2004 ballabio stuck in first -- literally

gothamAlp

hello all -

i have a 2004 ballabio that has been trouble-free since i purchased it used in 2009. coming up on 22k, it's been sitting a lot recently but performing just fine when i take it out, until yesterday...

started fine, pulled away fine and then simply would not get out of 1st gear, either running & moving, standing still or with the engine off. last time i rode it (2 weeks ago?) it shifted without incident and nothing happened in the meantime other than it sitting in the corner of the garage.

i rode it, in first, at 20mph, across town to my local garage (eurogeek in flagstaff, az) where the my mechanista also could not find anything obviously wrong; we looked at the owner's manual PDF together and he's planning on opening up the transmission to see what's what, but i thought i'd post here to see if anyone has any guidance that might save us a lot of time.

any tips, suggestions, warnings or prayers welcome.

thank you.

hello all -

i have a 2004 ballabio that has been trouble-free since i purchased it used in 2009. coming up on 22k, it's been sitting a lot recently but performing just fine when i take it out, until yesterday...

started fine, pulled away fine and then simply would not get out of 1st gear, either running & moving, standing still or with the engine off. last time i rode it (2 weeks ago?) it shifted without incident and nothing happened in the meantime other than it sitting in the corner of the garage.

i rode it, in first, at 20mph, across town to my local garage (eurogeek in flagstaff, az) where the my mechanista also could not find anything obviously wrong; we looked at the owner's manual PDF together and he's planning on opening up the transmission to see what's what, but i thought i'd post here to see if anyone has any guidance that might save us a lot of time.

thank you.

I suggest you to see this topic:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872

And this is my experience:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16930

Wellcome to the pawl arm spring club (I think)

Regards.

Also Gotham,if you are going to look at it yourself,it really is very simple,here's the list,in order of how to get her off,...ah so to speak :whistle:

Put bike in Neutral

Warm bike up to temp,dump trans box fluid save it if it's recent,replace if it been more than a couple seasons

***IMPORTANT*** Disconnect battery,Neg first,then Pos,be careful not to touch ECU leads.

Take off starter cover

Take off connections to starter

Take off shock remote

Disconnect neutral switch

Remove starter

Disconnect gear change linkage

Remove the 11?! bolts that hold on cover,may have to tap off with a rubber mallet and yer in

Take note of the position of the selection gears there should be two indents to indicate alignment

Yours may have extra bracing that Guzzi added later,mine doesn't

hello all -

thank you.

Make sure the shift lever is NOT stuck. Loosen the shift lever pivot bolt to see if it is the problem. You might just have to remove and lubricate it.

• 2 weeks later...