Side Stand Electrical Switch...WTF?

2003v11

Ok, noticed my neutral light was starting to not work 100% of the time last fall. Put the bike away and when I came back to it last month, the neutral light did not work at all.

The bike would not start with the side stand down, and if you are in neutral and put the side stand down the bike would die. I have done some reading on here and so looked at the fuses, took the tank off and unplugged the switch wire, plugged it back in, ect. Nothing.

Got fed up with not being able to warm up the bike on its stand, so I removed the switch from it's holder and zip-tied it to the frame (dangerous I know). Now the neutral light comes on (not 100% of the time but better than it was), and if you press the switch button, the bike does not die.

WTF, should I just get a new switch or do you think it is something else? Any good idea on a parts supplier for that switch?

Thanks

Ok, noticed my neutral light was starting to not work 100% of the time last fall. Put the bike away and when I came back to it last month, the neutral light did not work at all.

The bike would not start with the side stand down, and if you are in neutral and put the side stand down the bike would die. I have done some reading on here and so looked at the fuses, took the tank off and unplugged the switch wire, plugged it back in, ect. Nothing.

Got fed up with not being able to warm up the bike on its stand, so I removed the switch from it's holder and zip-tied it to the frame (dangerous I know). Now the neutral light comes on (not 100% of the time but better than it was), and if you press the switch button, the bike does not die.

WTF, should I just get a new switch or do you think it is something else? Any good idea on a parts supplier for that switch?

Thanks

Buy a new neutral indicator switch and sidestand switch. Order them from your normal MotoGuzzi dealer.

I grew up with bikes that had ginormous side stands. As such, I couldn't see the use of side stand switches, so when they get flaky, I just remove them.

It sounds like your problem is the neutral switch; replace it as others above have suggested and you should be ok.

The side stand switch only provides power to the run switch when it is up.

Otherwise, the neutral switch activates the middle relay. Your trouble could be the neutral switch (on the left side of the gearbox), or the middle relay (called the "sidestand relay", but activated by the neutral switch), or very simply the connector to the neutral switch which gets dodgy and crapped up under a little rubber boot behind the starter.

I would start by cleaning the connector. Others have been able to remove the neutral switch and clean it even getting better service from it by switching gearbox oil.

It's not the side stand switch.

As others have pointed out it's the neutral switch giving you trouble, not the sidestand switch/

The sidestand switch is closed with the stand folded up, open with it deployed.

Relay 3 really should be called the neutral relay in my opinion because it's energized with the bike in neutral to

jumper around the sidestand switch.

Guzzi Wiring - Simple.pdf

Shown with the bike in neutral and the stand deployed. The relays are in the de-energized state because the key is off.

As I recall the neutral switch is a switched ground circuit.

The neutral switch itself is just a ground. When the bike is in neutral the switch tang is grounded to the gear set. An easy test would be to pull the single wire lead off the switch and ground it on the bike. Then see if your problem still persists. If it does then I would check the relay and/or the wiring.

The neutral light/switch circuit is switched on the ground side, it should always have power but the switch controls grounding of the circuit and thus power flow.

• 8 months later...

It seems my bike has the same issue. The bike wouldn't start with the sidestand down and the neutral light never comes on. I grounded the wire and the light came on. I pulled the switch and wiped it down, re-installed but no-joy.

Is this a common issue with the V11?

It seems my bike has the same issue. The bike wouldn't start with the sidestand down and the neutral light never comes on. I grounded the wire and the light came on. I pulled the switch and wiped it down, re-installed but no-joy.

Yes, I believe so, mine just started playing up also, might be a good opportunity to replace the pawl spring while you have the side cover off.

When I bought my bike 2 years ago the neutral light didn't work and the sidestand switch had already been removed. I fitted a new neutral switch ( a V50 part!) and that fixed it. I think the s/stand switch is best left disconnected.

I think the s/stand switch is best left disconnected.

:2c: That's what a couple former forum members thought until the day that they took off with the sidestand down. If I recall correctly one just crashed and wasn't seriously hurt. The other (bigbikerrick?) broke an ankle and his bike caught fire and burned.

The switch has never been a problem for me.

The other (bigbikerrick?) broke an ankle and his bike caught fire and burned.

The switch has never been a problem for me.

I bought a big bag of bolts and fasteners from Rick,some slightly charred from that bike,so if you want to donate to my spares shelf feel free to disconnect that switch! :grin:

Yes, I believe so, mine just started playing up also, might be a good opportunity to replace the pawl spring while you have the side cover off.

Side cover off??? The neutral switch is directly below the starter right?