What's the difference between a Daytona and Daytona RS?

milar

Does the Daytona have 18" wheels?

What would one expect to pay for a nice Daytona?

Mike

8 to 10k The Daytona RS is a much more capable motorcycle.

As I recall the early Daytona's have 18" wheels front and rear (shame on me for not being sure as I have one, but I no longer have the stock front end on it but I know for sure the rear wheel is an 18 incher).

At some point they switched to 17" wheels.

The Daytona and Daytona RS are the same basic bike but the RS is the end model with all the good bits and improvements that they came up with. The original front forks on the early version (mine) was horrible. The later versions may be better. But I swapped to a GSXR 1000 front end, complete with lightweight wheel, radial brakes, stupidly rigid forks, and what not. Way better then any front end on any version of the Daytona.

They are truly cool motorcycles that hark back to a different feel. The V11 is great, more refined and a better day to day motorcycle. But the Daytona has a raw feel and is deceptively fast. My favorite bike.

• 2 months later...

Are the differences significant?

Is one preferable to the other?

Mike

RS has 17 inch wheels, faster motor, better suspension, different ECU, same bodywork as Sporti.

I prefer the looks of the earlier model.

Aesthetically the Daytona RS and Sport 1100 body work is nearly identical but the heads are different so it is very subtle but the front fairings are specific to the Daytona RS and vice versa on the Sport 1100/1100i.

I also prefer the looks of the Daytona 1000 to the RS. I guess being a Sport owner I feel they could have done better with the RS than just lifting the styling from the Sport. I've always likened it to looking like a 4V Sport. The Daytona RS should have been set apart with it's own appearance. That said both the Daytona 1000 and the RS are bad a** and I'm sure either will draw a crowd wherever you stop.

It is possible to put the old style bodywork on a Daytona RS. My RS has pattern race bodywork from the same moulds as the original Raceco Daytona:

22297_10151502042244816_1019560759_n.jpg

I have a couple of rough unfinished spare fairings for sale if anybody needs one.

Guy :helmet:

I wish you were not so far away as I am building a twins racer from an Aprilia 550 and would love either Daytona or MGS01 bodywork.

I love the look of that screen fitted here. More bold than the original. Where did you get that?

because I need a new one!

well ya kinda farked that up didnt ya... Iv always got my screans fron Eagle Screans in Aussie or Godiva in NZ might do one.