Source for replacement Speedo

Craig

Riding in to work this morning, I noticed the ODO and Trip meter both failed on my 04 Ballabio (9200miles). Speedo works fine. Searches indicate I have stripped plastic gears in the speedo. I couldn't find any mention of a repair, it looks like I have to replace. Where is a good source for parts in the US? I looked at mgcycle.com but they didn't list the part.

Palo Alto Speedometer Service in Ca. is who you should check with. They do perfect work. Not cheap but you will be satisfied. They also have a chart on their website to ( in case you think yours is off) have them calibrate your speedo/odometer also.

Palo Alto Speedometer Service in Ca. is who you should check with. They do perfect work. Not cheap but you will be satisfied. They also have a chart on their website to ( in case you think yours is off) have them calibrate your speedo/odometer also.

Perfect, thanks. I am always willing to pay for good work. Especially when I can't do it myself, which appears to be the case since I can't find internal parts listed for this device.

or go to a bike store and get a sigma speedo, you can calibrate exactly to your tire size and have a perfect reading of MPH.. not some Italian idea of speed.. most of them have a trip meter and odometer for holding real mileage log/.. some you can set that to what is actual on your bike.. don't get the wireless because all that spinning stuff can create radio interference.. and don't get the cheap Bell from Wall Mart because it can't keep up over about 50 mph.. the good ones can clock into the triple digits. bonus! they have a clock, average speed calculation, trip time, top speed etc...

I hardly had to think, much less write down any thing and had it all there at the end of the trip..see end of video for stats..

Did you talk them into working on yours? They told me they wouldn't touch our Veglia knockoffs due to multiple problems getting them right. They did a great job on my slash 5 speedo, though. They did refer me to a guy I think the name was North Hollywood Speedo who said "I dunno, send it in and we'll take a look". Haven't gotten round to that yet.

AT almost 80,000 miles, I'm on my third Veglia. The first under warranty when it started wagging at highway speed and the second when the trip odometer locked up. $298.53 (USD) shipped from MI in Seattle in July, 2010.

With the Garmin ZUMO in the mount, I'm not sure I would repair another Veglia. The GPS shows speed, odometer, fuel tank range and is lighted. It has "dashboard" functions that would entirely supplement the original speedometer.

Of course, there are always these solutions:

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

Did you talk them into working on yours? They told me they wouldn't touch our Veglia knockoffs due to multiple problems getting them right. They did a great job on my slash 5 speedo, though. They did refer me to a guy I think the name was North Hollywood Speedo who said "I dunno, send it in and we'll take a look". Haven't gotten round to that yet.

Just heard back from them that they can't get repair parts. I am looking at doing a real gauge replacement with an Autometer or VDO.

Someone should try stuffing the faceplate of a Veglia into a gauge that doesn't suck. Or, since it's a little tough finding something in 80mm vice the (at least in the U.S.) more common 3 inch diameter, maybe you could stuff the guts into the Veglia body as well. Any of that only makes sense if you care about keeping the look of the stock gauges.

• 1 month later...