tire installation

stefano

i'm taking my wheels in tomorrow morning to have new tires installed. nearest guzzi dealer is 85 mi. away, so it'll be the other/closer dealer.

anything i should know/tell them/bring with me when i leave them? they assure me its no problemo......

thanks, stef

Just warn them that the finish on the wheels is soft, so be extra careful not to scratch them. Don't use levers on the exterior of the rim.

If you haven't done it, now would be a good time to grease up the rubbers in the cush drive.

And the splines, of course, when you remount the wheels.

Oh, and check the bearings- there were some reports of water intrusion on one side (can't remember which one).

J

i'm taking my wheels in tomorrow morning to have new tires installed. nearest guzzi dealer is 85 mi. away, so it'll be the other/closer dealer.

anything i should know/tell them/bring with me when i leave them? they assure me its no problemo......

thanks, stef

It's a good idea to bleed the clutch too since it's easy to reach the bleeder with the wheel out of the way.

Just warn them that the finish on the wheels is soft, so be extra careful not to scratch them. Don't use levers on the exterior of the rim.

If you haven't done it, now would be a good time to grease up the rubbers in the cush drive.

And the splines, of course, when you remount the wheels.

Oh, and check the bearings- there were some reports of water intrusion on one side (can't remember which one).

J

thanks, stef

Since I'm having to deal with this problem (now waiting for a new valve stem): I strongly encourage you to check the valve stem for any leaks. Use some soapy water and spray around the valve stem while the tire is on and has pressure. That's how I found out my valve stem was leaking right above the nut on the outside. It may just need to be tightened, but for that the tire should be removed again. Or it may be that the gasket has aged and doesn't seal perfectly anymore. Anyway, easy to do, probably neglected most of the time. Don't count on the shop to do that for you.

Buddy, Shops change tires and that's it. If they do ( and or smart enough to) more, you need to go back to THEM. If you can watch the service being performed , you can get an idea of the caliber of person on the other end of the wrench.

Buddy, Shops change tires and that's it. If they do ( and or smart enough to) more, you need to go back to THEM. If you can watch the service being performed , you can get an idea of the caliber of person on the other end of the wrench.

Yes, that's the reality. I know most of them if not all don't even like any tire business, and that's why I always buy tires from the same shop that installs them (unless I mount them myself, which I do on the other bike). But one would think if there's such a small detail to check such as the valve, they would do it routinely. In fact they asked me if I needed the valve stem changed, but when they saw it was metal not rubber they said it didn't need changed.

thx to all for the hints on wheels R&I.

the yam/kaw/honda shop was very competitive on price of tires(pirelli angels)& mounted/balanced without scratching/damageing anything, i'll go back to them again.

i've never had a shop mount my M/C tires before, the wheels aren't scratched & i'm not bleeding.

the wheel bearings & u-joints were in good shape.

i greased the driveline,all 3 fittings, the front zerk is kind of PIA. and the needle bearing in the final.

while the driveline was apart, i aligned the punch marks/paint lines. they had been installed 90deg off by someone (which still allowed the u-joint crosses to be in alignment) but it looked kinda wierd.

new tires are sure great.

cheers, stef