New to me Guzzi

DeBenGuzzi

So, I finally got a Griso that I've been lusting after for years so I can be just like my mentor and my hero BFG with having a DD750 and a griso except I'm completely different my DD is black and my Griso is red, totally different. ANYWAY joking around aside the story is my dad hasn't been in my life for the last 27 years and he decided he wanted to buy me a motorcycle so we looked at bikes I sent him suggestions and he sent me $6600 for a 2007 Griso which I got for $6470 I got them down from 7k so out the door taxes and fee's came to 7k, Mistral can, tail rack, flyscreen, guzzi tank bag, new tires and looks mint only 10k mi

well just like the relationship with my dad the bike has a problem, after my 40mi ride home from the dealer the left side of the motor is covered in oil, appears to be a low pressure leak and its not the valve covers really appears to be the timing cover (which was starting to seep on my V11 when I sold it, karma I bet) I don't really want to take this bike back I loved the ride, smooth and more refined than the V11 yet still so visceral and mechanical. The thing only has 10k on it and $6500 with great upgrades a small oil leak shouldn't be a big deal right? I see it I only paid $400 for it.

Hopefully I get get some insight from here or call Mr Roper directly, maybe there are better quality gaskets I can use to replace?

I put those paper towels under the bike and it didn't drip all night but the engine is wet with oil on the left side. hard to get a good photo of that.

photo (32).JPG

photo (31).JPG

photo (30).JPG

photo (33).JPG

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back Ben. Congrat's on the nice looking Griso you got there.

If my new-to-me bike leaked as soon as I left the dealer I would expect them to fix it. Especially if they were a Guzzi dealer. Since you'd rather do it yourself you might want to check with the Griso owners on guzzitech or wildguzzi if nobody chimes in here.

Welcome back Ben. Congrat's on the nice looking Griso you got there.

If my new-to-me bike leaked as soon as I left the dealer I would expect them to fix it. Especially if they were a Guzzi dealer. Since you'd rather do it yourself you might want to check with the Griso owners on guzzitech or wildguzzi if nobody chimes in here.

they don't work on or know anything about guzzi's which is part of the reason I got such a good deal, I'd rather do it myself the thing also had the tank breather valve on backwards(dummies) I talked with Pete roper and have a good idea what it is, how to fix it and it won't cost me more than $5 HELL YES

Great Ben! I'll be watching the roads for you.. do you need help doing that gasket? my Lemans spews a little mist, I "think" it's from the timing cover but isn't bad enough to want to fix it yet.

Great Ben! I'll be watching the roads for you.. do you need help doing that gasket? my Lemans spews a little mist, I "think" it's from the timing cover but isn't bad enough to want to fix it yet.

pete said its probably the phase sensor and that does appear to be where its coming from, hard to get at but east to fix, he suggested some locktite gasket making sealant, I could probably use an extra set of hands to get at it, kinda glad its not a timing cover gasket and can't wait to get some miles on this girl.

Hi Jrt, are you saying noone uses this board or the two listed above?

Still a lot of visitors (over 400 pageviews a day according to Google Analytics) but not that many writers. :oldgit:

I can try and help fix that a little, the resources on this forum are really valuable, the talking maybe not as much but then how fun is that?

There are several threads on the leaky phase sensor which mimics a leaky timing chest. Look at this Oil Leak thread for a good time.

There is an O-ring on the sensor.

(Gotta watch those Goolge Analytics since 326 out of 400 pageviews could be Google Analytics . . .) :unsure:

Well, congratulations Ben, I think!

Congratulations especially for, uniquely amongst these people here, following in my footsteps: though in a backwards kinda way.

I'm sure the leak will be easily fixed and should not be a big concern. I've had a couple of oil leaks from my Griso, though it's not the same engine as yours. One leak was caused by an idiot official service agent (don't make the mistake of having an idiot official service agent work on your bike) and the other was caused by me smashing the right side head into a large concrete road kerb. Obviously no idiocy was involved there.

I fixed both with large amounts of skill and some bits of glue, hammers and stuff. So there you go: keep following in my footsteps and all will be well. Probably best not to follow in my tyre (tire) tracks though.

D

PS

with all this talk of Google Analytics, I was inspired to google 'JRT'.

This is what I got:

img_JRT_flying.jpg

BFG, hey, where'd you get my picture?

68C, I was just yanking your chain. I and many others visit here often, though I have to admit I don't post much anymore. I can detail them in a later post or non-post.