Rear Shop Stand for V11 Sport

Lawrence

I am a new owner of a 2000 V11 Sport and am looking for a rear shop stand. In searching a few forums I came across a version specifically for the V11 but I can not find this item currently available.

Anyone know of a stand for this bike?

Thanks,

Lawrence

I am a new owner of a 2000 V11 Sport and am looking for a rear shop stand. In searching a few forums I came across a version specifically for the V11 but I can not find this item currently available.

Thanks,

Lawrence

If you don't want to spend all the money right now (for the MG), I use the Harbor Freight swing arm stand and think it is a decent value for the $37.00 price. The black vinyl-dipped protective covering will not last on the lifters. What will last is wrapping them in self-fusing silicon tape. Which is a product that is very useful for a variety of applications.

Dimples

Thanks,

Lawrence

MGCycle

Bob

+1 on this stand. It's expensive, but you will use it often. After a few times, it's possible to get the bike up and down without help. It also comes with a post for under the oil pan which will let you get both wheels off the ground. Great for tire changes, etc.

MG Cycle is also very good for parts. Most of my orders have arrived within 3 days (to Michigan).

I like my factory stand, but:

1) with my preload setting on the rear (cranked up, I suppose), the tire doesn't clear without chocking the stand's handle up with a block of wood.

2) The sump spindle is nifty, but the stand has rollers and my Sport managed to move forward (wheels off) and tip the spindle. The forks landed neatly on the concrete floor, but the Sport frowned. I now always use a floor jack under the sump. Much more stable and easily height adjustable.

I hate it when she frowns at me like that . . .:unsure:

Docc, could you tack-weld a lager plate to the bottom of the spindle to keep it from falling over?

Sure, that could work, but adjusting the angle of support is still better with the floor jack. And the support under the sump is broader.

I'd like to find the highest and best use for the nice little red spindle. It's even too unstable to prop an ale.:drink:

I never had a problem using the stand (including the sump spindle), except for one detail that others here have noticed as well: the span between the arms with notches that are supposed to hold the bolts on the bike is slightly bigger so the bolt heads aren't resting completely in the notches. Just be careful when you set it up. I remember some folks fixed this issue by pressing the arms together a little.

The newer stands and sump spindles are black. Too bad - the red was cool. Oddly the *wheels* are now the only red part. Instructions in Italian, priceless.

Getting the bike up on the stand takes some practice, but the money saved in oil changes and tire changes (cheaper at any shop if you deliver the wheel w/tire and do not make them take wheels off and re-mount) makes the purchase worth it over time.

Bob

I took my bike to a local race stand fabricator. He ran a measuring tape over it and made a stand based on the OEM item but with removable lever arm and, the whole thing is able to fold flat for storage. Not overly cheap but it does what it says on the tin every time - very solid.