Guzzi New Helmet - Pricing?

hgravelpha@aol.com

Guest captain nemo

Once again Guzzi is following B=W. It is similar to my German Schuberth helmet and I bet it costs twice as much. I enjoy my chin up helmet, but they are a little breezy unless you have them tightened down. I would recommend a tight fit - no real chin pads. The 'clothing line I've seen so far from Guzzi is pretty pathetic with cheap-o synthetics and undersized shirts and sweaters for Leprechauns. I'm giving Guzzi 4 years to ship up or I'm going to join the old vintage club and forget about it. No, I'll buy a Buell. Time is ticking.

Guest captain nemo

When I see them make sweaters for Leprechauns knitted out of cheap plastic, it makes me doubt the quality of the whole operation. You never find crap like that at Ducati or B=W - or Harley.

I think there is a big difference between the marketing geeks that have the clothing line produced trying to imitatie HD (Guzzi World Club... :wacko: ) and the people that are responsible for the build quality. At the moment they both screw up, it seems, but I'm not buying a bike because their clothing line has durable stichings.

When I see them make sweaters for Leprechauns knitted out of cheap plastic, it makes me doubt the quality of the whole operation. You never find crap like that at Ducati or B=W - or Harley.

Have only been in two HD dealerships, and none recently, so can't compare apparel lines. Also don't care for the stlying of the jackets, etc.

But the MG "Wing" sweatshirt and "Rowing shirt" are both 100% cotton. Have seen the former up close and it looked fairly good.

Hrmm, well at the risk of this turning into a HD "culture" bashing thread(and I don't mean for it to...) .... :rolleyes:

1) First and foremost, as Jaap pointed out, I don't think I would equate the quality of some outsourced branded apparel with the motorcycle itself. I think within a few minutes at any HD boutique, or any shop that sells any manufacturer branded gear, we could all find cheaply made or poorly styled/designed examples. Since the manufacturer rarely makes any of the apparel in-house, and simply licenses it's branded use(if at all), there can't be much of a conclusion derived regarding quality of the bike from apparel. However, indeed while I guess I would prefer than any vehicle manufacter branded clothing would be excellent, I don't factor that into the buying decision for vehicle itself. At the risk of offense(again not meaning any though)... I think that's just silly if anyone bases said buying decision upon that premise. And as an aside, Guzzi does have some excellent branded gear available like the Granraid apparel.

2) I typically don't really want to buy into gearing up into a Guzzi apparel culture as HD has cultivated. Sure, it's been an ecomonic boon to "The Motor Company" but it's far too superficial and just a bit silly to me. To each their own of course, and admittedly I personally own 4 Guzzi related t-shirts, but that's probably about as far as it will go. There's nothing wrong with being proud of your motorcycle, truck, car, etc... brand, and again... to each their own... but at some point it becomes cultish and brain-dead to "buy into" a faux culture by purchasing the company line uniform, trying to be different by being just like every other cliche'd automaton. I would like to think that Guzzi owners are a bit more mature and truly individualistic to care too much about whether they have a complete set of gear embossed with a Guzzi eagle ^_^

For those that profess udying fierce loyalty to any brand, whether it be HD, Chevy, Ford, or any number of other manufacturers... and wear their badge proudly... I wonder how many of them realize that said manufacturer could really care less, and just laughs all the way to the bank every time another branded baseball cap is sold :rolleyes: They have no loyalty to you, honestly.

I think the decision regarding apparel should be pragmatic - is it what you need, is it well made, does it do it's job, and do you like it...

In many respects, while I'd like to Guzzi to endorse/license quality accessories, I hope it never becomes the HD model, as that would be a real turnoff for me.

BTW, I have the Guzzi branded tank-bag. Is it the best out there? Naw, but it's pretty darned nice :thumbsup: Why did I get it? Because it fits :mg: ...pragmatism :thumbsup:

al

I understand where you are coming from, and agree to some degree.

But I don't think it's a direct relation, and again MG makes some good gear and apparel as well, so :huh2:

al

I never have "bought into" the big name brands. Never made much sense to me to pay $20 for a tee-shirt just so that I could be a walking advertisment.

But I did pay for the MG tank bag also, once again it fits.

Doesn't Shoei still make a helmet like that?