V11 Le Mans (2005) Engine Oil

Retroman

Seems 5W-40 was spec'd for the later V11 (2003-) with oil sprayers under the pistons.

No mention of anything less than 10w-30 in the early spec's. Looks like it would be good to 33˚C/91˚F;  and 20w-40 or 50 from freezing up.

And "SG" - good luck finding that amount of ZDDP.

Above all- avoid "friction modifiers" or "energy conserving" oils for passenger cars.

Your sweet little virgin cylinder walls will thank you!

Thanks, but my manual from thisoldtractor is a 2002 edition.

I'm not following you re temp range. As I understand 5w40 is meant to cover freezing to "frying eggs on pavement". Yet many prefer going to a higher range of weights.

In my case I don't ride winter and pretty hard to get over 33C but I climb a lot of long hills, sometimes held up following trucks.

There is a semisynth 15w50 Diesel extra Zinc, recommended for bikes, I could get into instead. What do you reckon?

Also, to add to my confusion, one of the old hands posted something about our motor fins being excessive and overcooling.

I have been taught to use fully synthetic or not . A semi blend just isn't as good . Use one or the other.

There are all kinds of additives specific to diesel v gasoline engines . Stick with engine oils for gas engines .Someone posted earlier about a GM Engine oil supplement being good. Search for it or they might repost .

I was about to call AGIP/ENI USA when I saw Fast By Ferracci carry the MG spec'd motor oil, so I ordered 4 liters ($55.00 shipped)  from them.

They may drop ship from AGIP/ENI directly, not sure. 

@Zooter:  Your Tenni and my Scura are both 2002. I believe the engine and drivetrain are identical, except for some reason the Tenni won't keep you wondering when she's going to frag you with flywheel shrapnel - where's her sense of adventure?

I was fortunate enough to get the original owners manual with mine and thought you might like to see the page with the all the fluid specs.

Engine oil is Agip 4T 20W50 (synthetic) - no options. I'm going to use Maxima, because it's easy to find here. Maxima's Pro-Plus is fully synthetic and 4T rated, not a blend - just like the Agip 4T. A gallon of it is US$37 on Amazon. I think you mentioned elsewhere that you can get Amazon shipments into NZ pretty easily.

So for me, this is a pretty easy decision; just follow the instructions.

As for final drive and transmission oil, I'm also following the directions (as slightly modified by my dealer to use the same oil for both). However, others seem to have had good experiences with milkshakes, smoothies, or lemon custard. I'll look into that some more when it's time.

PS - With the Scura I also get to ignore the fork oil recommendation.   :sun:

Oil isn't flying Amazon. Too heavy and too flammable!

I wonder how different Scura and Tenni are under the ( badly painted ) cases. Afaik it's the same fragile single plate clutch. Don't know about piston sprayers.

There may be geographic versions of the manual accounting for more hot dessert conditions in US than Europe?

Penrite HPR range are described as non friction modified and then :

" Not suitable for diesel vehicles fitted with a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter). HPR 15 features the Penrite EXTRA TEN in the oils SAE rating. The EXTRA TEN helps protect your engine by using an oil that has a higher viscosity at operating temperature than what is normally specified, thus providing better protection and reducing engine wear in all driving ..." Which sounds like modification of friction???

To my limited knowledge, no diesel oils will be friction modified. I believe any 15W-40 or thicker oil will not be friction modified. At least in the States, friction modified oils come with a "star"  "Energy Conserving" label. Honestly, I learned to avoid friction modified oil listening to Pete Roper, and I trust his advice explicitly; same goes for what gstallons says.

My post on temperature range simply reflects the lightest oil for the early motor is 10W-30 and the chart does not recommend it above 33˚C ambient (not thick enough for me, here).

Also, the Tenni, Scura, and Rosso Mandello are the models with the single plate clutch; no piston sprayers until the 2003 model year (along with tight, black engine paint and the tank with internal filter/pump).

Is that their "V-Twin" oil? I've used that quite a lot and still have my big ends.

I presume they formulated that for big displacement, air-cooled, flat tappet, push-rod motors. I don't think it's SG rated, but again, not likely to find that now.

I have been taught to use fully synthetic or not . A semi blend just isn't as good . Use one or the other. There are all kinds of additives specific to diesel v gasoline engines . Stick with engine oils for gas engines .Someone posted earlier about a GM Engine oil supplement being good. Search for it or they might repost .

The stuff I'm looking at is fully synthetic, non friction modified, recommended for high performance petrol gas and light diesel, 15w/60.

1800ppm Zn, close enough?

I have been taught to use fully synthetic or not . A semi blend just isn't as good . Use one or the other. There are all kinds of additives specific to diesel v gasoline engines . Stick with engine oils for gas engines .Someone posted earlier about a GM Engine oil supplement being good. Search for it or they might repost .

The stuff I'm looking at is fully synthetic, non friction modified, recommended for high performance petrol gas and light diesel, 15w/60.

Sounds perfect. I forget the Zn/P ppm for SG - seems like it was well over 2000, but I forget.

I have basically no idea what you guys are talking about, so I figured I'd try to learn something. I just serviced my Husky, including an oil change (so I can beat it up in Arizona next weekend). I used Maxima's Premium4 20w50 petroleum - looked at the label and whaddya know? The label claims that the contents exceed SG specs - so I guess that's good.

And the Maxima ProPlus (full synthetic and motorcycle specific) 20w50 that I plan to use on the Scura next time also exceeds SG specs. I looked up the Mobil 1 V-twin and 4T oils on Mobil's website - and they do not claim to exceed SG specs (and neither did any other stray oil on my shelf - I looked at 'em all)

@Czakky - sounds like you and Docc had good experience with the Mobil 1 product and I really have no idea why SG is Supposedly Gooder. But Mobil 1 and Maxima are about the same price - and it sounds like another credible source recommended Maxima earlier in this topic. Besides, the Mobil 1 V-Twin product has a picture of a cruiser on it - who wants to look at that?

I may be lost, but this topic has helped me decide what oil I'm going to use. I am just going to use the Maxima, because it is SG: So Good, or Super Groovy, or Slippery Gears, or...

Carry on.........