03 V11 runs like crap

drewladams

A customer goes into the shop and complains that his car doesn't run well.

The mechanic opens the hood, looks around a bit and goes to get a screwdriver. He then turns one screw, which takes him about 20 seconds. After that, the car runs perfectly. 

The mechanic says to the customer: "That'll be $100."

The customer says: "A hundred bucks? That's ridiculous, all you did was turn one little screw."

The mechanic says: "It's only $2 to turn the screw. It's $98 to know which screw to turn."

• Like 1

Gottagetone,

I remember struggling with a similar low rpm hiccup that was really annoying in parking lot maneuvers - you know, the kind where everyone is looking at you . . . :blush:

I found several issues over time, and I'm sure you are continuing to make things right. :thumbsup:

An rpm specific stumble could be from a TPS that is "bad" at that point. I could not find my bad TPS with the mV function, but when I connected a quality Ohm meter, I could see a consistent "jump" as I slowly opened and closed the TPS. New (HD) TPS, and much improved immediately!

I've lost track of everything you've done already, so forgive me if I repeat: Have you zeroed the CO Fuel Trim? Inspected the 30 amp main fuse for heat damage?

Hey Docc, I've not messed with the CO trim but have checked out the fuse.  When riding the other day the hiccup seemed to not stay at a specific RPM.  Im taking it in this morning and will go over everything that I have done with the tech and see what he comes up with then report back.

I would be most curious where the CO fuel trim is (pre)set; often as low as minus 30. Sure, it's an "arbitrary scale," but moving tit to zero might make a surprising difference, especially at the low throttle openings.

For certain, the TPS has been baselined? (Again, apologies for not totally rereading the thread)

They called to say my bike was ready and that its running like a top.  From what I understand they messed with the CO #s a good bit with the reading starting out at a -23 and needing to be reset to a +16.  They also replaced the balance hose as it had signs of wear and crimped the plug wires a bit as they appeared to not be as tight as they should have been and reset the angle of the TB.  They did say that the TBs were balanced perfectly.....at least I did something right.  

The tech mentioned that the battery was struggling a bit and could use a replacement.  The battery is two years old and when its cold it really struggles to get the bike started.  I was thinking about a Li-Ion battery and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for any type of battery?

Ill pick it up tomorrow and see if all is well....fingers crossed!

Sounds like Docc was right again....

Aw, shucks . . . :blush:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm so, so happy with the way my Sport is running. But it hasn't always been that way and remember well the frustration. At one point, I was considering learning shop-grade cursing in Italian. :o

Seriously, though, marginal battery condition is (IMHO) a source of constant, niggly trouble with these V11. I've been conducting some further investigation on the charging  requirements of the AGM battery and it has been a real education. Don't give up on that battery until we can sort out its conditioning.

Sounds like Docc was right again....

Aw, shucks . . . :blush:

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I'm so, so happy with the way my Sport is running. But it hasn't always been that way and remember well the frustration. At one point, I was considering learning shop-grade cursing in Italian. :o

Seriously, though, marginal battery condition is (IMHO) a source of constant, niggly trouble with these V11. I've been conducting some further investigation on the charging  requirements of the AGM battery and it has been a real education. Don't give up on that battery until we can sort out its conditioning.

Me too, but it took awhile. I was considering getting rid of the bike. Now I am ashamed of my lack of forza d'animo...

Re: charging-

Lighten the load on the alternator and go LED front and back....

So I went to pick up the bike yesterday and ended up returning it as it was not fixed.  It was still pipping and backfiring into the intake....not happy.  I left it overnight and they called back today and said they had to reset the TPS and angle and all was good.  Fortunately the cold front had just blown in.....not really...when I got to the shop to pick it up.  They had me take it for a spin and BOOM....all is good!  

These bikes are awesome but finicky at best.  I think now that all is right with the bike that I will download the guzzitech software and order a cable so I can see how that all comes together.  

Im also prolly going to purchase a Deltran / Battery Tender BTL18A300C lithium phosphate battery and charger.  Its right at the same size as my current battery but pumps our 300cca @ 16-18ah and weighs in at 2.1lbs.  Amazon sells the full set up with quick disconnect for $185 with the option to add the quick connect usb piece for $11 more.  

Thanks again for all the help!

Good luck with the Lithium battery.

I have not tried that particular one yet but the two different brands I have tried left me less than impressed.

Good luck with the Lithium battery.

I have not tried that particular one yet but the two different brands I have tried left me less than impressed.

How so?

(After all this time, I am just barely coming to understand the care and feeding of the AGM . . .   :blush:   )