Ninth South'n Spine Raid 2013

docc

Last nights weather forecast looks like a winner for the weekend. This has been the hottest its been all summer but a nice break rolling in on Thursday evening. I have some family in town for a few days so I might not get down there on Friday evening but will meet up with you folks Saturday. Are you heading up 360 to 72 to get to 129? Patrols on the dragon have been pretty heavy, several motor officers and Blount Co. sheriff have had some speed (radar) traps at the end of the Dragon. (don't ask me how I know!)

Hey, waspp! Thanks for the confirmation on the weather! We'll go from muggy with highs in the mid-nineties here in Middle Tennessee to that crisp mountain air and lows in the fifties. The V11 just drinks that up like a Labrador retriever leaping out of a boat!

Saturday's plan is breakfast buffet at The Lodge, roll out about nine on TN165, onto the Cherohala, then US 129 north to the Tail of the Dragon. We hang out at the store for an hour or so in case others rendezvous (Mike and Joe!) or some want to ride The Dragon. More than once, we've had our folks get in incidents or "conversations" up there. I tend to avoid the place beyond enjoying the carnival atmosphere at The Crossroads.

Somewhere around noonish, we'll roll NC 28 past Fontana to Franklin for lunch and return west-northwest along Wayah Rd to Robbinsville and back across the Cherohala. Round trip shows 226 miles on the Garmin GPS.

the weather looks better but the lodge is full.  they tell me the nearest motel is 17 miles away.

perhaps next year I'll get organized and make it.

John, I'm working on your options. Watch your cell for text message.

good to go, good buddy.  I'll be on my way tomorrow

btw- if anyone has some extra valve cover gaskets, it would be great if you'd being them.  For some reason my left side gasket was leaking last week, and the right one today.  As a result, I've used both my spares, the last one I was going to take with me.  Don't know why this is happening.

the weather looks better but the lodge is full.  they tell me the nearest motel is 17 miles away.

perhaps next year I'll get organized and make it.

John, I'm working on your options. Watch your cell for text message.

I think LowRyter has forfeited his shot at "Longest Distance" award since he is obviously getting help in lodging and who knows what else from the Raid leader.

OTOH, if he'll buy a round, I'm OK with it.   :bier:

Bill

Bill,

metcha at Elkador National.  You and your better half were on a Red Norge.  My wife and I were on the Red & White EV.  I think it was at Pike's Peak Park.  :oldgit:

Looks like I'll be sharing a room on Saturday with Rick.  But it's OK if you wanna share your Jacuzzi.  :grin:

I am taking some backroads through the Ozarks.   :bike:   I just retired and haven't ridden the Dragon in a few years and never before on the Greenie.   :helmet:

Bring your spare valve cover gaskets    :luigi:   and hide your scotch.  :bier:.    I have room to pack a few cigars.  :rasta:

John L sends

Bill,

metcha at Elkador National.  You and your better half were on a Red Norge.  My wife and I were on the Red & White EV.  I think it was at Pike's Peak Park.  :oldgit:

Looks like I'll be sharing a room on Saturday with Rick.  But it's OK if you wanna share your Jacuzzi.  :grin:

I am taking some backroads through the Ozarks.   :bike:   I just retired and haven't ridden the Dragon in a few years and never before on the Greenie.   :helmet:

Bring your spare valve cover gaskets    :luigi:   and hide your scotch.  :bier:.    I have room to pack a few cigars.  :rasta:

John L sends

Howdy, John.

Of course I remember ... but did not make the connection; thanks for the reminder.

As much as we love Virginia and the upland east coast generally, we will always be grateful that my job "forced" the temp move to the midwest.  The "driftless" region of SW Wisconsin, NW Illinois, SE Minnesota, and NE Iowa will always call me.

IMG_7394.jpg

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/billkathi/Wildguzzi%20Sump/IMG_7392.jpg[/img

We look forward to seeing you.  I actually may have some gaskets around; will look.  Definitely bringing some "multiple corn," as opposed (tho I am not!) to single malt.  

Oh, uhm, make other tub plans.   :D  :P

Bill

I'll be sad when this rally is over,  really enjoying following this thread.

Somehow I always imagine riding in the USA to be so much more fun than our 70mph traffic jam on the local dual carriageway in the pouring rain with a police car not far behind and speed cameras in front. Fuel at £1.50 a litre.......

I'll be sad when this rally is over,  really enjoying following this thread.

Somehow I always imagine riding in the USA to be so much more fun than our 70mph traffic jam on the local dual carriageway in the pouring rain with a police car not far behind and speed cameras in front. Fuel at £1.50 a litre.......

As with childhood done well, the SSR is never really over.  :race:

And, of course, you could come over for #10.  Flight and Tellico room are on you, but suspect that, lodging, beer, and BS before and after Raid likely available from many Guzzisti gratis.  We live about 70 minutes from Dulles.  Fly into there and you can stay with us and take your pick of Griso, Norge, or EV as a mount for SSR.  Ditto return.

Bill

Hey Docc, looks like I will finally be up in the area for an SSR.  I have tried every year but always had a conflict, this year I still had to wait too long to get a room but at least I got away. 

I'm picking up a new bike in Dahlonega tomorrow but bringing the Coppa along too and hope to get to meet and ride with all of you on Saturday.  I couldn't get into Tellico so staying in Murphy with the US Desmo guys but will plan to be at the Gap around 10:00 Saturday and ride out the day with you guys.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!