What do you ride that for?

Hey All,

At a tea stop yesterday a triumph rider looked at my V11 then at me then at my V11...and so on and eventually said, 'what do you ride that for?'

'Fun' was my one word answer...what would yours be? His tone suggested he didn't think much of my beloved burgunday '03 naked sport

Pete

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have to agree with "fun" Pete. I believe it's a case of if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand. :rolleyes:

I've never yet got off my V11 without a huge grin :wub: , especially when I've just shown a clean pair of heels to a "sportsbike" rider on the twisties :race: . Comments are always in the vein of, "that looks really nice, but aren't they noisy/slow/don't handle". Ultimately, it doesn't do "fast", but does do very quick from a to b on twisties.

Hey All,

At a tea stop yesterday a triumph rider looked at my V11 then at me then at my V11...and so on and eventually said, 'what do you ride that for?'

'Fun' was my one word answer...what would yours be? His tone suggested he didn't think much of my beloved burgunday '03 naked sport

Pete

You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. (Naguib Mahfouz).

Once stopped at a fiberglass Cobra replica get-together on my old SP. One of the replica owners asked "why didn't you buy a Harley?"...I asked him why he hadn't bought a Corvette. Ubbada-ubbda. :mg: k

One of my favorite remarks about the Sport was from a fellow who got back out of his family's car at a coffee shop (sorry, but no tea houses on this side ;)) saying, "Is that Italian? That's a work of art!"

Another, outside a Harley dealer (I think I was there to get a TPS), a lady going in asked, "What's that?" In my best Italian, I answered, "Eetsa Mot'-a Guzz'-a " The Asian-looking sales lady kinda repeated it mockingly, but I know it gave a little tingle.:sun:

His tone suggested he didn't think much of my beloved burgunday '03 naked sport

Pete

These people are everywhere, ride something out of the norm and be prepared to get questioned. Last year I took my 1965 BSA A65 Lightning Clubman out for a run and stopped in town, it started to get a bit wet and I decided to head home as I had no wet riding gear with me, I was just getting back on when I was approached by two guys who said my bike looked nice but should it not have 'Ace' bars, should the rear brake system linkages not just be steel and not made from stainless steel, and my pinstriping was slightly out on one side of the tank. I told them it was MY bike and I'll do what I want with it, I then proceeded to tell them that I had probably committed heresy by taking out all the electric gubbins, points regulator etc., and replacing them with modern electronic wizardry, including relays and fuses.

"But it's not the way it was built and that's changing the whole character of the bike" came the reply, to which I just looked at them and said, " well the 'character' is now easier to work on and is now more reliable than it ever was before, anyway where's your bike seeing you are so knowledgable?".

The reply............ "I don't actually have one just now and if I did I certainly wouldn't have it out in the rain". The last bit just summed him up, an arse of the highest order! :moon:

Here's a before and after picture of the offending bike:

bsaa65-1.jpg

y1965LIGHTNINGCLUBMAN.jpg

:grin: I have no doubt your product knowledge is vastly superior to mine tho I'm not entirely convinced you are right in this matter...

KB :sun:

Who knows, you may be right!, the colleague I got it from, who had it from three months old, said it had been fitted with an over headlight plate rather than the blade plate, like so many cafe' type bikes in the sixties, when he got it, and when the law was changed in 1975 to allow bikes to do away with their front plates he took it off.

It would be similar to the one below.

Anyway, doesn't really matter, 'cos it's not lying somewhere rotting and it's fun to ride.

Cheers.

enfield.jpg