daytona or 1100i

ferguzzi

Spent the day daydreaming about adding to the stable. The original plan was for a norge, but we two up tour so rarely I've decided against it and just rent whenever the urge grabs us.

Which leaves a vacant spot in the garage....

To be honest the whole 1100i, carb or daytona thing is a little confusing. I like them all to look at, but I've ridden an 1100 carb and didn't find it particularly different to my tenni. Nothing massive anyway.

Do the 1100i or daytona differ from the carb much?

And apart from exclusivity(and price), are the 1100i and daytona much different?

I know its a "how long is a piece of string" question, but its raining, and I'm starting to drive the Mrs mad...

The sport 1100i you won't find much difference but the 4v ohc motor found in the daytona/centaro is a completely different beast. There are a few here that are/have building specials using this engine.

I have a '93 Daytona and the wife has a red frame V11, among others.

The basic layout and feel of both of them are not that different. But apart from the difference in the 4 valve motor compared to the 2 valver's, there is also differences in rear wheel diameter between the older versions and the newer ones. All in all while my Daytona, which has been modded in a cafe fashion, handles a lot like my wife's V11 it has a much more long legged feel. It is deceptively fast, easily blowing past 80 without feeling like it is even trying. It is not a completely different beast, but it is clearly not the same. It does feel longer (it is), but with the steeper rake and increased trail of the GSXR front end it manages to hang with the V11 in the twisties. Without that it did steer noticeably slower.

The difference between the gearboxes also adds to the different feel but again my Daytona has been modded, the gearbox internals have been swapped to a set out of a Bassa. It shifts much better now.

The carb and injected versions of the Sport are not likely to be substantially different but I leave that question to someone with more direct knowledge of them.

To be honest the whole 1100i, carb or daytona thing is a little confusing. I like them all to look at, but I've ridden an 1100 carb and didn't find it particularly different to my tenni. Nothing massive anyway.

The 4v HiCam ["8v" in Piaggio-speak] motor in the Daytona also saw use in the Centauro, aka "The Beast:" nothing but good reports about how that motor feels vs. the traditional 2v mill [high maintenance tho'.]

Since the V11 is an evolution of the 1100i, I can't imagine they feel that much different beyond the shorter gearing & closer-ratio 6 spd in the V11. The Daytona has the stonk to make the most out of the tall gearing, and with the broad powerband the old-style 5spd won't be much of a hindrance.

That's just based on hearsay, but it's what I've distilled out of years about reading various accounts. :2c:

The 4v HiCam ["8v" in Piaggio-speak] motor in the Daytona also saw use in the Centauro, aka "The Beast:" nothing but good reports about how that motor feels vs. the traditional 2v mill [high maintenance tho'.]

Since the V11 is an evolution of the 1100i, I can't imagine they feel that much different beyond the shorter gearing & closer-ratio 6 spd in the V11. The Daytona has the stonk to make the most out of the tall gearing, and with the broad powerband the old-style 5spd won't be much of a hindrance.

That's just based on hearsay, but it's what I've distilled out of years about reading various accounts. :2c:

And of course, the Daytona RS is the most gorgeous bike ever, followed closely by the V11 LeMans! :thumbsup:

To me the 4 valve Daytona motor feels like a hot rod tractor. It is deceptively fast, but it feels like it is just lopping along, plowing the field. Tractor pull here I come......

The other thing to add is that my comparison to a V11 is to the early red frame version which has more aggressive geometry, at least compared to the later black frame versions. The stock geometry of the Daytona is closer to the later V11's.

Honestly, while I own a Griso 1100 and am mostly happy with it (sometimes I wish they had put the Daytona motor in it like the original prototype had), there really isn't another current model Guzzi I would buy. But if you want a cool Guzzi and get the opportunity to buy a Daytona or a Centuaro I highly recommend it. They do need a little more care and attention, if for no other reason then their age, but there is a rawness of character that the newer bikes lack.

If you want a Daytona, the RS version has good quality White Power suspension, 17 inch wheels and more power than the earler Daytona.

Neither of them are cheap to buy, and if you do buy one then budget potentially for a new oil pump and cam followers.

The Sport 1100 injection shares the frame and cycle parts from the Daytona RS, has a motor similar to your V11 but with a 5 speed gearbox. The Sporti as standard had a higher profile rear tyre than the RS.

There is a Sport Injection Corsa model of which 200 were made, and these had Carillo con rods and a full Termignoni race exhaust system.

The Sport Carbs have similar motor to the Sporti, are lighter but with an 18 inch rear wheel (I think) and a more fragile gearbox.

Sport Carbs are reasonable cheap, Sportis are a bit more expensive and Daytonas are bloody expensive.

I have a Daytona RS which is a moneypit.

Looking great Jaap!

Have you ever counted up how many bits of your original V11 Le Mans remain on your GB?

Guy :helmet:

Interesting! Lets see...

- spine frame

- swingarm

- brake calipers

- brake, clutch & light stuff on handlebars

- lower triple tee

- 90% of the wiring loom

- rear brake mount (modified though)

- battery

- relais & fuses

- gearbox, shaft and bevel box

- rear axle

- small bits and bobs

That's it!

Thanks for alll the answers, all food for thought.

Sooo...... the 1100 sports aren't really all that different, and buying a bike just because it's pretty seems a bit silly.

The daytona's more of a handful, costs twice as much, but seems a very different prospect with regard to riding. But it costs twice as much.

Of course the other 2 options are a duke 996, or a benelli tre, both same price as an 1100 sport. No one knows how to fix a benelli in Ireland(and they do break apparently), so weirdly the duke's the sensible buy. But I have a feeling I'd be happier on a guzzi! Any guzzi....

So unless you need an engineering PHD to own a daytona, maybe I should start saving my pennies.

Shame because there are a lot of clean 1100 sports out there...

• 1 month later...

hey FG- you ever do routine maintenance on a KTM, like change the oil?

You might check on that. I have a buddy with a 990 Adventure and he gets charged 4-6 hrs labor for it. Apparently plenty of the mechanical & tupperware pieces that have to be tampered. BTW- the guy that owns it is an engineer by profession so I would assume he can accomplish routine maint (?).

On the other hand you don't have to drop the pan like you do on a Guzzi....