tire experiences/preferences

dave

Thanks for that, so presumably a diablo rosso (not 2) is an old stock slightly sportier tyre than the angel. Given the lemans is more rear biased than most bikes the angel front and diablo rear sounds ok, or at least a whimpy rider like me will survive on them until they wear out. I'm still struggling to get my head round how good modern tyres are, and am in awe of anyone who can push even an angel to the limit.

I would be grateful if folks chimed in with their current opinion as to tires for assertive road use...not balls out track days... nor transglobal migrations.

Thanks all!

Horses for courses, but here we go: I have no experience - yet - on a V11, but on my VFR800, two valve BMWs and Ducatis, and an RS1100 I've run various Bridgestones, Michelin Powers and Pilots and Dunlop Roadsmarts.

2CTs suited me most due to best grip, feedback, turn-in and predictability. They seem not to wear much but then get to a point - with plenty of tread left - when they don't want to turn anymore. If I recall correctly, they are much more synthetics than rubber, which may account for that.

Roadsmarts were supposed to be the business but for me they required more effort and were loud, especially the front. Roadsmarts probably had the edge in the wet. The rear squared off badly on an 800 mile two-up and loaded trip but eventually I wore the profile back on local roads in a few weeks. They were fine, but I didn't embrace them.

Bridgestones used to be my favorites, from BT10's, 14's, 20's, 23's and stopped there. Certainly just me, but the feeling was gone. On the other hand, I swear by BT45's on my 18"-wheeled bevel Ducatis. Another class of bike for sure.

For ME the Michelins are the worst money value and best riding value, and therefore worth it. The Roadsmarts may have been better tires than I knew how to use, but I don't like to push to find out. I'd try Bridgestones again because they are quality units but may wait for another iteration.

For ME, it works better to use rubber that's deemed one grade too sporty for the bike in question, with an emphasis on wet performance, because I'm mainly on B roads. This way they heat up easily and give fine grip. Not squeezing high mileage out of tire probably ends up costing $20 - $30 extra a pair but seems worth it.

As others - and my tire dealer - say: They're all damn good these days. The good news is it's hard to make a bad choice!

Bob

....I swear by BT45's on my 18"-wheeled bevel Ducatis.....

Bob, have you tried Pirelli Sport Demons? From what you say, I reckon they'd suit you. I went from BT45's onto them. Great grip, handling, feedback, & tho they wear quick they wear very evenly. Never heard anyone who's tried them say they'd go back to BT45. They're great tyres.

KB :sun:

...presumably a diablo rosso (not 2) is an old stock slightly sportier tyre than the angel...

Sounds about right to me, but I dunno - look how they're listed here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorcycle/tyres Try selecting with the options bar on the left...if you select sport/toring only Angel comes up, but sports brings all the others...hours of fun...

Not mentioned on Pirelli site: http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/motorcycle/catalog.html

Pirelli range confuses me.

Anyhow, I wouldn't bother too much about it, like you say just wear em out & get some new ones.

Bob, have you tried Pirelli Sport Demons? From what you say, I reckon they'd suit you. I went from BT45's onto them. Great grip, handling, feedback, & tho they wear quick they wear very evenly. Never heard anyone who's tried them say they'd go back to BT45. They're great tyres.

Agreed. I've said many times, Tonti frames and Sport Demons are a match made in heaven. :grin:

Must admit never to have tried Pirellis but it's true the guys on belt drive 900SS Ducatis love them. The BT45s are an 18" wheel choice on the old bevels - as opposed to Avons (supply got spotty) and very few others of elderly design and performance favored by BMW airhead iron butts. The Sport Demons do sound like I ought to get some.

Thanks! Bob

Hmmm...

Just went to order 2CTs and found Motorcycle-superstore.com didn't have a front in stock. They have an 'email me when back in stock' box so I entered. Hours later, this appeared:

"Thank you for your interest in the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT Front Tire. Unfortunately we have received notification that this item is no longer available and has been discontinued by the manufacturer.

If there is an alternate item you are interested in or if we may be of further assistance please feel free to contact us.

Sincerely,

Customer Service

Motorcycle-Superstore.com"

Michelin still promotes 2CTs on their website, but it must be said these tires are on special sale at compacc.com and elsewhere. What's next?

