Petcock replacement?

Gio

I have an '01, updated my tank to a 2002 model with the internal pump and filter. Getting rid of the electric petcock on the left side and dingleberry valve on the right side being a couple of the gained benefits. Also un-clutters the area around the spine, under the tank and between the cylinders.

That sounds like a great upgrade.  I didn't even know it was a possibility (guess I assumed the tank dimensions had changed along with the frame length).

What's involved in doing this swap?  Is there a topic on this?  I did some searching but couldn't find it if there is one.

Dan

I have an '01, updated my tank to a 2002 model with the internal pump and filter. Getting rid of the electric petcock on the left side and dingleberry valve on the right side being a couple of the gained benefits. Also un-clutters the area around the spine, under the tank and between the cylinders.

That sounds like a great upgrade.  I didn't even know it was a possibility (guess I assumed the tank dimensions had changed along with the frame length).

What's involved in doing this swap?  Is there a topic on this?  I did some searching but couldn't find it if there is one.

Dan

Yep here you go, the link below is the 'how to' of my retrofit of a 2003 tank:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459&hl=%222003+tank%22

I struggled with the tank suck and vapor lock on my 2002 for a long time and tried various remedies as documented in the FAQ below, and in the thread above:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=462

Ultimately I decided the proper fix was to acquire and retrofit a 2003+ tank with the interior pump, regulator and filter.

Al

Yes, sorry. New tank is from an '03. It's really very easy, only somewhat tricky thing was that the AMP style connectors (male/female) on the fuel pump are reversed on the later model version so I just put new connectors on the harness and pump. Fuel level sensor connectors are the same, and you gain the extra wires from the petcock.

One thing I recommend if you do it, is to have your replacement tank professionally epoxy lined. Heard too many horror stories about liners delaminating, or melting, so I had mine done by GTL Advantage in California. No more ethanol worries, either!

I also recommend getting some QD fuel fittings for the fuel lines. The stock ones that connect the lines to the tank seem to be begging to snap or break in some ghastly way. I got two sets of 5/16" Goodridge QDs (along with some high quality Racetronix FI hose) to make taking the tank on and off that much easier.

One thing I recommend if you do it, is to have your replacement tank professionally epoxy lined. Heard too many horror stories about liners delaminating, or melting, so I had mine done by GTL Advantage in California. No more ethanol worries, either!

Can you expand on the issue of tanks delaminating and "ethanol worries"?   

Thanks

Al

Ethanol gas bloats these plastic tanks, in some cases causes blistering which can lead to leaks, ruining the tank. It's a slow process, but my 01 tank is definitely bloated, I had to press it hard into place on the frame whenever I was putting it back on.

So I decided to pre-emptively line the 03 replacement tank myself with Caswell Plating tank liner which is supposed to be the best at-home solution. However, I searched this site and found a thread about someone trying and failing, despite following all the proper procedures and precautions.

Not wanting to take any chances I found a company in CA that specializes in tank restoration, including epoxy lining, and had them do it. Viola. No more ethanol bloat worries for this tank. I do still need to have it painted.

Not wanting to take any chances I found a company in CA that specializes in tank restoration, including epoxy lining, and had them do it. 

Do tell. Who is this company?