Stuck in 1st gear

dp.guzzi

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen

I am the original owner of a 2002 LeMans. I purchased it new in 2006.

It got stuck in second gear at about 4k miles. Thanks to the good information I got on this website, I was able to have it fixed under warrantee.

Today, the transmission got stuck in first gear. I had to ride it home in first gear for 30 miles. The bike currently has 24,800 miles on it. I would get rid of it except I love the way it looks, I love the way it sounds, and it is a lot of fun to ride.

I am looking for advice.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen

I am the original owner of a 2002 LeMans. I purchased it new in 2006.

It got stuck in second gear at about 4k miles. Thanks to the good information I got on this website, I was able to have it fixed under warrantee.

Today, the transmission got stuck in first gear. I had to ride it home in first gear for 30 miles. The bike currently has 24,800 miles on it. I would get rid of it except I love the way it looks, I love the way it sounds, and it is a lot of fun to ride.

I am looking for advice.

The shift pivot bolt is probably the culprit. Loosen the pivot bolt jam nut at the inside of the pivot 1 turn..........try turning the bolt CCW one turn. Then CW one turn. If the shifter moves with the bolt rotation, you have found the problem. The pivot bolt is threaded into the frame and has a jam nut locking the bolt in place. Remove the bolt and apply liberal amounts of grease to the shifter pivot bore n reinstall.........Good luck !

Thank you all for responding. I will check the links. I am neither enough of a mechanic nor do I have the time to try to fix this myself. What limited free time I have, I would rather spend riding (rode 290 miles today , very therapeutic).

Check pedal & linkages, but sounds like pawl spring to me too: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872

Was it Guzzi shop did warranty work? The pawl arm/spring problem was subject of a MG service bulletin.

KB :sun:

Not actually a Guzzi shop. There are no actual Guzzi shops here. It was a shop that handles multiple brands, sold a few Guzzis, but not a real dealer. But they did the spring replacement under warrantee.

I would rather spend riding (rode 290 miles today , very therapeutic).

WOW... in 1st gear, good effort.

My thoughts exactly. I would not find that therapeutic !!!

Ha ha. No, the 290 miles was on a non-Guzzi with all gears working.

Ha ha. No, the 290 miles was on a non-Guzzi with all gears working.

Hi dp,

I'm in New York and may be able to help ya.Ive had the pre-selector cover many times,not a big deal.PM me if you havent got it sorted yet,Think I have an extra pawl spring also.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Update:

Yes, indeed, it was the pawl spring that failed. It took a while for my mechanic to get the replacement. I wish I had the time and ability to do it myself, but I don't. It cost $300 but it was worth it to be back on the road.

Much thanks to MZNYC for his generous offer to help me fix it. Maybe next time the spring breaks our schedules will coincide better.

Glad it worked out Don.I did have a spare spring and they are about $10 so worth having a spare around in case it happens again,(several have been repeat offenders).Also the pawl arm has a boss on it that was undersized.If yours hasnt been changed the incorrect boss tends to wear the spring out quicker. :bier:

Michael

PS Hope to have the Scura on the road in the next couple weeks if you wanna come up north. :race:

• 4 weeks later...

Some people are born lucky - purchased a spring last week to keep on bike just in case. Today traffic lights in Harewood and no up changes, so home 6 miles in moped mode. 30mph around 3500rpm, quite humbling really after being a noisy hooligan in the sunshine to something like a big red overdressed bicycle :cheese:

Think I'll do a service and give her a bit of TLC next week too :rasta: