Petcock replacement?

Gio

I guess the electric Petcock on my '00 V11S took exception to the number of connect/disconnects during the recent vapour-lock expts and decided to liberate itself of the control wires (one snapped off just at the base of the solenoid assy and the other was hanging on by maybe one or two threads at best). Bad design.

:angry:

Anyone have a recommendation or part # on a manual replacement that would fit?

Gio

The part number for the petcock from a Sport 1100i is:

29105460. I think they're about $70.

I believe the electric one is rebuildable. Mine is apart on my bench right now. I pried loose the cap, chipped away the epoxy and the two coil terminals can be soldered to again. Just haven't done it. Now I'll feel compelled to to see if it works.

Thanks everyone,

I think the manual replacement is the way to go (should bolt right up) but MG is doing some kind of inventory thing at the moment - so unable to place an order until Dec 5...? Alternatively Pingel seem to make some nice stuff also...

Gio

What size pingel valve would work? adapter???

Dunno, but if you call there service is first rate. Just have the thread size available. I got a real nice one for m Duc Single prject.

I have not drained the tank yet but thread looks like 1/2 inch (12mm?). We also need approx 7/16 outlet for the tank/pump hose and their std size is 5/16 inch..?

The 6000 (universal) series is of interest to me as there is an outlet option facing down (the new route for this hose is under the airbox) but there are also other options.

Gio

Good luck on the Pingel.... Guzzi uses a reverse metric fine thread on the fittings for the tanks, and when I was trying to get an adapter for the pressure-regulator side, no one could get a tap or fitting that would match up.

It's completely non-standard. Surprise Surprise ;)

The Guzzi manual petcock is just fine though, and seems well-made. It also has a large inlet screen area, and huge outlet. So I think it flows a reasonable amount of fuel.

al

Gio,

And I am still anxious to know how much of the "" vapor lock "" may have been intermittent electrical failure of the petcock?

Keep us posted . . .

Maybe, but based on his thermal measurements, and his description of the scenario/environment of the "vapor lock" failure, I doubt it was much if ever.

AFAIK, he reported the vapor-lock only during the typical "vapor lock" ride, park, heat-soak cycle... not intermittently... say during a ride, under top vibration conditions, which would be indicative of an intermittent electrical cut-off of the pet-cock :huh2:

?

al

Maybe it's proper to ask: was the ""vapor lock"" solved prior to the petcock failure?

If 'no' then it will be interesting to see how the bike runs with a new petcock . . .

Stay tuned. . . .

Docc,

Yes - the vapour-lock problem was solved prior to the petcock issue. The petcock was actually leaking whilst off the bike and it was during closer inspection that the wires came off.

Al,

Good point re the petcock thread. I guess it would need to be a whole new assy from Pingel or other source if not of Italian/metric manufacture.

Does anyone know how the outlet from the manual version compares to the electric (I think it is a 90 degree outlet rather than 45 degree down) position wise? This could be an issue (for me) with the new hose route...

Gio