Lowering a V11 Sport, possible?

Goosed Again

Got my bike the other day, 2000 V11 Sport, that I kinda rescued from a guy that had taken it as payment for money owed. He had let it sit for a while in a car port, semi exposed. Got it cheap, sent it to Werkstatt in SF, where the bike was from. Anyways, the shipper dropped it here the other day and I find it tall for my 5'5" body. I purchased a Corbin Gunfighter seat that some had recommended to bring me down a bit but I don't think it will be enough. I'm presently touching ground with one toe and the worst part is I have to travel 300 yards of gravel with the last 100 yards being about a 6% grade to get to the highway. Am I screwed? Do I need to break out a pair of disco boots or is there another way to get an inch or so off the height?

Also, I noticed my rear shaft drive is exposed, is it supposed to be this way? The most modern Guzzi I've had to this point was a '78 Lemans so maybe things have changed a bit since then.

Thanks

You should be able to rise the forks a bit and lower the rear ride height by adjusting the rear shock, but it will be a marginal difference. Maybe in combination with the custom seat you will be fine.
Drive shaft is exposed on all V11 models, no worries.

Here's some shots of the bike (2000 Sport) as well as the gravel road just before the highway, definitely one to be traveled cautiously!

And some things I'm looking for in case anyone has spare parts hanging around collecting dust:

Front fender has a couple of cracks

Oil cooler is zip tied, works but brackets with bushings and screws would be nice.

Shop stand for the rear end.

Tool kit for under seat.

Bar end weights

Gonna be out of town for a couple of months, worse comes to worse I can get these from MG when I return.

IMG_3460_2.jpg

IMG_3461_2.jpg

IMG_3462_2.jpg

IMG_3457.jpg

PM me about a front fender......... I have a perfecly good one. I think someone sells a jazzed up oil cooler bracket , Google it to see if they do. Get the rest of the things from MG Cycle. You could also try Moto International for parts...

Got a Corbin Gunfighter just now and went to toss it on, didn't quite fit so that it would lock in the back but not that big of a deal as it really isn't any lower then my stock seat. Bummer.

I guess I'll have to have my seat carved almost down to the pan to get my toes on the ground.

Nice bike.  You can drop the forks 10mm and that is the accepted mod for these bikes from all the reading I have done around here and on the other forums.  That will make some difference.  From the pic the rear spring is out quite a bit but it looks to have a little left on the thread?  The other is what rear tire size is on it?  A 160, as many recommend around here, will drop it a little more from a 170 or 180.

Question, how do you like the sounds from the pod filters?  I put a set on mine but I still have stock mufflers and they sounded terrible.  Kind of like a choking pig with gas..........  Maybe Mistral's and I will try them again?

My wife is 5' 5" and she has no issues riding her V11. We have not lowered it. You probably can cut down the seat but it seems a shame as the stock seat is pretty comfy. I would start by dropping the suspension 10 - 15 mm.

Is there a detailed list or sequence somewhere on how to drop it the 10 - 15 mm? There's about an inch of thread showing on the rear spring. And what special tools are required?

The tires are Metzler Sportec M-1's 180 in back, 120 up front

Just jack the front end up at the triple tree or hang it from something and loosen the upper and lower triple tree pinch bolts.  Lower the bike down and measure 10mm from the top of the fork to the upper triple tree.  There are plenty of threads.  Let some one else do it if you don't have the capability.   On the rear shock need a spanner or a strap wrench or if you don't care about cosmetics a flat screw driver and a hammer...ouch, can't believe I said that ;-()

The tire is a problem.  Too big for the red frames anyway.  A 160 will help!

i have a lowered saddle that came on my '02 Le Mans when i bought it few yrs. ago. it was done by Rich's custom seats in seattle area. (xlnt website)

it has a leather cover, is beautiful. didn't use it, it's too short for me, i'm 5'8&1/2" 

it is in my estimation 1 1/2  to 2" lower.

notice you're in So Oregon, i'm 50 mi. north of portland if you're travels take you that way.

i'd like $175 plus shipping.

cheers, steve   saddle

edit, the cowling doesn't come with, just the saddle