Plastic fuel line fittings

Motormike

Well, as I get to know my 2004 Coppa , I find more things that are not quite right about it.  Always a risk when you buy a used bike.  Just noticed that the PO or his mechanic must have broken off one of the plastic fuel tank elbows (the white one) and has also removed both quick release fittings on the fuel lines and just using common hose clamps.  The missing white fitting has been replace with a brass elbow.  Don't know how well it was fitted to the plate just yet, as the tank is full of gas, and will have to wait for a closer inspection.  The red plastic fitting is still there, but appears to have a very slight leak (weep).  I know the plastic elbows are not available as a separate part, and are a common part to break.  I'll replace the hose clamps with Oetiker ear clamps, but what is the best way to deal with the leaking or broken plastic elbows?

Thanks, lots of good photos there that show the problem.  Not so much as to the best way to go about a repair.  I found it interesting that in the photos of the fuel pump flange, there is only one fuel line fitting (fuel out) and no return line(?)  I've never heard of a fuel injection system that does not have a return line to the tank.  Funny how each one of these bike is a "one off." No two seem quite the -same.  My research found that McMaster-Carr sells stainless steel elbows rated for gasoline.  Might be the best way to go.  Have to wait until I have a reason to pull the fuel pump.  As I said, it's not leaking now, so I'll leave well enough alone until it's time to change the filter.   

I took the fuel pump to a machinist and had it threaded for a brass nozzle after I broke mine.

The threads need to be cut correctly (I forget what that was called, "pipe threads" perhaps?) like for any fitting that needs watertightness (or fuel-tightness.) Then a little plumber's silicone tape for good measure and I haven't had any leaking so far.

http://splicer.com/2012/07/17/breaking-perfectly-good-fuel-pump

IMG_0608.jpg IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0619.jpg

Pipe thread has a taper thread that will tighten as it is screwed into the mating part. I use "Leak-Lock" or liquid pipe sealer instead of teflon tape. The fitting you are using has too many barbs on it. There are fittings with a single barb for repeated unhooking and use a fuel injection hose clamp that will not mar the fuel line.

• Like 2

The old plastic elbow can be a pain to remove from the pump assembly because it has a toothed washer holding it in place, so you may need to carefully drill it out.

The new one will need to be delicately tapped in with a light mallet.

Pipe thread has a taper thread that will tighten as it is screwed into the mating part. I use "Leak-Lock" or liquid pipe sealer instead of teflon tape. The fitting you are using has too many barbs on it. There are fittings with a single barb for repeated unhooking and use a fuel injection hose clamp that will not mar the fuel line.

I hope there won't be a next time, but if there is I'll know better. Thanks!