simply is not worth the cost or trouble to repair it at that point. BTDT. It was called "FrankenSport" after its rebuild and there is a long description on this forum somewhere dating from about 2004.

If they total it, keep all the undamaged Rosso plastic & any farkles to xfer to a replacement v11... :thumbsup:

I have an entire front end from a GSXR 1000 on my Daytona. It gives me better forks, brakes, and a lighter wheel. All I had to do to make them fit was different steering head bearings (from a DRZ400), rig up steering stops, and adapt the ignition switch and gauges. I replaced the gauges so that was no issue and I lost the steering lock for the Park setting on the key switch.

I would not let them total it. You are not to blame here so you should not let them dictate how things will go down. If they total it you might lose out on several fronts. Plus the bike does not deserve it.

If anyone actually does a front end conversion using modern spottbike forks and wheel please post the bearing numbers and a few pictures. I've been interested in putting a gsxr, cbr, ninja type setup on mine for awhile, but I didnt wanna be the first guy to try it :grin:

I have Aprilia mille front forks on my V11 and my old forks are available for sale I suppose. I get *much* better handling with the Ape front end. I use a Norge front wheel. It transformed the bike handling. Some mods were req'd - I had Moto I. do it.

Bob

A front end from a modern Aprilia might fit slightly easier, but I found it easy and cheaper to go with a GSXR 1000 front end. They are a dime a dozen, you can get the whole front end with a wheel and brakes for $600, and anybody and everybody makes parts for them. As I said, it only requires a set of steering head bearings for a DRZ400 (I could not find a set from a bearing supply house, in fact someone else who went that way ended up buying a set that was slightly oversize and turning them down. The DRZ400 set drops right in.) and minor mods to adapt the switch and gauges. I do not have pictures yet but maybe someday when I am done with the rest of the modifications.