Racing vs standard ECU

madridpunch

The only thing I don't really love about my "new" V11 Cafe Sport is the sound. Those standard pipes just don't do it justice.

The dealer has a pair of MG Ti cans in stock, so I have specified them also, however, the kit it comes from is for the earlier model V11s and so he recommends not fitting the ECU that came with it (something about a lambda sensor on the newer models), but has offered to reprogram the existing one to the same mapping.

So, should or shouldn't I? I really don't know the effect the new ECU will have and whether I would like it better than the standard. Does anyone have experience of both so they can describe, either objectively (torque curves and power etc.) or qualitatively (low down feel, versus "reviness") how the two compare?

I appreciate your advice - and yes I will upload a picture of the bike this evening.

D

Welcome D,assuming your in Madrid?,Netherlands?

This should be in the "Technical Section".

That said,

What year is your bike?Your saying you want to fit an 01 or earlier kit to a 02 or later bike?Don't know what effect that will have,but I have a 02 with proper set Ti's for year.Tried to use the Race ECU but could never get it "just right" put the stock ECU back on and she runs purrfectly!A little more oomph above 5k.These bikes lack the linear power curves of what I would expect from a V-twin,but many have added PC3's to help with the fueling in the lower end of the power band .But in stock form 5-7k is pretty sweet.

I uploaded a sound file of my Ti's ,recorded with a phone, in the file section if you want to get an idea of what they sound like.I don't like loud pipes,because of the nuisance they can be to non-bikers and the attention of the local police they draw,but the Ti's are a nice balance of throatiness without being obnoxious.

By the way they are getting to be very rare to find,so if the price is fair, jump on em if they will work/fit on your bike.

Michael

Welcome D,assuming your in Madrid?,Netherlands?

This should be in the "Technical Section".

That said,

What year is your bike?Your saying you want to fit an 01 or earlier kit to a 02 or later bike?Don't know what effect that will have,but I have a 02 with proper set Ti's for year.Tried to use the Race ECU but could never get it "just right" put the stock ECU back on and she runs purrfectly!A little more oomph above 5k.These bikes lack the liner power curves of what I would expect from a V-twin,but many have added PC3's to help with the fueling in the lower end of the power band .But in stock form 5-7k is pretty sweet.

I uploaded a sound file of my Ti's ,recorded with a phone, in the file section if you want to get an idea of what they sound like.I don't like loud pipes,because of the nuisance they can be to non-bikers and the attention of the local police they draw,but the Ti's are a nice balance of throatiness without being obnoxious.

By the way they are getting to be very rare to find,so if the price is fair, jump on em if they will work/fit on your bike.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Sorry Newbie error! Thanks for moving it.

Madridpunch comes from way back.Now I'm living in Eindhoven.

When you say you couldn't get it "just right" what was wrong?

I listened to the file, but even better the dealer had an earlier V11 with the pipes on, so he showed me for real. He assures me that the earlier pipes will be ok, it is just the ECU that will present the problem. I want to do it, if only for the noise. I spoke to him tonight, and he has offered to put the original mapping back if I don't like the new, so I guess nothing ventured...

I'll let you know how I get on.

DavidL1020173.JPG

TLM is highly regarded here ,so your in good hands.If they say no problem,and will change it if you don't like it ,that's something you could count on from what I've heard from members who darken their door. :thumbsup:

Mine would back fire slightly and be a little rough in the lower revs.Some might not have cared but as I said I got it perfect with the stock ECU.Ive heard others say the same thing,not everybody, but a few.

Nice Cafe Sport :notworthy: So that's got to be an' 03,'04.You may not want to get back on your V7 if your Ohlins is sorted for you and you have the fueling tweaked with a Ti

Enjoy!

Yes it is a lovely bike. Registered in 2007, I think a 2005 model, with only 4300km on the clock - It looks new!

I'm going to leave it with TLM over the shitiest part of the winter, pick it up ealry next spring - if I can wait that long!

I'm turning into a fairwaether biker as I get older!

Thanks for your advice.

David

Yes it is a lovely bike. Registered in 2007, I think a 2005 model, with only 4300km on the clock - It looks new!

I'm going to leave it with TLM over the shitiest part of the winter, pick it up ealry next spring - if I can wait that long!

Thanks for your advice.

David

David I have the Ti pipes and race ECU and like it fine here are a couple vids with sound, sorry I can't offer a technical comparison the bike was set up this way when I got it

Edit to add: beautiful bike David I really like that colour and yes you will like the Ohlins :)

beautiful bike David I really like that colour and yes you will like the Ohlins :)

Thanks devildogg, I'm really looking forward to it - looks like some really good riding roads out there - not so crowded as in my part of Europe.

It was great to have a choice of five V11s in this dealer! I think mine is the nicest!

D

Thanks for your advice.

David

Congratulations with you're V11 Cafe Sport!! I bought mine (also a Café Sport) also at TLM last June with a lot more km's on the gauge, so i'm kind of jealous.... They sell very fast here in west Europe so you're a lucky one with one in such condition.

Greetings,

Mjingen

V11 cafe sport has the IAW15 M Rc ECU instead of the IAW 15M that comes with the ti kit.

Difference is that it reads the lambda sensor, so might mess things when the ti map offers more fuel

but the sensor tells the ECU that AF ratio is high- tries to keep CO close to 1%

Ti ecu map needs CO close to 4% to work properly (adhusted with trim level through axone or other software)

I would say go one step at a time

get the ti cans and use them with standard ECU map for a time -check if it goes lean

then maybe try the ti map if not satisfied

think I have read somewhere that a resistance attached to the lambda fools the ECU to offer max fuel

but not sure where or if I describe it right

• 5 weeks later...

I thought the guy at TLM said that the mapping he would put on would also read the lambda - but I'll ask him again, because it was a kind of "in passing" comment.

D

Hi!

Any news?

I am thinking to flash the Ti map on my V11 that dont have a lambda.

Anyone with experience in this?

Best regards!

I thought the guy at TLM said that the mapping he would put on would also read the lambda - but I'll ask him again, because it was a kind of "in passing" comment.

D

Hi!

Any news?

I am thinking to flash the Ti map on my V11 that dont have a lambda.

Anyone with experience in this?

Best regards!

Hi,

No further news - TLM are looking after the bike until start of March. They sent me a picture the other day with the new pipes fitted and a new back light/number plate hanger. Looks pretty good!

I'll come back to this question when I pick the bike up.

DDSC08290.JPG