Changing the Scura Clutch.Options for replacments.

mznyc

I'll be starting a "How To" about pulling the motor and clutch with pictures, as I couldn't find one and I think it would help anyone in the future who wants to tackle this job.

That will be good. Please do put a pictorial record of the job on here. Good luck with it.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, I'm new on here, been watching for a while and have just bought a Scura. Spoke to Belfast a couple of times. Nice helpfull fella.

Now I'm scared. I have been applying a thick coating of luuurv to my new toy as its been 'square wheeled' for about 3yrs (rode 100 miles home with 10psi in the front and oil pi$$ing all over me from the breather pipe) and was reassured, don't worry the clutch was replaced after grenading with a (proud sounding) single plate RAM. Now I have read this!! I was distressed enough with it sounding like a galloping horse on a tin roof at idle in neutral but have heard Ducrapi clutches sound not much better. How worried should I be? have many RAM replacements gone bang?

Mo :homer:

Hi all, I'm new on here, been watching for a while and have just bought a Scura. Spoke to Belfast a couple of times. Nice helpfull fella.

Now I'm scared. I have been applying a thick coating of luuurv to my new toy as its been 'square wheeled' for about 3yrs (rode 100 miles home with 10psi in the front and oil pi$$ing all over me from the breather pipe) and was reassured, don't worry the clutch was replaced after grenading with a (proud sounding) single plate RAM. Now I have read this!! I was distressed enough with it sounding like a galloping horse on a tin roof at idle in neutral but have heard Ducrapi clutches sound not much better. How worried should I be? have many RAM replacements gone bang?

Mo I wouldn't be too worried.I haven't heard of any replacement RAM's blowin up.The main problems are that the flywheels of the original OEM RAM had a handful of ones let go.The other problem is that they wear quicker than the twin plates as they were designed for racing where the motor was torn down regularly,hardly convenient for a street bike.If it's running ok I wouldnt run out and change it right away,others may disagree.Im changing mine because shifting has become a game of chance and the added piece of mind of the reliable twin plate is a huge plus.

Maybe start doing research about doin the swap,scan ebay and the Guzzi recyclers for parts so when your ready to do the change you'll have all parts and info needed to do it.

I'm just starting to get back into mine as I was waiting on a part for three months.Motor should be back in next week so I'll be posting up when I have updates.

Id be more worried about riding on 10 psi in a front tire! :o

Hi Mo and welcome. I would be more worried about acquiring a new (to you) v11 and not posting any pictures :oldgit: . You have no doubt learnt a lot from speaking to BFG as he has been unlucky enough to have had every known problem and more with his Guzzi's. If it were the original clutch I would be worried and change it asap due to the inevitable failure. I've not heard of replacement RAM clutches being as unreliable but if planning on keeping the bike for a long time clocking up lots of miles I would be on the lookout for a twin plate setup. Its all down to personal choice and how much you worry.

....How worried should I be? have many RAM replacements gone bang?...

Hi Mo-biker.

Hope you enjoy the Scura.

What # is it? Possibly it's known on this board?

I have replaced my OEM Scura clutch with a RAM.

I also have one in my Tonti 950 (for many years ...but not many miles).

I have never heard of a RAM clutch breaking in the way we have seen w the OEM ones.

The OEM clutch uses some RAM components but it is not the same as aftermarket RAM unit.

My guess is that MG started with a complete RAM clutch, but for whatever reason (some accountant figured they could save a few Lira?) decided they could do better sourcing parts of it elsewhere, inc (I believe)the flywheel, which is the component that has been failing. The flywheel in a RAM aftermarket clutch is different to OEM Scura.

The RAM clutch works v well but it is not as robust as the twin plate & can slip earlier when abused. Supplier suggested sitting at lights in gear with engine running & clutch lever in is not good. I don't do many miles nowadays so I don't know longevity in normal use. I guess plate will wear more quickly than in twin plate, but other components should not be a problem. Another consideration might be pos negative effect on longevity of rest of drive-train components using light flywheel, but I figure that can be mitigated by sensible use.

Does yours work well, with no slip, judder, leaks etc?

They all rattle.

