Prize winning Rosso Corsa commits hara- kiri

HaydnR

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are your thoughts on this?

It sounds like the Cafe Sport was crashed really hard if both heads have broken fins. I'd be afraid of an engine that had taken that hard of a hit.

Hopefully Pete Roper will check the pics and take a guess at what happened to Harry's engine.

That Sport Corsa engine at Reboot would be very smooth with those Carillo rods.

there are more options! :P:

Great idea if Harry is feeling brave enough!

May be other costs like new oil uprated pump, and top end refresh to factor in but would make a wicked bike.

I noticed that daytona engine whilst having a look around on Sunday night, it certainly would be interesting. Would need to insure as a special though. The sport corsa looks promising and a more straight forward replacement.

What are your thoughts on this?

It sounds like the Cafe Sport was crashed really hard if both heads have broken fins. I'd be afraid of an engine that had taken that hard of a hit.

Hopefully Pete Roper will check the pics and take a guess at what happened to Harry's engine.

I was thinking along the same lines. I could be wrong maybe he sold the heads but the pics of the bike shows more damage than on the sport corsa.

At the point the engine went bang Harry was just starting an overtake, so the power was on, at a guess about 5000rpm. I drained 2 1/2 litres of oil out so don't suspect oil starvation.

Pure speculation on my part, but if there was 2.5 litres of oil in the sump, this is a litre down on what it should be, and combined with the sloshing from acceleration this could have caused oil starvation maybe?

Just thinking aloud.

Guy

I happen to know of a low milage rossa corsa engine in fife, just a matter of yards away from harrys bike,could be another option. :whistle:

I should have bought that v11 sport around the corner from me.I think it has sold but I will go and see him tonight. Considering a swap with harry and putting a daytona lump in but thinking of issues like fairing not fitting, belt maintainance, oil pump etc.

Although the oil was low I am still doubtful that that was the reason as if it had been sloshing surely Harry would have noticed the pressure warning light on occasion before this happened. And when people have had it glow on acceleration the engine hasn't detonated immediately.

Took the right hand head and barrel off today, head is fine, barrel fooked by flailing conrod striking the bottom edge.

It's a bit of a 'the chicken or the egg' situation there is obvious damage to the bearing shells, crank journal, bolt and end cap but failure of any of the above would have the same result.

P1010534.jpg

P1010533.jpg

P10105312-Copy.jpg

P1010555.jpg

Sorry to hear about this + Good luck with rebuild.

What does Harry say about oil level maintenance? Did he always keep it topped around max?

Is oil light working? Did he ever see it come on when riding?

Did he have a Roper plate in it?

How did he ride it?

KB :sun:

Thank's to everyone for your replies. The engine 'had' 25K miles on it, Harry has owned it for four years, when he bought it had 6K miles on it. As far as we are aware the big end had never been apart.

I went over to Harry's today and had another look at the damaged parts that he had taken home. My initial thought when I opened the engine up was that the conrod bolt had failed, but looking closer agree with those on this and other forums that the bolt failed after the end cap broke proven by the clean break on what appears tho be the weakest point of the end cap and the rolled outer edges of the conrod and cap where they hinged apart until the bolt after bending snapped.

P1010590.jpg

P1010588.jpg

P1010587.jpg

P1010577.jpg

P1010585.jpg

P1010594.jpg

P1010584.jpg

P1010596.jpg

P1010593.jpg

P1010591.jpg

P1010589.jpg

P1010583.jpg