The most recent post got me thinking (no laughter please). Some time has past since the last rambling thread on tire choice descended into chaos. I have read them through and what was popular in year X becomes the whipping boy later on.

I would be grateful if folks chimed in with their current opinion as to tires for assertive road use...not balls out track days... nor transglobal migrations. I know I am throwing chum in the water and peeps are likely to have totally different opinions of the same tire, but maybe there are some tires that are more universally liked/disliked than others.

I currently am running Michelin 2CT Pilots. This is my 1st pair and have run them 5k miles maybe. They are wearing evenly with no cupping and show plenty of life left.

I am not a knee dragger so I can't say how they behave when overheated to goo, but to me they seem average or above in stickiness and are progressive about it.

It is hard for me to say how they effect the overall handling of the bike as I have only one other tire set to compare it to.

Thanks all!

+1 on the Michelin 2ct pilot road, offers good grip( i sometimes run them all the way to the edges ) and got 18500ks outa the front and 12000 or so from the rear. Best mileage of any tyre I've had so far that still has gripduim.gif

Was running Bridgestone Bt014 F/021 F

Worked OK.

Don't use the BT014 on the back. It wears in 1500

Prefer Pirelli Diablo Corsa F and Diablo R.

Trying an RP11 R next with a half used BT014 R. Let you know how I get on.

Used RP11 on my Deauville and it was very good.

The most recent post got me thinking (no laughter please). Some time has past since the last rambling thread on tire choice descended into chaos. I have read them through and what was popular in year X becomes the whipping boy later on.

I would be grateful if folks chimed in with their current opinion as to tires for assertive road use...not balls out track days... nor transglobal migrations. I know I am throwing chum in the water and peeps are likely to have totally different opinions of the same tire, but maybe there are some tires that are more universally liked/disliked than others.

I currently am running Michelin 2CT Pilots. This is my 1st pair and have run them 5k miles maybe. They are wearing evenly with no cupping and show plenty of life left.

I am not a knee dragger so I can't say how they behave when overheated to goo, but to me they seem average or above in stickiness and are progressive about it.

It is hard for me to say how they effect the overall handling of the bike as I have only one other tire set to compare it to.

Thanks all!

+1 on the Michelin 2ct pilot road, offers good grip( i sometimes run them all the way to the edges ) and got 18500ks outa the front and 12000 or so from the rear. Best mileage of any tyre I've had so far that still has gripduim.gif

Pilot Power 2 CTs are going on the V11 Le Mans tomorrow, replacing a squared-off, fully worn rear BT20 rear and "new" four year old BT20 front. I've put only 200 miles on the Bridgestones since buying the bike, but will report whatever changes I notice.

Pilot Power 2 CTs are going on the V11 Le Mans tomorrow, replacing a squared-off, fully worn rear BT20 rear and "new" four year old BT20 front. I've put only 200 miles on the Bridgestones since buying the bike, but will report whatever changes I notice.

After 300 miles on the Michelin 2CTs I've noticed the following:

1) Grip in dry and wet is substantially better. After riding daily for 24 years in England you'd think I'm relaxed in wet riding but no. Haven't seen much wet yet in Connecticut, but on fast B roads it's been transition from dry to wet (great test, that) and the Michelins shrug it off. Temperature is key; the tires don't seem to go cold.

2) Braking is better. The first few times coming up to a stop sign it felt like a brake upgrade.

3) No drama. I expected more of a 'eureka' sensation but wondered why there wasn't more of a sense of difference. Then I noticed the speedo said I was going through the same corners 10mph quicker.

4) I'm not using all the tire; not as far over on the edges as it feels yet. Probably me on a new bike and I don't use squishy pressures. Plenty left in reserve, then.

5) I did have a moment on a hot, dry sweeper when both front and rear stepped out. No idea; didn't see anything on the cement surface where oil would have shown easily. Maybe it was just polished there.

I've changed to 2CTs on two other bikes before, a PS1000LE (claimed dry 398 lbs), a VFR 800 (claimed 458 lbs) and, unsurprisingly, the lighter/sportier the bike the better the result. This makes me wonder if the 2CTs are on the sporting edge for the LM (claimed 498 lbs) - and perhaps my riding style.

Let's see how they last!