KB :sun:

Edit: I replaced my clutch at 19k miles cos of the evidence I'd seen of breakages. I did it for peace of mind & do not regret it. However, the OEM clutch was working well, showed no problems & when I examined it, although the plate had obvious wear, everything else looked in perfect order. I could find no cracks or damage to the flywheel. (My checks were limited to a visual inspection, hanging it up & tapping it, & using a magnetic crack detector spray - it's possible more thorough checks might reveal something, I don't know). I don't know the cause of the failures we have seen, but I am not convinced that failure of OEM units is "inevitable".

Hi Mo-biker.

Hope you enjoy the Scura.

What # is it? Possibly it's known on this board?

You know it well.

It's the Kerryman's.

................rolleyes.gif........

I reckon it's a good buy. duim.gif

Plenty of new parts, including complete engine and replacement clutch.

Sure what could go wrong?

whistle.gif

Do you not remember? You must be getting old (elderly).

Didn't the top end disintegrate... Whether through lack of oil or whatever.

Luckily it was towards the end of the period when factory engine stock was being sold off and I was able to point to one (in Germany?). Those factory fresh motors were about half the price that you see breakers looking for used ones now!

He was last seen (by me, heading southwards) on a BMW.

I'm sure he's still lurking here from time to time.

...Those factory fresh motors were about half the price that you see breakers looking for used ones now!

He was last seen (by me, heading southwards) on a BMW.

I'm sure he's still lurking here from time to time.

Should have taken a couple as spares...

Hi John! hope you're well.

BFG - shouldn't you be in the other room?

John is in great form, has a K75 which he is happy with. I think with the problems he had with the scura maybe he lost faith in using it. Why wouldn't he!! Also he has diverted his energies into building a most beautifull eco house. VERY impressed I was.

With regard to the Scura, I have allways had mechanical sympathy for everything I own ( I have no friends so nobody will rescue me :( ) The gearchange is as light as a feather, the best I have felt on any bike believe it or not. The clutch is slightly grabby but that might be me. One thing I have noticed when on a 'neutral'throttle, you know like rolling through bends when you are neither on nor off the power it tends to be very...lurchy? like a broken neon light is in charge of the throttle. is that normal? I am currently giving it a full nose to tail so that might improve things.

Incuded was a palm pilot thingy. I think I might be able to do things to the fueling with it, tho that would be a first for me and I would be very nervous of messing in that department.

JWith regard to the Scura, I have allways had mechanical sympathy for everything I own

Yeah, I carry a hammer too.

The gearchange is as light as a feather

The linkage must be disconnected. There is a nut underneath that often falls off.

The clutch is slightly grabby but that might be me.

You've still got your clutch? It's holding on for dear life, I would say.

The clutch is sharper on the Scuras. I liked the way it operated.

John had the VDST, VSTD, STD or whatever. Maybe he had all three.

It shows what's going on but I think there's a limit to what settings can be changed with it. There are others here that know about it.

JWith regard to the Scura, I have allways had mechanical sympathy for everything I own

Yeah, I carry a hammer too.

The gearchange is as light as a feather

The linkage must be disconnected. There is a nut underneath that often falls off.

The clutch is slightly grabby but that might be me.

You've still got your clutch? It's holding on for dear life, I would say.

The clutch is sharper on the Scuras. I liked the way it operated.

John had the VDST, VSTD, STD or whatever. Maybe he had all three.

It shows what's going on but I think there's a limit to what settings can be changed with it. There are others here that know about it.

:bier::grin:

... grabby ...lurchy? ...palm pilot thingy...

Light clutch has pretty direct action.

Tune-up will hopefully sort lurching (which it shouldn't do). FI settings, valve lash (Manual says Ex .15mm, In .10mm, but I use Raceco settings: Ex .25mm, In .20mm), plugs etc. Rubbers between throttle bodies & head can perish.

John did whip out his Palm Pilot once, but I didn't understand what he was doing :huh: & wandered off to find a beer.

Good luck Mo-biker! Maybe start a new thread re your Scura? Fraid we've hi-jacked this one. Sorry Michael.

Good luck Mo-biker! Maybe start a new thread re your Scura? Fraid we've hi-jacked this one. Sorry Michael.

No worries,misery loves company,.... :drink: