Ninth South'n Spine Raid 2013

docc

Thanks for the superb write-up Bill ... even with your mid-ride drama (glad both you and your bike are repairable) ... it made your adventure feel very real!.

I had driven some of those roads 30 years ago and thought about biking them back then .... now I want to ride that area more than ever! I hope when I do it will be to join a future raid!

Had a great time riding with you guys on Saturday, it was nice to get to meet everyone, great group! 

Bill - sorry to hear of your mishap, have enjoyed so many of your pics and captions in the past I was really looking forward to meeting you, glad you are ok.

Hopefully next time I will get into the host hotel and enjoy the after ride festivities (and will get help unloading the Coppa -Doh!)  

Had a great time riding with you guys on Saturday, it was nice to get to meet everyone, great group! 

Bill - sorry to hear of your mishap, have enjoyed so many of your pics and captions in the past I was really looking forward to meeting you, glad you are ok.

Hopefully next time I will get into the host hotel and enjoy the after ride festivities (and will get help unloading the Coppa -Doh!)  

Man, it occurred to me that if you were there with us, you would have had extra, caring hands unloading your Coppa. Ramping just scares the ear wax outta me.

Keep us posted in Technical Topics on the mods to the headlamp/instruments. Really great to meet you and have not just one , but TWO Coppa Italia at an SSR!

The best (unorganized) group ride I have ever been on.  Warner and I had a very enjoyable three days.  Good people, lodging, food, weather, campfires, and riding.  What more could one ask for?.  I felt like I belonged even though I was riding a Japanese double stack V-twin.  Thanks to all.  

Hope to see some of you again at Barber's.

I just got back home.  About 2500 miles.  I like the Sport but wouldn't call it a touring bike.  My legs got a little cramped.  Mileage ranged from 32 to 40.   Mostly 34.

Docc, thanks for putting me up and putting up with me.

Spent an extra day in Nashville.  Thanks Rick for the guide work getting me there. 

Bill, sorry about your accident, hope to see you soon.  You were there in spirit.  Your fellow countryman, "The Chancellor" was a real hoot.

Thanks all for the good company, the great rides and the good food.  That was quite a roller coaster to Franklin.  I'd say that we had well skilled riders, no crashes.  Unfortunately, I did get a ticket.

Hope to be back again.  Did anyone find us on Killboy?

LowRyter, glad to hear you're okay and back to OK. Really enjoyed your company and pretty amazing, I think, a flat-lander could launch off into those roads, at that pace, on a V11 Sport! Well done!! :thumbsup:

I know we teased you a lot about the ticket, but they are always unfortunate. Plead for "online traffic school!"

Hope to see you at Barber's Vintage Festival . . . :mg:

morning shots begin here.

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK022C060000&po=0&pc=1147

afternoon shots begin here:

http://killboy.photoreflect.com/store/Orderpage.aspx?pi=04RK022C061094&po=1094&pc=1147

you can follow the sequence of riders from these photos.  Too bad there were few morning shots when were pushing it rather than cruising home in the afternoon.

LowRyter, glad to hear you're okay and back to OK. Really enjoyed your company and pretty amazing, I think, a flat-lander could launch off into those roads, at that pace, on a V11 Sport! Well done!! :thumbsup:

I know we teased you a lot about the ticket, but they are always unfortunate. Plead for "online traffic school!"

Hope to see you at Barber's Vintage Festival . . . :mg:

It's a challenge keeping the Sport reined in because there is a lot more left.  It's a very stable handling machine and forgiving.  I was concerned keeping the speed down and didn't want to risk another ticket.  Some of the roads were blind and I won't go over a hill or corner faster than I can see- I got fooled once and nearly drove into a driveway when it appeared the road was turning that way.  I think that was the only time I crossed the yellow unintentionally.

The bigger challenge is sitting on it for 100+ miles at a time and burning up tires on the interstate.  My legs get cramped on it. Next time, I am pulling a trailer like I've done before.  

The ticket has been paid ($141) and no record  :bbblll:

Interesting, KillBoy's morning started with the sequence (#01-10) of waspp eastbound on his Rosso Corsa chasing us down. The rest of us were about a minute ahead before the camera started rolling.

The afternoon actually begins here at #1077 with Warner on that fabulous TL 1000!

The last KillBoy pics that day (#1138-1147): docc behind a Harley about 5 minutes behind the Spine Raiders.

I just love the way the Guzzi stands its outboard cylinder straight up in deep corner!!