Need quick advice on relays

GraeV11

I have some excellent riding planned this weekend with the lads around the malvern hills and wales but have just hit a problem I need advice on. My bike started fine this evening but when I got it home and parked it up I tried to start it again to move it into the usual parking position, hit the starter button and zilch. Fiddled around with the usual suspects and then swapped around the first two relays in the block (from nearest the tank) and hey presto back in business again. My only chance to get to the spares shop before the weekend is tomorrow morning (UK). Question is which relay slot should I install the dud in just to get me there ? I do not really 'get' electrics beyond the basics so forgive my question. I promise to study the subject harder (any suggestions for a good primer ?). As ever the advice of you good folk is truly appreciated.

I have some excellent riding planned this weekend with the lads around the malvern hills and wales but have just hit a problem I need advice on. My bike started fine this evening but when I got it home and parked it up I tried to start it again to move it into the usual parking position, hit the starter button and zilch. Fiddled around with the usual suspects and then swapped around the first two relays in the block (from nearest the tank) and hey presto back in business again. My only chance to get to the spares shop before the weekend is tomorrow morning (UK). Question is which relay slot should I install the dud in just to get me there ? I do not really 'get' electrics beyond the basics so forgive my question. I promise to study the subject harder (any suggestions for a good primer ?). As ever the advice of you good folk is truly appreciated.

Front to back: START, LIGHTS, NEUTRAL, ECU, EFI

Front to back: START, LIGHTS, NEUTRAL, ECU, EFI

Thanks.

Time for a rant. Relay from UK Guzzi dealer - £16 and "wont get here for a few weeks . . they come from Germany". Relay direct from Germany - £6 and "will be with you in 5 working days. WTF. Can I find one anywhere in the UK today ? not on your nelly. Bang goes my weekend ride. Bah !

Sometimes I wonder whether I should just have assembled my V11 entirely from spares rather than buy the bike in the first place. Feels like that is what I am gradually doing anyhow.

You guys could lift my black mood if you can name a UK car that uses the same relay. I can then drop by my local breakers.

Cheers

Relays. Electrics are witchcraft to me as well. Take a look at the picture I have attached for your reference. I had similar probs. Relays 1&4 are 5 blade. The rest are 4 blade. But don't worry about that. Just carry at least one spare 5 blade relay with your toolkit, it'll fit into any of the sockets.

My experience is that they do sometimes blow and its not always the base contacts that cause this.

Get any relay such as Hella #3064 (4 blade) or whatever is its equivalent 5 blade brother. OR a Bosch or anything that you can find from any old auto electrician. In my view it doesn't matter what brand, as long as it goes. At least you have a spare.

If you ever have any electrical problems suspect the relays first. Now you are a V11 electrical expert like me!

MGV11 Relays.jpg

The relais are fine. The contacts at the socket are weak. Swapping the relais often improves the contact enough for for the relais to work another season. Go riding this weekend.

Hubert

Tried everything and the swine refuses to work. Now here is an idea; If I start the engine using one of the other good relays, can I then pull it out and swap the bad one back in - will the engine keep running or would I have killed it (or me) ?? I was going to try it last night but didn't fancy a bolt of electricity up my arm. As already mentioned, I am a little thick when it comes to electrics so be gentle in your response. 'Go ahead and try it' has got me in trouble and pain before !

Relays. Electrics are witchcraft to me as well. Take a look at the picture I have attached for your reference. I had similar probs. Relays 1&4 are 5 blade. The rest are 4 blade. But don't worry about that. Just carry at least one spare 5 blade relay with your toolkit, it'll fit into any of the sockets.

My experience is that they do sometimes blow and its not always the base contacts that cause this.

Get any relay such as Hella #3064 (4 blade) or whatever is its equivalent 5 blade brother. OR a Bosch or anything that you can find from any old auto electrician. In my view it doesn't matter what brand, as long as it goes. At least you have a spare.

If you ever have any electrical problems suspect the relays first. Now you are a V11 electrical expert like me!

Great photo :thumbsup: I have ordered a new one plus a spare. I am learning quickly !

New relays in and wot?

Good to go?

Yes, new relays, starts first time, runs perfect. I am back in the game !

I received Bosch relays from Stein Dinse. I would recommend Stein Dinse, they are super efficient and have lots of nice stuff on their website. In fact it always costs me a fortune buying from them as I cant resist the bling. Have a nice gold rear brakeline protector as well now !

The relays are very common and very generic. I replaced all of mine with Bosh relays I got from an electronic supply store for 1.99$ each.

I bought 2 extras that I keep under the seat.

Use Dielectric silicone grease on the pins.

I can only find them on-line. All our electronics stores have gone bust in this neck of the woods !

Use Dielectric silicone grease on the pins.

I have *finally* cleaned all the Dielectric grease out of all the places on the Strada that the previous owner thought it was a good idea to put it. Dielectric means "won't conduct electricity." If I never see any of it again, that'll be just right. :thumbsup:

It has put me on the side of the road with this bike several times.. Just sayin. :oldgit:

No ! You're kidding........

I use a Ford / Motorcraft XG-12 . It is used to aid in the sealing and protecting contact points. There also is a product called Stabilant 22. It will aid in contact points of electrical connections.

This is a definition for the word dielectric...........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Make sure you want dielectric grease where it is supposed to be....

• 3 months later...

No ! You're kidding........

I use a Ford / Motorcraft XG-12 . It is used to aid in the sealing and protecting contact points. There also is a product called Stabilant 22. It will aid in contact points of electrical connections.

This is a definition for the word dielectric...........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric

Make sure you want dielectric grease where it is supposed to be....

i have a 2002 Le Mans. I have had trouble with idle, starting after a medium / long ride for a couple of years now, and the other evening it began running on one cylinder, then died all together at home that night. Flat tow to Tom Newells (Brisbane) to be advised the relays were U/S. I had swapped them around the previous night, but the trick is, ECU and Fuel Pump relays are in series, so if one is not working then none of them are working, obviously I was not jagging the right swapping combinations.

On Tom's advice, I replaced them the next morning with after market units, but will be using his recommended General Motors (Holden) sealed units when they open after New Year. Also note Bosch part number on other blogs - 0 332 207 307.

It starts first time now and have not had any embarrassing non start moments of the past, usually in front of a coffee shop full of Jappers and Harley ridersblush.gif

I am replacing the alternator regulator rectifier this week as well, I don't want to take that chance on the side of the road. xmas.gif

On the advice of members from Moto Guzzi GB owners club i ordered new relays from Pyro Dan in the states.

http://www.dpguzzi.com/

Quality of product and service, price and speed of delivery were superb. Bear in mind i live in England!

I got my first set when my 99 Cali EV did exactly the same to me 350 miles from home. Replaced the relays and it's been great since.

I am ordering a full set from him for my 2004 V11 Le mans as a matter of course.

Regards Darryl