V11 basic questions

rbt1548

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a V11 Le mans soon, I have looked in Faq's and need some more info before I do, so any help would be appreciated.

I realise it has a plastic tank but how robust would it be in the event of the bike sliding down the road or being involved in a collision?

I noticed a few comments regarding tanks stretching, how big a problem is it, and is there a prevention/remedy?

I am fairly capable with spanners, (and occasionally a large hammer), having restored a number of bikes over the years, inc. my present Commando and Clubman, but it's all the electronic gubbins that tend to frustrate, (terrify!!!!), me, ecu's, TPS etc., are they fairly straightforward to deal with?

Is there anything that I should pay particular attention to when going look at a prospective purchase?

Thanks in anticiption!

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a V11 Le mans soon, I have looked in Faq's and need some more info before I do, so any help would be appreciated.

I realise it has a plastic tank but how robust would it be in the event of the bike sliding down the road or being involved in a collision?

I noticed a few comments regarding tanks stretching, how big a problem is it, and is there a prevention/remedy?

I am fairly capable with spanners, (and occasionally a large hammer), having restored a number of bikes over the years, inc. my present Commando and Clubman, but it's all the electronic gubbins that tend to frustrate, (terrify!!!!), me, ecu's, TPS etc., are they fairly straightforward to deal with?

Is there anything that I should pay particular attention to when going look at a prospective purchase?

Thanks in anticiption!

The "plastic tank in a crash" question does not have an answer.

These tanks kave been known to do things they are not supposed to do. That can be fixed with an aluminum fuel tank.

You own(ed) British bikes.......... My experience with them "Ride it no farther than you can push it back". The Guzzi is "different" and hopefully so are you.

As far as buying a used bike, go into the purchase full of questions and expect good honest answers. The good seller willknow if you are asking knowledgeable questions too. He will probably be a member of this forum. This is a PLUS...

Good luck.

... but it's all the electronic gubbins that tend to frustrate, (terrify!!!!), me, ecu's, TPS etc.,

You can leave the mentioned parts alone. No need to recalibrate the tps every now and then, in fact it needs it never. ECU is locked anyway, you'd have to spent good money if you wanted to change this.

The rest is bad contacts or bad connectors, quite common things for motorcycles

Hubert

ecu's, TPS etc., are they fairly straightforward to deal with?

yes, if a doofus like me can bring it to near perfect tune w/ a little software and the web for knowledge you'll wonder why you didn't buy one years ago..

I went through this same process back in 2005 when I first joined this forum and had just lost my aprilia SL mille to a get off. The LeMans Rosso Corsa had always been my favorite when I first saw it back in 2003 in a shop in Orange Co California. At the time I couldn't justify the purchase of a new bike ($14K). I ended up with the used aprilia, but the LeMans stuck around in my head. When I was seriously looking for a replacement I joined this forum and read horror stories from some of the owners about clutches blowing up on the Scuras, paint peeling on the engine cases on the 2001-02 models, and various electrical gremlins. But all in all, most owners were very satisfied with their purchases. The general consensus was that the 2003 and forward LeMans were the best sorted and had the fewest issues, so when I saw a really plum Rosso Corsa on ebay, not too far from where I was working at the time, I decided to buy it. I could not have been more pleased with that bike. Most of the owners on here are enthusiasts and if they do decide to sell, you can rest assured they will have their bikes well sorted and reliable.

...Is there anything...

Hi Robert,

Plastic tanks are pretty robust, but a collision can damage anything - plastic or metal: to my mind, it's not an issue. I never had a roadbike with a plastic tank before, but aside from you can't use magnetic tank bags, I never really notice it. Tank distortion relates, I believe, to ethanol-rich fuels & is a problem in the States. I understand there are moves to bring more ethanol into fuel here. I don't know much about this issue but to date have had no problems on UK fuel. That said I'd rather have a metal tank, but don't let a plastic tank put you off a great motorcycle!

Like you I'm oldschool with technology - I fix most anything on my old pre-EFI/ECU/Sensor-laden bikes, but those bits frighten me. I took V11 to a man who set EFI up for me & I haven't had to touch it since. However it seems it's pretty straight forward & there appear to be plentry of ludites like us who can manage basic set-up of the EFI if they put their minds to it.

From what you say, I think you'd like the V11 & the issues you mention shouldn't deflect you from a lovely rider's motorcycle.

As Orangokie says, the 2003> models have a reputation for being slightly better sorted generally than earlier ones. Major differences: Gearbox recall work on some pre-2002 bikes, more relaxed geometry/extra bracing on post-2002 models, Ohlins (lovely things but some experience seals wearing very quick) & single-plate (occasionally problematic) clutches on various models, in-tank fuel pump on later bikes. There's a load of specs for different models in FAQ's, I think - or somewhere round here - just look around.

I have a Scura which I still think is the nicest looking of all the V11's. If I was going to get another - & I wouldn't mind! - I'd look for a well cared for, enthusiast-owned post-2003 Ohlins model.

Good luck,

KB :sun:

Aluminium tanks were mentioned as a replacement for the plastic one. I know a couple of people owning alu tanks, on Guzzis, SR500s, vintage bikes. All sooner or later had to face them leaking. Or I've seen them crying because a screwdriver fell right on the most bling part of its surface.

I wouldn't worry about this plastic thing. The tanks are certified. I think they have to withstand a free fall test from 10m height or so. Nevertheless I miss the steel tank of the LMIII - fixing the tank bag was so much easier.

Hubert

Thanks guys for your informed answers, it's certainly given me food for thought, yes, I do like fairly straightforward motorcycles that don't require a degree in space technology to do any necessary work on.

As for, "Ride it no further than you can push it back" with regards to my Norton and BSA, I must be pretty strong as I tend to ride them fair distances, it depends how they are set up, even a Rolls Royce not set up properly won't get you very far!

Thanks once again guys

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, still looking around for a V11,was looking on here and noticed a fair few q&a's regarding the Power Commander, can someone please explain in simple terms, what it actually does, and is it advantageous to fit one?

thanks

The PowerCommander is in series with the factory ecm. It alows you to adjust everything going through the computers factory settings for your altitude, desires, etc... The only way to go.

BTW, you had better enjoy fiddling with motorcycles because the bike is almost correct and you will spend your time trying to get there.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, well I bought one and it finally arrived, but due to the weather at the moment and the fact that the kitchen is being redone, I haven't got out on it,(how much stuff can be in one kitchen???).

Mostly pleased with it, a couple of bits here and there that need a bit of TLC, but I'll get there.

It's a 2007 registered Le Mans, going by the frame number it was manufactured in 2004, so it must have sat in a crate somewhere before being registered, 6,500 miles on clock.

At the moment it's bog standard, once I start riding it I can then decide what needs doing or adding to.

Cheers

Robert

lem1-1.jpg

Very shiny and red - the best colour :thumbsup: . The only thing you probably can't do yourself is setting up the fuel injection - Mel Robinson in Glasgow is renowned for his skill with guzzi electronics. If you go to a Guzzi club Scottish branch camping weekend you'll probably see a Ballabio, Cafe Sport and two Rosso Corsa's. First thing you'll do is find somewhere in the garage for those standard cans...................

Very shiny and red - the best colour :thumbsup: . The only thing you probably can't do yourself is setting up the fuel injection - Mel Robinson in Glasgow is renowned for his skill with guzzi electronics. If you go to a Guzzi club Scottish branch camping weekend you'll probably see a Ballabio, Cafe Sport and two Rosso Corsa's. First thing you'll do is find somewhere in the garage for those standard cans...................

I thought you preferred to go to a little shop in Italy to get your FI sorted :bike: